• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

RWC Semi Final: France - Wales (15-08-2011, 21:00)

The Welsh were well on top when Warburton got sent off. A yellow was sufficient and Wales would have probably went on and won it. Even though I'm an Irish fan, its shocking to see a referee decision like this ruin a teams chance of winning the competition. The same goes for the ref display in the Aus-SA game last week. France lost 2 games and havnt played convincing rugby all world cup. I would be suprised if they are in the game by half time in the final.

I don't understand why anyone is blaming the ref, Warburton was the one who made the dumb tackle. In a semi-final game, why would you be so dumb to do a dump tackle? You are asking to get binned. Terrible leadership and it's a lesson he has learned the hard way.

Dangerous tackle is a dangerous tackle. Red card was harsh but justified. It's been a binning for 3 years now.

To anyone questioning the call, please read the law as previously posted by smartcooky and Olyy. Or even the thread from rugbyrefs.com that above me.
Very clear and correct call. Harsh, but the correct.

Warburton cost his team the game, not the ref.

I agree that France is the last team the ABs want to play given the history.

Last edited:
Should've been a yellow card. France don't deserve to be in the final and are going to be carved up next weekend. The real final is now being played tomorrow between Australia and New Zealand.

I struggle to see your point because you are clearly delusional as you think France were more deserving than Wales. At least Wales would have made the final competitive.

Then Wales would be in the final then wouldn't they? France won, they deserve to be there, end of.

BTW, if player don't want to be red carded for a lift and tip tackle, DON'T GRASP THE PLAYER AND LIFT HIM UP OFF THE GROUND IN THE FIRST PLACE.

Well maybe in the next game Sam, in a split second, will stop, think about it, then adjust his position, maybe work on his technique then try make the tackle only to find the player has scored. The point is, asking aggressive players with adrenaline pumping to always tackle fairly is ridiculous. Maybe Clerc should play touch in future and leave the rugby to warburton and faletau

NZ has nothing to worry about with this french team, they simply arent capable of even coming close. Just need to beat Aussie and its no worries.

Ah, maybe I have (English) rose tinted glasses on, but Martin Johnson, Neil Back, Richard Hill, Laurence Dallaglio, Jason Robinson, Josh Lewsey, Will Greenwood, Matt Dawson
All superb players who would be amongst the best in their positions in a greatest-of-all-time list
These three would be yeah

Red card is absolutely justified and deserved. It is dangerous to put someone on neck to ground. Besided, what Warburton was thinking lifting Clerc? Big guy like Warburton can stop little guy like Clerc without any additional effort.

France had chances in first half, but they failed to convert them. Touch down by Yashvili, when Mermoz knock-on with unmarked man on his right shoulder, Parras break and Clerc lossing ball in ruck. In the second half France gained six point lead and switched off. I have to agree with someone comments that Yashvili is the best defensive scrum-falf. All France team played for teritory and strongly relied on their defencive skills which are impresive. Rougerie and Mermoz were invisible and Parra was not creating any chance, but it was probably because of their conservative approach.

Some say that tommorow is final, but it is possible that France can show up in final as they did in match with England.

Worst post I've ever read from a countryman, doesn't help...

I think they're though, a little misguided in coaching but have the best player resource and a lot of attacking flair instead of one dimensional attacking play by the home nations teams.

Well maybe in the next game Sam, in a split second, will stop, think about it, then adjust his position, maybe work on his technique then try make the tackle only to find the player has scored. The point is, asking aggressive players with adrenaline pumping to always tackle fairly is ridiculous. Maybe Clerc should play touch in future and leave the rugby to warburton and faletau

Maybe Clerc will play in the final next week, and Warburton will watch the third place game because he made an illegal tackle at a bad time.

Accidents will happen. That's fine. But the rules are there to discourage such accidents and protect players. Warburton broke the rules.

Very harsh on him, but thats life.

Are you an idiot?

I think they're though, a little misguided in coaching but have the best player resource and a lot of attacking flair instead of one dimensional attacking play by the home nations teams.

So...Wales are one dimensional yet scored a try with 14 men? What does that make the French attack if they didn't score vs 14 men? Majority of line breaks they made were in the gap that Warburton usually covers.

Do you really think that Wales can beat Australia or New Zealand though? They are too easy to read.
Doesn't really matter, they'll be going through the departures lounge at the same time as whoever they play...

You are obviously thick and didn't see the tackle.

Well what an effort that was by Wales. So proud right now! We deserved to win it and France have done absolutely nothing to get to the Final of the world cup. Losing to Tonga, crap against England, and almost lost to 14 men. Such an injustice to see them in the final. Will be 100% cheering on NZ/Aus and i fully expect the winner of the semi to win now. Wales playing like this could have won it with 15 men, really think we could have.

Faletau was insanely good. But everyone was awesome.

Mate have a look at the laws, read them, read them again and if you can't understand them read them again.

Then look at how the French player hit the floor on the base of his neck and head. Prehaps you did not see the tackle or can't read properly, no need to call people thick.

You are completely missing the point.

Don't even grasp the player below the hips, unless your intention is the bring the player directly to the ground by dragging him down. If you intend to execute a "dump tackle", then grab him around the waist and drive him backwards; far more effective, and far less risky.