• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[RWC2019][The Final] England vs. South Africa (02/11/2019)

Referee: Jerome Garces
ARs: Romain Poite, Ben o'Keefe
TMO: Ben Skeen

The hardest time to blast through brick wall is when they are fresh.

As far as I understand the best time to blast through a brick wall is exactly when it is fresh if that is your intention. As concrete/cement hardens over time and it will be at its softest when fresh.

We might have used up all our Garces memes for the semi-final, this is worrying. It's basically beyond criticism by this point, we know WR is trying to show the middle finger to SA by this point from their Versailles based offices. The only consolation I have is that Garces might actually be South Africas Trump card. You see if England starts to dominate but Garces starts having a shocker then that shocker might start favouring us especially if Farrel moans in his face. I also heard that French people don't like English people. So im going to be confident and say its not that bad, lets just hope the Springboks goes on the charm offensive and swing the tides.

Everyone who thinks the Boks will be super predictable and just play the game they played against Wales, please take a moment of your time to read this opinion
https://www.sarugbymag.co.za/surprise-a-certainty-in-clash-of-tactical-***ans/

In 1999 France beat NZ convincingly with a once in a lifetime game. What happened in that final? In 1995 NZ smashed England with the great Lomu display. What happened in that final? It's a very dangerous game in a tournament to fixate on a single performance. Even in 2011 the AB's smashed France in the group stage, and almost sneaked the final. In 2007 we smashed England and the final was as close as a toe on the line. Heck, New Zealand did the exact same thing a few weeks ago after smashing Ireland...

If the players are thinking anything like their fans and Ugo Monye, then I will grow in confidence every day with this final.

***Hopes in Springbok we don't get smashed***
I'm also getting more bullish by the hour. Especially after I watched both sets of QFs and SFs again. I think people are judging us off of our game vs NZ in the pools and the one against Wales and England off of their QF and SF. That is a mistake IMO. I won't be reading too much into that from now on. Unless we end up getting Garces in the final as well. Otherwise I think there might be some shock come the final. This RWC for me from a SA perspective has been one of revenge/redemption. First Japan, then Wales, now England. I can see our boys getting up for this one big time. This is our final.

EDIT: I see Garces has been appointed... well. At least we've had soem time to become accustomed to him? I just hope he is consistant at the breakdown for once. Some Welsh bloke just looks at our ball its a penalty against us for holding on. Vermeulen camps on the Welsh ball, gets a leg lifted by a Welsh player coming in from the side, gets told to release...

Honestly, we've played some good rugby this year. People are judging us on the SF and loss to NZ in the pool, both games where we had Garces and made a game plan to try and take him out of the equation. I was really hoping to avoid that blasted guy for once. Okay, I've had my rant. That'll be it from me.

My combined team

Mako (kitshoff)
Marx (george)
Sinks (kock)
Itoje
De jager (Snyman)
Curry
Underhill (PTSD)
Vermeulen
Reinach (Faf)
Ford. (Farrell)
May
De allande.
Manu
Kolbe
Daly (Watson)

Thats my opinion dont b*tch at me because you dont agree :cool:
Wouldn't dream of it ;)

Last edited:
Kolbe being fit is a big one. He basically ended Reiko Ioanes All Black year by himself. If we have Willemse on the bench instead of Mostert it's also going to be a great move. Garces is pants. He calls different games for both teams. We were blown instantly for holding on but Marx and Duane could have had a braai on the ball and nothing happened. Still think we will have scrum dominance as well. I think we will have some surprises up our sleeve come Saturday.

On the subject of Ford/Farrell, surely England would be mad not to start Ford? Regardless of playing ability and whatnot, if Farrell is carrying a knock you want another kicking option on the pitch. You don't want his issue to flare up after 20 minutes and be left without a goal kicker. Not like they have an option to replace him with either, Slade has looked iffy and Joseph isn't getting much time (and a Tualagi-Jospeh would be so one-dimensional). Not many changes on either team (as you'd expect at this stage) I imagine, if Nowell is fit he could probably replace Joseph on the bench but that's it probably.

On the SA side, I understand why Le Roux is in the team but surely a player in form as poor as he is can be dropped. Not sure who would replace him though (any SA fans who can enlighten me?) Kolbe will come back in if he's fit as well presumably.

Well Kolbe has been declared fit to play. We also have Warrick Gelant and Damian Willemse in the squad and both can play fullback and wing.

But I think Willie will start again. I just don't think we'll go for the 6/2 split on the bench again, and one of these 2 guys I mentioned will be on the bench.

Referee: Jerome Garces
ARs: Romain Poite, Ben o'Keefe
TMO: Ben Skeen
Surprised Owens didn't get a touch judge appointment. So other than O'Keefe exactly as I predicted.

At least Garces will tell Skeen where to go.

As Garces himself he is what he is, had a good QF overall. I'd prefer him to Owens giving 25 final warnings and still not brandish a card.

Frankly, I haven't found Garces that bad.

I think we are just frustrated by the alien way he handles a game and perceived inconsistencies. A few years back I watched a lot of Top 14 but found I couldn't keep it up as the refereeing is typically heavily skewed towards the home team and totally different from what I am used to in watching Curry Cup and even Super Rugby. I just found it too frustrating to watch my team travel.

Possibly (maybe even probably) its just a question of taste to some degree but at the same time he does tend to apply two different sets of rules at the breakdown in particular in my now vast experience of being a Bok fan with him at the helm of a game. he also lets a lot of small technical and even a little foul play go. Many will say that is a good thing but its not what we are used to and what we thrive under. What do you say; laises faire?

That said I do feel he has improved throughout from game to game. I just hope that trend continues.

Everyone who thinks the Boks will be super predictable and just play the game they played against Wales, please take a moment of your time to read this opinion
https://www.sarugbymag.co.za/surprise-a-certainty-in-clash-of-tactical-***ans/

I would be surprised if SA changed their tactics. I don't know enough about their team, but would it be fair so say that they're not that strong out wide? They have speed, but lack power and are inconsistent with their kicking, catching etc I don't seem them troubling England out wide. Why not stick to a winning formula? It's boring, but effective. It probably won't win them the WC, but it's their only chance. I think if they try and play an expansive game it will get ugly.

And I don't see England changing their tactics at all, it will be highly effective against SA.

Won't happen, but I would start our more 'open game' team, and have the heavies come on later to grind it out. My team would be:

1. Kitshoff -- Beast
2. Marx -- Bongi
3. Koch -- Malherbe
4. RG -- Etsebeth
5. Lood
6. Siya -- Flouw
7. PSDT
8. Duane
9. Faf -- Reinach
10. Pollard
11. Mapimpi
12. DDA -- F Steyn