• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[RWC2023] Wales vs Fiji (10/09/2023)

That is a shame. Normally I'll take whatever advantage I can get (especially when we're ****) but this brings me no joy.
Same for me. Genuinely sad for him and Fiji.

Looking forward to team announcements. Very curious who is picked for us. When is it announced?

Well, I deliberately put my money on fiji for this game before they played france and england as I figured their odds would shorten after those games, but now muntz a injured!

Lomani plays a big role in their kicking game too, but muntz is a big loss, especially as it is too close to the game to bring in volavola from outside the squad to play in this game.

15 Liam Williams (Kubota Spears – 85 caps)
14 Louis Rees Zammit (Gloucester Rugby – 27 caps)*
13 George North (Ospreys – 114 caps)
12 Nick Tompkins (Saracens – 28 caps)*
11 Josh Adams (Cardiff Rugby – 50 caps)
10 Dan Biggar (RC Toulonnais – 109 caps)
9 Gareth Davies (Scarlets – 69 caps);
1 Gareth Thomas (Ospreys – 22 caps)*
2 Ryan Elias (Scarlets – 34 caps)
3 Tomas Francis (Provence Rugby – 72 caps)
4 Will Rowlands (Racing 92 – 25 caps)*
5 Adam Beard (Ospreys – 47 caps)
6 Aaron Wainwright (Dragons – 39 caps)
7 Jac Morgan (Ospreys – 11 caps) captain*
8 Taulupe Faletau (Cardiff Rugby – 100 caps)

Replacements
16 Elliot Dee (Dragons – 43 caps)
17 Corey Domachowski ( Cardiff Rugby – 2 caps)*
18 Dillon Lewis (Harlequins – 51 caps)
19 Dafydd Jenkins (Exeter Chiefs – 7 caps)*
20 Tommy Reffell (Leicester Tigers – 10 caps)*
21 Tomos Williams (Cardiff Rugby – 48 caps)
22 Sam Costelow (Scarlets – 4 caps)*
23 Rio Dyer (Dragons – 9 caps)*

*player appearing in first Rugby World Cup

As strong as you'd expect.

Echo the sadness to see Beard there but other than that think it's fair game. Reffell on the bench as only back rower is interesting but we have enough versatility among the starters to accommodate it. Just don't want an early Wainwright injury.

Francis, Beard. Urgh. Tompkins, very lucky. You feel all these players are in due to their "experience".

Moving one of our best players in the summer out of position to cater for a player who hasn't played. Elias as well, big question mark but I guess that's due to injury so will let Gats off that one

I've been quietly confident all week we'll win this but looking at that team I think we lose.

Onboard the Fiji train for this one. Because, you know, **** Wales.

Fresh off a historic win against England, looking better than they probably ever have (with Wales going the other way) and genuinely having one of the best players in the world in Radradra - real chance I for an upset I think.

Oh yeah and what is Gats smoking starting Gareth Davies over Williams. Jesus
Dunna about that. I know Gareth Davies didn't have his best game during the warm-ups, but I thought he was the form 9 during the second half of the season at regional level.

Whilst I really like Tomos, at his best he's electric, but Gareth probably has a more rounded game with better defense, so for this game where a more pragmatic approach is needed, I think it's an understandable decision.

Dunna about that. I know Gareth Davies didn't have his best game during the warm-ups, but I thought he was the form 9 during the second half of the season at regional level.

Whilst I really like Tomos, at his best he's electric, but Gareth probably has a more rounded game with better defense, so for this game where a more pragmatic approach is needed, I think it's an understandable decision.
I know that he was alright for Scarlets towards the end of the season but he, by his own admission, was awful prior to that and he hasn't done anything in a wales shirt to make me think he's a better option than Williams. While Davies isn't as bad as Hardy at getting the ball out he's still a more traditional scrum half where he likes to have his feet set before passing whereas Tomos speeds up our desperately slow ruck speed by getting in there and flinging a pass out quickly. He's also just a good yard faster than Davies now.

Don't get me wrong, if we lose it probably won't be because of Davies (though he is capable of pretty bad brain farts that can cost us) it'll be down to a suspect front 5 and a failing set piece I imagine but I don't think slowing down our play at the base of the ruck and playing a generally slower tempo 9 is going to do us any favours.

The favt

15 Liam Williams (Kubota Spears – 85 caps)
14 Louis Rees Zammit (Gloucester Rugby – 27 caps)*
13 George North (Ospreys – 114 caps)
12 Nick Tompkins (Saracens – 28 caps)*
11 Josh Adams (Cardiff Rugby – 50 caps)
10 Dan Biggar (RC Toulonnais – 109 caps)
9 Gareth Davies (Scarlets – 69 caps);
1 Gareth Thomas (Ospreys – 22 caps)*
2 Ryan Elias (Scarlets – 34 caps)
3 Tomas Francis (Provence Rugby – 72 caps)
4 Will Rowlands (Racing 92 – 25 caps)*
5 Adam Beard (Ospreys – 47 caps)
6 Aaron Wainwright (Dragons – 39 caps)
7 Jac Morgan (Ospreys – 11 caps) captain*
8 Taulupe Faletau (Cardiff Rugby – 100 caps)

Replacements
16 Elliot Dee (Dragons – 43 caps)
17 Corey Domachowski ( Cardiff Rugby – 2 caps)*
18 Dillon Lewis (Harlequins – 51 caps)
19 Dafydd Jenkins (Exeter Chiefs – 7 caps)*
20 Tommy Reffell (Leicester Tigers – 10 caps)*
21 Tomos Williams (Cardiff Rugby – 48 caps)
22 Sam Costelow (Scarlets – 4 caps)*
23 Rio Dyer (Dragons – 9 caps)*

*player appearing in first Rugby World Cup
Thomas Francis having 72 caps is extraordinary. Wales must have had a real dearth of tighthead props

Thing is Francis is rubbish, but we haven't got many better overall options.

With Davies I've never been a fan for years but from this season warrants his pick. Let's see what he can do.

Francis is in for his perceived strength in the scrum which is fine, if he was a top 5, or even top 10, tight head scrummager I'd put up with him being useless in attack and generally in the loose but from what I've seen his scrummaging hasn't even been that good so if he's not bringing his point of difference he's just dead weight. Lewis at least offers more around the park but yeah our tight head situation is dire. The dream would've been Leon Brown staying injury free and stepping up as he looked much more in the mould of a modern prop but it wasn't to be. The only comfort I have is that Englands TH situation is just as bad, if not worse, than ours.

Hardest game to call in opening round.
Maybe just Fiji but could be Taff's who put on great display.

I reckon Fiji playing and beating England won't be in their favour as it's given the Welsh coaching team a good look at them, I don't see a Gatland coached team being poor at the basics like England were.

That being said Fiji weren't 'that good' in the England game and have a lot of room for improvement if they really click. I don't know enough about Fijian rugby to comment on the 10 cover, they seemed to have a 10 who could play the percentages well and kick well from the tee which they'd been missing previously.

Fiji: 15 Ilaisa Droasese, 14 Selestino Ravutaumada, 13 Waisea Nayacalevu (c), 12 Semi Radradra, 11 Vinaya Habosi, 10 Teti Tela, 9 Frank Lomani, 8 Viliame Mata, 7 Lekima Tagitagivalu, 6 Albert Tuisue, 5 Te Ahiwaru Cirikidaveta, 4 Isoa Nasilasila, 3 Luke Tagi, 2 Samuel Matavesi, 1 Eroni Mawi

Replacements: 16 Tevita Ikanivere, 17 Peni Ravai, 18 Mesake Doge, 19 Temo Mayanavanua, 20 Levani Botia, 21 Simione Kuruvoli, 22 Josua Tuisova, 23 Sireli Maqala

Latest posts