• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Super 15: Blues - Stormers in Auckland (20-05-2011)

Unfortunately Joe didn't have a great game yet again, he was kicking the ball away (aimlessly). He made one AMAZING break shrugging off a handful of tackles only to get nailed in the biggest hit of the match.

Guess we had different takes on the match. Haha.

Guess we had different takes on the match. Haha.

Lol, that's 2 people that's disagreed with me.
For me, i'm comparing his play today compared to how he used to be a few years ago. His breaks used to potent, as he'd run into players only to break from them again. This season he seems to run into walls and when he realises that he's not getting passed the advantage line he ends up kicking the ball away (he's not guilty of being the only one to kick aimlessly tonight though) and passing to whoever is supporting him. The only time i saw him using the ball positively was on a turnover ball, counter attacking when he played more instinctually. He didn't have enough time to think about the ball in his hand and he did what came naturally: he ran. It seems like when he gets time on the ball his mind races with a lack of confidence and he gets rid of it before he gets into contact.

For me, as a critic of the once-great winger, he didn't do anything tonight to keep me quiet as per his performance.

Brett should be the All Blacks number 2, in my opinion

get-out.jpg

Damn, didn't get to see this game. Will have to wait for the highlights!

From what i've seen of Brett, they should try him at fullback. Even though his tackling isn't great i'd like to see him running in broken play without the responsibility of running a back line. I remember on his first season of Super Rugby for the Crusaders he scored a scorching try by breaking the line and skinning the wing and fullback. Think it was against the Hurricanes. Or maybe try him at 12. 10 obviously isn't his strong suit.

Well his misfortunes at flyhalf cost them and that silly kick by a forward that went straight out was a momentum shift.

Very nice game that showed if you want to lose a match, you're gonna lose it. And of course, if you really want to win it, there's good chance you're gonna do it, no matters who you're fielding at that moment, no matters injuries or whatever...

I'm really impressed by Sadie and Brok Harris, particulary this one has changed the scrum!
Poor display of tactical and kicking rugby by Blues back three, they played without those 3 players, but Jantjes and Aplon did very well, and so did Duvenhage ad 10. IMHO Habana needs a long, long rest.

Poor refereing... Flo sin bin was correct, but there shoud be 2 Blues players binned as well! Anyway, the try to me seemed clear, Burger dived and touched on the line... but the streaming wasn't the best one, so there have been other things I didn't noticed?!

This season he seems to run into walls and when he realises that he's not getting passed the advantage line he ends...

More often then not Joe does pass the advantage line. Hes got strong leg drive so hes never easy to fullstop or put down straight away.

From what i've seen of Brett, they should try him at fullback.

Might not be a bad idea. Lachie did a few kicks that were just basically turnovers, hes ok Lachie but Im not sure if fullback is his position.

Well his misfortunes at flyhalf cost them and that silly kick by a forward that went straight out was a momentum shift.

Absolutely.

Anyway, the try to me seemed clear, Burger dived and touched on the line... but the streaming wasn't the best one, so there have been other things I didn't noticed?!

Burger wasnt sure, I think he couldnt see where the ball landed. He asked the reff for a penalty advantage if the try wasnt awarded and after the game in his interview, he said 'I'll claim it'. I would've bet he got there 'cos I cant remember any of the tacklers on him claiming that they held him up. Good game from the Hulk though.

i also felt at times that the blues overplayed the game....they tried to run it out of the 22 when it wasn't on and conceded turnovers, by players isolating themselves....putting themselves under pressure :? their defensive line was terrible to give those 2 quick tries which i felt was where the blues lost the game and the stormers won it...you can't give SA teams any chanse to running maul....that is what they do....the NZ teams play running rugby, SA teams play running maul rugby :D

i also felt at times that the blues overplayed the game....they tried to run it out of the 22 when it wasn't on and conceded turnovers, by players isolating themselves....putting themselves under pressure :? their defensive line was terrible to give those 2 quick tries which i felt was where the blues lost the game and the stormers won it...you can't give SA teams any chanse to running maul....that is what they do....the NZ teams play running rugby, SA teams play running maul rugby :D

No they scored two tries with some brilliant running rugby from their young makeshift centres. They only mauled it once and scored of it.

I'd be pretty heartened by that game if I was a reds or saders fan. Better from the Stormers but they and the Blues are really lacking in the whole tactical/leadership department to change styles and tactics with the flow of the game to be able to put away a team

No they scored two tries with some brilliant running rugby from their young makeshift centres. They only mauled it once and scored of it.
Mauled once :O you must be joking.... they mauled whole game bru....

those 2 tries...where they really so brilliant or was the blues defence just cr@p? you said it yourself.....hey who's side are you on :D i'm a hurricane for !@#@! sake :D

but this was a NZ vs SA game for me....i don't mind if the AB lose.....i hate it if they lose against SA....

Great example by the Blues of how to lose a game of rugby! To be honest I don't think either team deserved to win, as they both played some stupid rugby at times. Both teams continuously tried to run the ball out of the 22 in poor conditions, and when they did kick the ball it was generally aimless.

Hard to think of many standouts for the Blues. Afoa showed some good skills in the conditions, while the rest of the forward pack were solid, if unspectacular. Mathewson was dangerous around the base of the ruck, but I feel his lack of a box-kicking game really hurts the Blues in wet conditions. From memory he only tried one box-kick, and it was very effective, so I was disappointed that he didn't use it more often rather than putting pressure on Steven Brett. Brett was his inconsistent self.... it seems for every good thing he does (the wonderful break to set up Mathewson's try) he has to do 5 bad things to compensate (missing tackles, aimless kicks, porr passing etc). MacAlister looked dangerous with the ball in hand, but he was also guilty of some aimless kicking. Rokocoko had an ok match in my opinion. He had a couple of handling errors, but did make one fantastic break, and always made the advantage line with the ball in hand. He was certainly more effective than Stowers on the other wing. I feel the Blues really miss Toeava at fullback, not only for his linebreaking ability, but also because he is a reliable last line of defense (which Lachie Munro is clearly not).

Bekker was good for the Stormers, though didn't dominate the lineouts as much as I expected he would. Burger was all over the place, but turned up far too much at first receiver for my liking, as he was often guilty of throwing passes behind the player, which slowed down (or completely stopped) the attack on a number of occasions. I thought Duvenhage was quite impressive at first-five, and importantly kicked the goal that mattered. de Jongh was the standout back for me, consistently breaking the line and off-loading. Sadie impressed alongside him at centre as well, while Aplon looked good in the limited chances he got.

I hope the Blues can win their remaining games ( pref. without Brett)

Great example by the Blues of how to lose a game of rugby! To be honest I don't think either team deserved to win, as they both played some stupid rugby at times. Both teams continuously tried to run the ball out of the 22 in poor conditions, and when they did kick the ball it was generally aimless.

Hard to think of many standouts for the Blues. Afoa showed some good skills in the conditions, while the rest of the forward pack were solid, if unspectacular. Mathewson was dangerous around the base of the ruck, but I feel his lack of a box-kicking game really hurts the Blues in wet conditions. From memory he only tried one box-kick, and it was very effective, so I was disappointed that he didn't use it more often rather than putting pressure on Steven Brett. Brett was his inconsistent self.... it seems for every good thing he does (the wonderful break to set up Mathewson's try) he has to do 5 bad things to compensate (missing tackles, aimless kicks, porr passing etc). MacAlister looked dangerous with the ball in hand, but he was also guilty of some aimless kicking. Rokocoko had an ok match in my opinion. He had a couple of handling errors, but did make one fantastic break, and always made the advantage line with the ball in hand. He was certainly more effective than Stowers on the other wing. I feel the Blues really miss Toeava at fullback, not only for his linebreaking ability, but also because he is a reliable last line of defense (which Lachie Munro is clearly not).

Bekker was good for the Stormers, though didn't dominate the lineouts as much as I expected he would. Burger was all over the place, but turned up far too much at first receiver for my liking, as he was often guilty of throwing passes behind the player, which slowed down (or completely stopped) the attack on a number of occasions. I thought Duvenhage was quite impressive at first-five, and importantly kicked the goal that mattered. de Jongh was the standout back for me, consistently breaking the line and off-loading. Sadie impressed alongside him at centre as well, while Aplon looked good in the limited chances he got.

Well that just sums it up brilliantly think you gave a thorough explanations of all the given situations and players from both teams. The game was scrappy but it did become somewhat better as the second half progressed and certain untimely errors by both sides during the course of the second half did spoil it in a way. Was still a very good game taking the conditions in consideration! Well done Stormers for keeping your dream alive and holding your destiny in your own hands.<O:p</O:p

guys when this years super 15 kicked off...i had 1 wish for NZ and World Cup rugby and that was......i wanted luke mcalister to play and to perform on flyhalf as a 2nd choice to Dan Carter....cuz to me that was the only threat/weakness/depth issue NZ has/lacks in the squad....and luke has surely proven once again he can do the job.....

mind you that was before all the injury issues in the NZ camp....

I admit he lacks (or at least doesn't use) a strong box-kicking game, but he certainly looks like one of the best instinctive scrum halves around. His running game has arguably been the best in the competition, and he sets the Blues up nicely when he makes a break. I guess the Blues thinking s that with both Brett, McAlister, Payne, Toeava and Munro all having a decent kicking game, the box kick isn't really a must-have, especially under the current law interpretations, with that in mind, it certainly gives Cowan an advantage in wet conditions. Do you agree that Mathewson should be the third halfback?

Still watching the game now, just waiting for the Rokocoko run...From this season I totally agree with RC, in that Rokocoko is not playing as instinctively as he used to. To hope that he will be the Rokocoko of 2003 is a tall order, as he was arguably the best winger ever during that season, so I think you have to compare him t the form of other New Zealand wingers. I definitely think he's just as good athletically, but I also think he just thinks a bit too much, and doesn't play with the same confidence as he used to. He also doesn't seem like he's enjoying his rugby as much, maybe the pressure of the media, All Blacks and public expectations, but when he seems to relax a bit more and just play his natural running game, he can be immense.

What pleased me the most about this agem was that the 12/13 combination of De Jongh and Sadie did pretty well. I was excited about it but reserved. Both are good defenders but its good to see them keeping up defensive standards in tandem. Both are also dangerous runners and I was glad to see Sadie set up a try for De Jongh as I was fearing that he may not have the play-making abilities needed for playing center, having played wing only at top level rugby. Hope they keep it up in the next game or two and give De Villiers and Fourie some well deserved rest. I have a feeling De Villiers might return though.

Our halves didn't do too well but I don't want to single either Januarie or Cronje out as I think it was in large part due to a helluva lot of pressure coming from the Blues at our rucks in the 1st half and the ref allowed both sides to play pretty much off-side. Cronje still makes some silly errors but between him and Van Aswegen we are set for the near future and if he can cut down on basic errors we are in business.

Might we see any citings? I thought I saw a 'punch' or two being thrown but not much in it IMO. I think it resulted from when Elstadt's knee striked Kaino's temple and he took exception. I wonder whether that was on purpose or not, didn't look to be to me. Also the shoulder hit on Habana wasn't late or too high or anything. Not a red card offense in any event. I didn't see anything else but only watched the 1st 50 minutes or so.

Mauled once :O you must be joking.... they mauled whole game bru....

those 2 tries...where they really so brilliant or was the blues defence just cr@p? you said it yourself.....hey who's side are you on :D i'm a hurricane for !@#@! sake :D

but this was a NZ vs SA game for me....i don't mind if the AB lose.....i hate it if they lose against SA....

I only remembered one maul maybe because it was the game winning maul but yeah I only remembered one.

Obviously Im a Blues fan but Im not blind, If a try is brilliant it is what it is. I agree with you though about the Blues defence being terrible on those 2 occasions (especially when Sadie went through) but you cant take away credit from Sadie and De Jong for attacking so well. Bit of both as the usual case, bad defence and good attack.

I admit he lacks (or at least doesn't use) a strong box-kicking game, but he certainly looks like one of the best instinctive scrum halves around. His running game has arguably been the best in the competition, and he sets the Blues up nicely when he makes a break. I guess the Blues thinking s that with both Brett, McAlister, Payne, Toeava and Munro all having a decent kicking game, the box kick isn't really a must-have, especially under the current law interpretations, with that in mind, it certainly gives Cowan an advantage in wet conditions. Do you agree that Mathewson should be the third halfback?

Still watching the game now, just waiting for the Rokocoko run...From this season I totally agree with RC, in that Rokocoko is not playing as instinctively as he used to. To hope that he will be the Rokocoko of 2003 is a tall order, as he was arguably the best winger ever during that season, so I think you have to compare him t the form of other New Zealand wingers. I definitely think he's just as good athletically, but I also think he just thinks a bit too much, and doesn't play with the same confidence as he used to. He also doesn't seem like he's enjoying his rugby as much, maybe the pressure of the media, All Blacks and public expectations, but when he seems to relax a bit more and just play his natural running game, he can be immense.

Personally I'm a huge fan of Mathewson, and would have him as the third halfback if I was picking the RWC squad (assuming Weepu comes back to full fitness/form). He is the best running halfback in the country, defends well (though he did miss de Jongh on the way to his try), and has a long accurate pass. The problem is that the AB's (and all NZ Super Rugby teams apart from the Blues) have gone away from a what I would call a traditional NZ second-five in recent years (e.g a second playmaker e.g. Luke MacAlister, Matt Giteau, Aaron Mauger, Walter Little) in favour of a more powerful running option (SBW, Treeby, Nonu, Sweeney, Umuga etc). Instead they have gone for a playmaker at 9, who needs to be able to offer another strong kicking option if under pressure. Though the law changes have lessened in the effectiveness of the box-kick, it can still be an effective tactic if executed correctly, particularly in wet conditions. For example the Highlanders win over the Canes last week was very much due to Cowan's accurate box kicks, which were both used to relieve pressure, and as an effective attacking option in the wet. Because of his lack of an accurate box-kick (or his unwillingness to use it?) I think Mathewson is probably only 4th ranked on the AB's selectors pecking order (behind Cowan, Weepu, and Ellis).

Latest posts