• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[RWC2019][The Final] England vs. South Africa (02/11/2019)

TRF_heineken

RIP #J9
Staff member
TRF Legend
Country Flag
South Africa
Club or Nation
South Africa
ozGqDLF.png

dEc1PIg.png
j7lEIMe.png
MfOD7Ws.png

Venue: International Stadium Yokohama
Time: 11:00 CAT (SA, GMT+2)

I foresee the 2007 final all over again, except the scores will be reversed. England will win this one.

I'll put this out there right from the beginning, I don't mind the English made the Final. I think they're a great nation and a great rugby team, and I think one of the reasons why people don't want them to win is mostly because of their crappy media who can't just celebrate a win and move on.

England also produced two of my favourite bands, Queen and The Beatles.

So my Queen playlist for the match is going to be:

Pre-game: I Want To Break Free
First half: Don't Stop Me Now
Half time : Under Pressure
Second half (when the forward subs feature): Fat Bottom Girls
Post-game: We are the Champions

....or: The Show Must Go On (let's hope the latter song doesn't feature... I never liked it anyway)

Last edited:
England will either win big or we will just win it by less than a score

Some interesting things going into the Final:

Eddie jones assistant Bok coach 2007
John Mitchell coached in SA and SA is his new home
Jones coached against England and lost in 2003 WC Final, might win with England
Both Jones and Mitchell were released from south African unions to coach England

ENGLAND WINS

England joins Aus and SA by winning 2 World Cups

SA WINS

Eddie Jones loses 2 world cup finals, first for a coach

SA record equalling 3rd time winners of world cup
First time ever a loser of a pool game wins World cup
Rassie 18 months with Boks and wins, unprecedented
South Africa stay unbeaten in World Cup Finals

Last edited:
In the famous words of Victor Matfield: " I'll take an ugly win over a beautiful defeat every time".

Rassie has made it clear that we won't be playing to score tries. And my guess is we will continue with the same style we did against Wales.

But what will be interesting is who will Rassie pick. for me he should seriously consider to start all the guys that are playing in England. Koch, Mostert, Flouw, Faf or Reinach, and dare I say it Willie. These guys have first hand knowledge of their opponents, and might even pick up on things in the match.

The thing is I think we will go with the same team as against Wales, depending on injuries.

On a serious note, it's a mini-miracle that the Boks are in the final considering what has happened in the last 2-4 years. Rassie and Siya have done the jersey proud.
England are on form and are definitely favourites going into this one. BUT if any team can play atrocious one week and then turn it around the next week it's the Boks. The Boks also don't like the favourites tag on them so that is another good thing.
The big question is can England lift themselves again after playing the match of their lives on the weekend?

Honestly both teams have an equally good chance of taking the cup.

In the famous words of Victor Matfield: " I'll take an ugly win over a beautiful defeat every time".

Rassie has made it clear that we won't be playing to score tries. And my guess is we will continue with the same style we did against Wales.

But what will be interesting is who will Rassie pick. for me he should seriously consider to start all the guys that are playing in England. Koch, Mostert, Flouw, Faf or Reinach, and dare I say it Willie. These guys have first hand knowledge of their opponents, and might even pick up on things in the match.

The thing is I think we will go with the same team as against Wales, depending on injuries.

If South Africa wins, then Willie le Roux (he will be picked at 15) might become the worst player to win a World Cup.

I wonder how much the fact England missed a game and have had an extra days recovery will factor?

I expect a tough physical game all the same.

SA won't allow England the same go-forward NZ did. We can also win despite being nullified in attack because we nullify ourselves in attack more often than not. I still give England a 7 point margin BUT we are due our game managers having good games collectively surely even if only due to the 'law of averages'? If that happens I actually see us winning handsomely providing Pollard picks up and carries on with the 100% at goal he had vs Wales.
I wonder how much the fact England missed a game and have had an extra days recovery will factor?

I expect a tough physical game all the same.

Nah, I think we are long past England having a game off. You can also argue SA had close to an extra week off as well even if we had an extra game. A bigger factor might be an extra day to prepare but that's splitting hairs and a happy coincidence of the scheduling that fell in England's favor. The only factors IMO that should count is the 30 players on the field and those that might come off the bench. Hopefully the referee has a good one. I feel both England and SA appreciate the same type of referee. Hopefully whoever we get he is just consistent in his rulings/non-rulings.

Last edited:
SA won't allow England the same go-forward NZ did. We can also win despite being nullified in attack because we nullify ourselves in attack more often than not. I still give England a 7 point margin BUT we are due our game managers having good games collectively surely even if only due to the 'law of averages'? If that happens I actually see us winning handsomely providing Pollard picks up and carries on with the 100% at goal he had vs Wales.

I just hope we don't have the same situation we hade when played them last year. England get a massive lead, and then we come back the second half. In a WC final that just doesn't happen, and England will be able to park the bus. We will need to keep it close.

Oh this is going to be nerve recking ! But hella lot of fun !!! Go Bokke

So the big issue is which England turns up, will it be the one who just beat the ABs and Aus with complete ease? Or will be the one who after games like that plays complete rubbish.

Of its the first they win no doubt in mind my mind nobody can live with a dual defensive and attacking effort like that. If it's the latter I foresee a close game with SAffers eding it. And it will only be close because of their style of play which is what they need to do if they try to be clever I think they'll lose.

England to keep the same starting 15 as last week barring injuries.

I have friends from both countries so I don't feel right taking a side. I just hope the final is a close hard fought match. :cool:

Last edited:
If any team can beat the English for physicality it is the boks. Forward pack is awesome, the reserves in some ways are better than the starters. Having a huge, strong pack for 80-mins is a fantastic starting point.

Secondly, SA don't really want the ball, so this will nullify the English defence to a degree. Rush defence doesn't do much to a box kick and bombs.

Having said all that, England will go in deserved favourites and I'd expect them to take it. If they can get a lead I can't see the boks running them down.

Nah, I think we are long past England having a game off. You can also argue SA had close to an extra week off as well even if we had an extra game.
This plus you have to remember your hardest games in the pool was against the ABs at the start of the tournament. Your 12 days gap was preceded by a game against Canada and then you got Japan as a first knockout.

The luck of tournament has only meant England haven't had to play 5 tier 1 games in 4 weeks and thus completely shagged going into this. If anything it's evened things up rather than given an advantage.

The extra day between matches could be telling and I'm unsure why the semis are held on seperate days in a game like rugby

I liked how England did not celebrate too much after winning the semi. Job done, but they knew it will mean very little if they don't win this Saturday. This team is growing before our eyes. Yes it's going to be a damn tough, close game. Winning that gain line battle will be tougher against the Boks, scrums and lineout.

But compared to 2007 I feel this England side have a better chance. It'll be close and go down to the wire, but I think this time England can win Bill and bring him home.

Latest posts