• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[RWC2023] Wales vs Fiji (10/09/2023)

As for calling players by their names, I've always loathed that - it can make refs appear too close to players even when they're not. Red 9 or green 10 is fine and keeps a necessary degree of separation.
I really really dislike this when it's the 10, and it always seems to be the 10. Just makes it feel bent.

Ive never forgiven Walsh for a Scotland RWC game where Danielli got the ball about 30 yards out with no-one in front of him, easy run in, and Walsh called him back for a penalty to Scotland. I forget which year or opposition

I'm convinced that he viewed professional rugby players and coaches as mere extras on the Steve Walsh show.

I'm looking forward to the Australia Fiji game more than our game next week. Want Fiji to win but really it's probably better for us they lose as we know that pretty much we just have to beat Georgia to qualify. I think we lose to Australia though and Georgia won't be easy so this group is still wide open.

I'm looking forward to the Australia Fiji game more than our game next week. Want Fiji to win but really it's probably better for us they lose as we know that pretty much we just have to beat Georgia to qualify. I think we lose to Australia though and Georgia won't be easy so this group is still wide open.

might be the most exciting group as a neutral(ish)

Just looked at next week's fixtures. The organisers really blew their load in week 1 didn't they?!

Australia v Fiji the only remotely close fixture and I'd have the Aussies 7-10 point favourites.

He singlehandedly ruined it. In fact, he went out of his way to do so.
Are you saying the same about the England red card which had far more impact and subsequent incidents have all been reffed differently? Not to mention Curry might not be allowed to feature in another world cup match due to the upcoming disciplinary. So Wales didn't get a "deserved" yellow and the sky is falling, England got a whole ass "undeserved" red and its NP GG M8? South Africa clearly got away with way more than Wales also, including two potential/probably reds (if we are following precedent), I genuinely struggling to see why there isn't the same poopstorm over those. Like the officials, it all seems very inconsistent to me.

Mentioning Walsh in a Welsh thread with English about is dangerous.

Fair dues to the guy on his return he was much improved.

Mentioning Walsh in a Welsh thread with English about is dangerous.

Fair dues to the guy on his return he was much improved.
I'm English and I used to enjoy his posturing during matches 😂

Are you saying the same about the England red card which had far more impact and subsequent incidents have all been reffed differently?

No, i am not, for a plethora of reasons. Generally, i would jump in, but being Argentine i had skin in the game and being familiar with the concept of bias i tried/try to stay out of it. Keyword being "try". I do fail every now and then.
Let me tell you something factual about it tho: the response from English posters on this board to that incident was one. The response from non-English (AND non-Arg) posters was quite another.

Ï have a view on both incidents and am happy to discuss about them. Open up a thread so we don't derail this one.

If anyone thinks this thread has been anti-Welsh, as @dullonien is alluding to - you haven't seen anything :D. Stick around for a while, get to know the local flora and fauna. Jokes aside I think we've been on largely good behaviour.

And for what it's worth I think Wales managed the game pretty well for a lot of it. If it wasn't for that final 20 minutes I'd be saying they fully deserved a win. Hopefully Fiji can turn it around, ideally at Australia's expense.

If anyone thinks this thread has been anti-Welsh, as @dullonien is alluding to - you haven't seen anything :D. Stick around for a while, get to know the local flora and fauna. Jokes aside I think we've been on largely good behaviour.

And for what it's worth I think Wales managed the game pretty well for a lot of it. If it wasn't for that final 20 minutes I'd be saying they fully deserved a win. Hopefully Fiji can turn it around, ideally at Australia's expense.
I wouldn't even argue based on the last 20 mins they didn't deserve the win. All my ire is aimed at Carley who refused to manage the game properly allowing Fiji the opportunity to earn the win.

No, i am not, for a plethora of reasons. Generally, i would jump in, but being Argentine i had skin in the game and being familiar with the concept of bias i tried/try to stay out of it. Keyword being "try". I do fail every now and then.
Let me tell you something factual about it tho: the response from English posters on this board to that incident was one. The response from non-English (AND non-Arg) posters was quite another.

Ï have a view on both incidents and am happy to discuss about them. Open up a thread so we don't derail this one.
At least you're winning the fantasy game

Sad Rabbit GIF by Muffin & Nuts

I wouldn't even argue based on the last 20 mins they didn't deserve the win. All my ire is aimed at Carley who refused to manage the game properly allowing Fiji the opportunity to earn the win.
Totally agree

I hear you, and it's a fair perspective. Personally I think that on the full 80 minutes, Fiji deserved the win, but they did so much work in the final 20 to get back in the game - before that I'd thought they'd not lived up to the hype

Wow. What a match. Most entertaining by far. One knock-on can change a match and a tournament. Just goes to show focus until the final whistle is blown. Welsh defense did well. They really escaped out of jail at the end. Fiji are wonderful to watch. They are a credit to this great sport.

Last edited:

Latest posts