• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Super Rugby: Blues vs. Hurricanes in Auckland (13/04/2013)

Didnt Steven Luatua play for Samoa under 20s? Yes he did then the next year he showed up for NZ U20s. haha

Didnt Steven Luatua play for Samoa under 20s? Yes he did then the next year he showed up for NZ U20s. haha
Yes, that happened with a few players. NZ have a policy of only selecting player to go to one tournament (with a few exceptions), therefore NZ players of Pacific Island origin often play for their Tonga/Fiji/Samoa for one U20 tournament before playing for NZ the next season.

Not really. When do you hear McCaw's name? Normally when he do something wrong or the commentator caught something he did of the ball.

Quite a lot actually! "great work at the breakdown McCaw" "Great defense McCaw" "Powerful run their by McCaw".... Opensides get mentioned a lot actually - Savea was mentioned almost every minute last weekend. George Smith was mentioned almost every 30 seconds last night! In addition Savea is a different style of 7 to McCaw, and you would probably expect to hear his name mentioned even more than McCaw's.....

Anyways, back to the match. The Blues completely outplayed the Hurricanes this match - there defense in particular impressed me (again). Luatua was an obvious standout for the Blues, but he did get very good support in the pack from Luke Braid and Peter Saili, and McCartney. Weepu again impressed at halfback - he is some much better when he isn't carrying a spare 10kgs.... Noakes was ok at 10 (though still can't tackle), while the midfield worked well even without Ranger - Willison looked very dangerous at times. Ranger was pretty well contained but was a menace at the breakdown (as usual), while Halai had a massive game on the right wing. Piutau had a mixed game again - he looked deadly with ball in hand, but made a pile of handling errors.

Hard to pick many standouts for the Canes. Ben Franks had a couple of great moments, but in general the tight-five was outplayed. Shields did well at 6 (though was completely overshadowed by Luatua), while Savea and Levave were solid behind a retreating pack. Perenara did some good things again, while I wasn't convinced with Pisi at 10. He made some great individual plays, but the backline functions far better as a unit with Barrett running the show IMO. Bateman was poor (for the second week in a row) - I wonder whether they will give Lee-Lo a run at 12 next week? Smith got few chances at centre, and while both wings tried hard they weren't give much space to work with. Barrett looked pretty composed at fullback, but should hopefully be back at 10 next weekend...

Last edited:
Your number 7 should be mentioned a lot. Their main role is to be everywhere. In any game your 7 should make the most tackles, arrive first at the most rucks and force the highest number of turnovers. Savea was out of the action completely and I think this shows how premature it would be to chuck him in the All Blacks.

Oh to be a Hurricanes supporter. Doesn't matter who's pulling on the jersey, it seems the same **** happens every season. Truck loads of promise followed by truck loads of disappointment. Woe is me.

Oh to be a Hurricanes supporter. Doesn't matter who's pulling on the jersey, it seems the same **** happens every season. Truck loads of promise followed by truck loads of disappointment. Woe is me.

Look on the bright side. It could be worse. Much worse. Your team could be 0-7.....

Not really. When do you hear McCaw's name? Normally when he do something wrong or the commentator caught something he did of the ball.

WUM, or just absolutely clueless about Rugby?

You be the judge TRF members

Yes, that happened with a few players. NZ have a policy of only selecting player to go to one tournament (with a few exceptions), therefore NZ players of Pacific Island origin often play for their Tonga/Fiji/Samoa for one U20 tournament before playing for NZ the next season.

Quite a lot actually! "great work at the breakdown McCaw" "Great defense McCaw" "Powerful run their by McCaw".... Opensides get mentioned a lot actually - Savea was mentioned almost every minute last weekend. George Smith was mentioned almost every 30 seconds last night! In addition Savea is a different style of 7 to McCaw, and you would probably expect to hear his name mentioned even more than McCaw's.....

Anyways, back to the match. The Blues completely outplayed the Hurricanes this match - there defense in particular impressed me (again). Luatua was an obvious standout for the Blues, but he did get very good support in the pack from Luke Braid and Peter Saili, and McCartney. Weepu again impressed at halfback - he is some much better when he isn't carrying a spare 10kgs.... Noakes was ok at 10 (though still can't tackle), while the midfield worked well even without Ranger - Willison looked very dangerous at times. Ranger was pretty well contained but was a menace at the breakdown (as usual), while Halai had a massive game on the right wing. Piutau had a mixed game again - he looked deadly with ball in hand, but made a pile of handling errors.

Hard to pick many standouts for the Canes. Ben Franks had a couple of great moments, but in general the tight-five was outplayed. Shields did well at 6 (though was completely overshadowed by Luatua), while Savea and Levave were solid behind a retreating pack. Perenara did some good things again, while I wasn't convinced with Pisi at 10. He made some great individual plays, but the backline functions far better as a unit with Barrett running the show IMO. Bateman was poor (for the second week in a row) - I wonder whether they will give Lee-Lo a run at 12 next week? Smith got few chances at centre, and while both wings tried hard they weren't give much space to work with. Barrett looked pretty composed at fullback, but should hopefully be back at 10 next weekend...

lol. Yeah right

Crusaders very frustrating, showing glimpses of their skill yet match it with brainless play like at that tap down at the lineout.

Force playing very well.

Comms annoying me by calling it "the football". Its a rugby ball dammit

All Blacks are gonna suck **** this year if (when more likely) they play like the NZ teams have been for the most part of the year. Truth. Let's not beat around the bush and be apologists, NZ players and teams are relatively dreadful this year.

In saying that, I still can't FUHK1NG stand Australian commentators. Bloody hell they make me puke.

2 of the tries should have counted...

weepu threw a forward pass on the 1st or second try...

the 3rd try that was scored aswell, the ball never touched the ground, it was placed on the sliding barrett's leg...

bateman is disappointing me... so many knock on's and missed tackles...

with pisi on flyhalf there werent any chances created... eventually when barrett moved to flyhald 70'odd minute... the canes looked way way better on attack...

Why was barrett on fullback :?

eish... i hope the canes learnt a good lesson...

don't know when last they were tryless :?

Latest posts