• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[RWC2019][The Final] England vs. South Africa (02/11/2019)

Marler for Mako, yes.
Slade for Ford wouldn't have shorn up the retreating pack. Nothing further back than 9 would have made the slightest difference.
Why would dumb comments about Wales and Ireland rule him out, whilst dumb comments about Wales and Ireland seemed to cement Garland into the role?

Added to that his comments to an Australian journalist about not wanting to be in a blazer for 8 weeks and saying it was an ambassador's role. I don't think in his mind either comments helped. I am sure there was a lot more to it than that from those who made the decision to rehire Gatland. Just paraphrasing from EJ's book. Never really like these books until after a coach has stopped coaching a team, especially when the team is England.

Its simple for me, EJ should have made changes but as said hard to after ABs win. Its simple that he should because he worked so hard to make a squad rather than a team of individuals so he could have swapped and all would have understood

Having read the interview I really don't think it's smart man management to publicly say that selecting Ford and Mako were mistakes. Not so soon after the event and not while he's still in post.

It's Jones saying he made mistakes, which is fine. But to name check Mako and Ford is humiliating for them, even if in Mako's case it's patently true.

It's Jones saying he made mistakes, which is fine. But to name check Mako and Ford is humiliating for them, even if in Mako's case it's patently true.
I don't think he's singling the players out for criticism, just that he utilised them in the wrong way?

Is he really insulting them any more than he he is every time he doesn't select a given player?

He outright said that playing Mako and not reverting to the QF midfield were selection mistakes.

To publicly say that selecting X&Y for the biggest game of their lives was a mistake is pretty sh*tty in my book. Especially when we lost so badly and feelings are still pretty raw.

Doesn't matter whether he was right or wrong, what's said privately or what his next selection suggests, I just thought it was unnecessary salt in very open wounds.

I reckon some players' books will give pretty lively accounts of the Jones years in due course.

He outright said that playing Mako and not reverting to the QF midfield were selection mistakes.

To publicly say that selecting X&Y for the biggest game of their lives was a mistake is pretty sh*tty in my book. Especially when we lost so badly and feelings are still pretty raw.

Doesn't matter whether he was right or wrong, what's said privately or what his next selection suggests, I just thought it was unnecessary salt in very open wounds.

I reckon some players' books will give pretty lively accounts of the Jones years in due course.
Himself and Gatland have been saying a few bizarre things since the cup. Probably taking phone interviews from the beach bar somewhere!

I think that with the importance that Eddie placed on finishers and some stuff from rising sons (announcing the finishing team instead of the starting one), in his mind he is just saying that he would pick a different role for them... Not that they wouldnt be in the 23. Not so much an insult in his mind but more an apology that he didn't give them the right job?

To him at least, being on the bench isn't being second choice or being dropped (as was proved with ford in the qf) it is simply just him changing your role

Himself and Gatland have been saying a few bizarre things since the cup. Probably taking phone interviews from the beach bar somewhere!

If only!

Apparently these words of wisdom feature in his autobiography (available from all mediocre book shops in time for Christmas). And there was me thinking he might have, just possibly, been concentrating all his energies on trying to win the RWC.

Gats can say what he likes. He's history. We've got 2 more years of Jones.

Happy 2 months anniversary (by a few days)!

I watched the extended highlights for about the 30th time last night.

One of the things that really makes me happy about this triumph is that it cemented the legacy of several players that could have been forgotten over time.

Case in point is Schalk Brits. Fantastic player that could have been seen as someone who never quite fulfilled his potential on the international scene. Him bowing out as a RWC champ is great. He came to as SA for one final hoorah and it paid off.

Another is the Beast. Although he is already an established legend it's good he was able to get the gold so that can truly be discussed with the likes of Os du Randy. As loyal and dedicated to the Sharks and Bok jersey as you could want. Made his debut in 2008 when the Boks were fresh RWC champs and has part of the rollercoaster until we got back on top again.

Last edited:

Latest posts