• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[RWC2023] Wales vs Fiji (10/09/2023)

Let me see if I understand this correctly.
I'll break it down a bit, just for ilustration purposes:

1) anti Welsh sentiment by non welsh when Wales is playing
2) anti NZ sentiment when the ABs are playing by non-kiwis
3) anti Eng sentiment when Eng is playing by non-Engs

So you're saying that 1) is more prevalent/stronger than 2) or 3), correct?

Sorry, i don't see that. At all.
Don't think its black and white. Depends on demographics of posters I guess.
And... apology accepted

Let me see if I understand this correctly.
I'll break it down a bit, just for ilustration purposes:

1) anti Welsh sentiment by non welsh when Wales is playing
2) anti NZ sentiment when the ABs are playing by non-kiwis
3) anti Eng sentiment when Eng is playing by non-Engs

So you're saying that 1) is more prevalent/stronger than 2) or 3), correct?

Sorry, i don't see that. At all.

If everyone just hated everyone equally it would be much much better.

Wales got mad abuse for their lucky streak in 2021, has fallen away since as they've lost games. I don't think this thread is honestly a major example, it was objectively poor refereeing it'd be the same with any team. But I do think Welsh threads have been very contentious in the past

Don't think its black and white. Depends on demographics of posters I guess.
Ohh, i see. It's all crystal clear and objective when the delicate princess feels offended, but when we try to benchmark the claim, suddenly moral relativism kicks in.

F5sfPy3bYAAB-uQ.jpeg

More interesting discussion to be had here. Nacyelaevu (not copying and pasting for a second time) is under the posts with a short pass here for me.

Can you imagine if Gatland got another Lions gig after taking Wales to a RWC semi thanks to a soft draw and bent officiating.

AWJ leading the boys to Australia and Rob Howler as head attack coach. It's written in the stars.

Can you imagine if Gatland got another Lions gig after taking Wales to a RWC semi thanks to a soft draw and bent officiating.

AWJ leading the boys to Australia and Rob Howler as head attack coach. It's written in the stars.
It would be worse than that. AWJ is still the best 2nd row in Wales. Beard would be captain.

This welsh team is so much more likable now that AWJ is gone. If gatland forced him out he is the best coach in the history of sport.

bored of the referee discussion now, we all know it was crap.

Fiji really struggled without Muntz, meant they couldn't take 3 points. The last pass could've been simplified (just through the hands and trust the offloads/individual talent) and there was a few other opportunities that weren't capitalized on. I reckon Fiji could beat Australia, but I don't know if they will.

I think the anti Wales sentiment on here is more apparent during the 6N. Scots aren't too far behind. Ireland and England have some kind of weird 'get a room' love in going on - probably due to Andy Farrell.
I'll gladly hold my hand up. I don't like the Welsh team. I've lived in Wales, I have Welsh friends, but I don't like their team, and never have. Ever since, as a boy, I was watching a Five Nations match on the TV at home and JPR absolutely took out Mike Gibson on his way to a try with a blatant full on body check. That was the one and only time I ever heard my mother swear (she was a big rugby fan and watched Ireland, Jackie Kyle et al, win their first ever Grand Slam at Ravenhill in the late Forties - the recent Slam was NOT the first Slam won at home, despite what the Dublin-based media put about last March). I could provide a long list of sore points (e.g. not using the same ball for a quick line out to score and win the game, again missed by the officials). But anyway, I'm sure a Welsh fan could point to where we have had the rub of the green against them, but no matter, I can't change what I feel in my gut. But on this forum and in general, I play the ball and not the man.

Having said all that, i think I'm old and wise enough to assess a game on its merits without that gut feel interfering with the evidence in front of me, and there's no doubt, in my mind at least, that a number of key decisions that favoured the Welsh last night left many, many rugby fans of all nations (including some Welsh) scratching their heads.

As for the existence of an Ireland-England love-in, behave yourself, General! :D

Last edited:
Ohh, i see. It's all crystal clear and objective when the delicate princess feels offended, but when we try to benchmark the claim, suddenly moral relativism kicks in.
If you are referring to this 'delicate princess' I never claimed to feel offended. In fact I specifically stated previously that I wasn't. Seems I have upset you with my opening post on this thread. For that I apologise.

This thread's been fine, helps that even the Welsh posters fully agree that Fiji were shafted though. There have been plenty of previous threads that have been pretty abysmal though, where I've actively called out pretty shitty behaviour towards welsh posters. I do think this is part of the reason why there's such a small group of Welsh posters in comparison to what there used to be, it can be prety toxic here sometimes and would have 100% turned me off if I hadn't been on here for almost 2 decades!

Edit. Anyway, back to ref bashing everyone!

This thread's been fine, helps that even the Welsh posters fully agree that Fiji were shafted though. There have been plenty of previous threads that have been pretty abysmal though, where I've actively called out pretty shitty behaviour towards welsh posters. I do think this is part of the reason why there's such a small group of Welsh posters in comparison to what there used to be, it can be prety toxic here sometimes and would have 100% turned me off if I hadn't been on here for almost 2 decades!

Edit. Anyway, back to ref bashing everyone!
I think we can remedy that.
1694434995718.png

Ah back to good old sheep jokes.

Ever since, as a boy, I was watching a Five Nations match on the TV at home and JPR absolutely took out Mike Gibson on his way to a try with a blatant full on body check. That was the one and only time I ever heard my mother swear
But there was nothing wrong with that JPR challenge, perfectly legal and acceptable back then!

Latest posts