• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[RWC2023] Wales vs Fiji (10/09/2023)

To be watched from behind the sofa if you're Welsh….
Certainly. Looking forward to it still. Could be a cracking game.

Historically I'd suggest that Wales need to keep the game tight and force scrum/maul pens, biding their time until the Fijian's tire/get frustrated then open the game up in the last quarter. Recent evidence suggests that's unlikely to work as effectively anymore with Fiji possessing a strong scrum/lineout and improved self control with a willingness to play pragmatic rugby when needed until opportunities arise to use their lethal strike runners.

I think Gats will still look to pressurise Fiji, but Wales don't have the front 5 to overly trouble Fiji, with our options at tighthead especially poor.

It'll be interesting to see if Faletau comes straight into the side at 8 with Wainwright switching to blindise. Will Lake start at hooker for his power game, or does Dee retain his place due to his excellent lineout throwing? In the backs, I could see Gats opting for a jumbo combination of Johnny Williams, George North and Mason Grady at 12, 13 and 14 to try and combat the likes of Radrada, Tuisova (if he playes) etc.

I would like to see:

1.Smith
2. Lake (worth the risk)
3. Lewis
4. Jenkins (Also worth the risk)
5. Rowlands
6. Basham
7. Morgan
8. Wainwright

9. T. Williams
10. Biggar
11. Adams
12. J. Williams
13. North
14. LRZ
15. Liam Williams

16. Dee
17. Domachowski
18. Thomas
19. Tshiunza
20. Reffell
21. Faletau (No need to take the risk starting)
22. Costelow
23. Grady

Tomos Williams should be alright for the 80mins.

Obviously we won't go a 6:2 split and even more obviously Francis and Beard will play but I was listening to a interview with Gats the other day and he was talking up Jenkins so who knows, maybe Beard isn't the shoo-in he was a few months ago.

Last edited:
Wouldn't go 6:2 on the bench. No need for Reffell anyway with Basham and Morgan starting.

Agree with most of the rest. Not sure on Lewis at tighthead, but then I'm not sure about any of them!

I'm more excited to watch this than the England game. Fiji look like they have firmed up their set pieces and this should be a cracker of a game!

I do think wales will win by 6 just by playing smarter rugby.

I'm more excited to watch this than the England game. Fiji look like they have firmed up their set pieces and this should be a cracker of a game!

I do think wales will win by 6 just by playing smarter rugby.
Think you're the first person I've seen backing Wales.

Honestly, I'm so unsure about this game. It possibly comes down to the Welsh halfbacks, if they can control the game and ensure Wales are playing in the right areas, then I think we'll win. Problem with that is Tomos Williams is more of a running 9 than a controlling one, and Biggar doesn't always control things as well as a 100+ cap outside half should (rushed, missed kick to touch v England as an example).

This game, France vs AB's and SA vs Scotland are going to be great.

Fiji's abilty to get over the gain line and how Wales can stop it is going to be fun.

Fiji's abilty to get over the gain line and how Wales can stop it is going to be fun.
Jac Morgan will stop some. Need others to stand up as well. Oddly, North's defense at 13 has been his major strength recently, so there's that too.

We will concede linebreaks vs this Fijian side though, so our scramble defense needs to be good as well. To be fair, that was more than decent in the warm-ups, but we'll have to see.

It will be close, but I think Wales can do it. My thinking is people are over estimating Fiji due to England playing so poorly.

Think you're the first person I've seen backing Wales.

Honestly, I'm so unsure about this game. It possibly comes down to the Welsh halfbacks, if they can control the game and ensure Wales are playing in the right areas, then I think we'll win. Problem with that is Tomos Williams is more of a running 9 than a controlling one, and Biggar doesn't always control things as well as a 100+ cap outside half should (rushed, missed kick to touch v England as an example).
I just think with gatlands coaching and the experienced players you have that you should be able to kick and play Fiji in the right areas of the pitch. That control may win the day.

Fiji also did well against England due to our terrible tackling (or lack thereof) and I don't expect that from wales.

Not sure if it's confirmed but saw on twitter that Caleb Muntz is out of the world cup - monumental blow for Fiji if true

Man, that would be a real shame. What other 10's do Fiji have?

On the flip side, Gatland confirmed today that he has a fully fit squad to pick from so interesting to see what that means. Faletau and Anscombe in particular have had no gametime recently but are players Gats likes and trusts, do they come straight into the 23? I think Faletau might, not sure about Ansombe personally.

Wales are 5 point favorites. I think it's a toss up.
Personally I think Fiji are faveorites on current form. Impressive for a while, more settled squad (imagine being able to say that about a PI team).

Can see the rationale though, Gatland if likely to force this into a torture fest of dull rugby to choke the life out of fiji.

Not sure if it's confirmed but saw on twitter that Caleb Muntz is out of the world cup - monumental blow for Fiji if true

Apparently a false rumour.
Think they have ok options to replace although muntz looked great and looked good in super rugby as well. Volavola is really steady is unspectacular and Botitu is electric, not the player I would want for a game agaist wales though. Just need to get quick ball to the rest of the backs and let magic happen.

Really sad news - luckily he's very young so will have another 2, maybe even 3, RWCs in him (form and fitness willing)

Really sad news - luckily he's very young so will have another 2, maybe even 3, RWCs in him (form and fitness willing)

Damn, was really hoping it was just a false rumour, looked really on it agaisnt england.
I think they are well coached and have options though, hopefully it isnt a huge miss for the team. Like you said thankfully muntz is young, never nice to miss out this close, but he will come again.