• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

RWC Quarter Final: England - France (08-10-2011, 20:30)

So why was he pushed to rudder in all the big games? Answer me that one, smartarse?

Flood lost form during the SixNations so you then look at your second string flyhalf to do the job.... Not very hard is it?

You do accept Wilko deserved to be there then? Thompson deserved to be there aswell btw, played some great Rugby before the WC.

So why was he pushed to rudder in all the big games? Answer me that one, smartarse?

Ask Martin Johnson that one because most of us went for Flood.

So you don't rate Wilkinson, Thompson, Cole, Croft, Deacon, Tindall.

At least tell us who we should have took.

I tend to think telling people up yours is not constructive at all.

To be honest mate I think most people on here have said Wilkinson has been poor. Drop Tindall, Wilkinson, Moody and Thompson.

Who would you have taken instead?

Tindall - Barritt, Allen, Hipkiss, Bell
Wilkinson - Farrell, Myler, Goode (don't scoff, his trophy cabinet is much bigger then Wilko). Hodgson.
Moody - Wood, Robshaw, Skinner, Seymour, Dowson, Fourie
Thompson - The only problem position. Wally should never have been starting choice however.

Flood lost form during the SixNations so you then look at your second string flyhalf to do the job.... Not very hard is it?

You do accept Wilko deserved to be there then? Thompson deserved to be there aswell btw, played some great Rugby before the WC.

No. He didn't. He was **** in the six nations and **** in the warm ups. Same for Wally.

Try watching the rugby you're talking about rather then reading internet forums to form opinions.

Wilkinson - Farrell, Myler, Goode (don't scoff, his trophy cabinet is much bigger then Wilko). Hodgson.
Thompson - The only problem position. Wally should never have been starting choice however.

Come off it, Farrel had one season and did the basics well. He should be getting involved in the England setup now but you can't take him to the RWC yet. Myler is a good club player thats all, Hodgson blew his chances for England as always and Goode.... wel thats him, thats all theres to say. Club player.

No. He didn't. He was **** in the six nations and **** in the warm ups. Same for Wally.

Try watching the rugby you're talking about rather then reading internet forums to form opinions.

Try taking your IHATE England, the system and alot else glasses off. And look at this without being a cynical old git (not saying ur old, u just act like that).

Wilkinson was our best second choice flyhalf.

Last edited:
Well at least now the England players can relax and enjoy themselves. Maybe try some adventure sports, or maybe even have that drink they've been depriving themselves of all tournament....
Hehe. I think Scotland should play Italy for the wooden spoon.

Your right, lets drop all those players. No wait, lets go one further, sack the coaches and Johnson himself and put you as England coach....No.

We need to get our selections right from now on. I'd like to see a lot more experimentation in future. Anyone 30 or older, except for Palmer, has to go. Anyone who is completely hopelessly out of form, even if they are young, has to go back to their clubs and play their way back into the team. We have to try more players, even if they aren't established in the English team. (The EPS has to go, or otherwise be much more flexible.) Competition makes the squad stronger. My favourite example is that Youngs came in for Care, and we noticed a big improvement in the team. Then Care went away and improved the speed of his delivery and he became a better player (and he would have probably been first-choice SH for the WC if he hadn't been injured). Croft hasn't been incredibly impressive this year - so what if instead of trusting him to eventually regain form, we brought Robshaw in? Would Croft have gone away and looked at why he had been dropped more intensely? And would it have given us an on-form backrow in the WC?

I say drop: Sheridan, Mears, Thompson (at least, to the bench), Shaw, Deacon, Croft, Moody, Easter, Youngs, Wilkinson, Hape, Tindall, Banahan, Cueto (harsh because I like Cueto) and perhaps Waldrom.

Also, I wouldn't be totally upset if MJ were to go, along with the rest of the coaches. If this happens, I'd like to see us pick a proven coach and allow him to pick who works under him.

Come off it, Farrel had one season and did the basics well. He should be getting involved in the England setup now but you can't take him to the RWC yet. Myler is a good club player thats all, Hodgson blew his chances for England as always and Goode.... wel thats him, thats all theres to say. Club player.
Look at players like Scott Williams and Toby Faletau for Wales! They came in very late to the Welsh team and have played very, very well. Priestland also didn't have much experience playing full games at 10 for Wales up until recently. I don't understand why these things work for Wales, but it would be atrocious if we put more trust in our youth...

Last edited:
Agreed, the plan should be to build for 2015. Do exactly what Australia has done.

Farrell had one good season of good form. And surpassed Wilkinson in sucessuglly completing the basics.
Myler is a epitome of average. However the question was asked "who else".
Hodgson has always been shoved into **** England teams and given the thin end of the wedge. "Jonny" wouldn't be perminantly stamped on the tongue of every putz journalist hi Champagne Charlie hadn't broke his leg in 2002.
Goode always will be under-rated. Again only given test chances when England were suffering Barons era at its peak. Better then most give him credit for.

Wilkinson. (Missed 4 attempted before he finally) scored a drop goal in 2003. Done **** all since.

You're a joke, Tuilagi was easily our best player on the pitch today

England were a shambles, and I'm embarrassed by them

Glad that Cueto got a try (even if he never makes it easy for himself/the TMO) but it was an appalling performance.

'you're a joke' is unnecessary and antagonistic but each to their own. It was a simple comment on an instance of play, not an overall critique.

With a minute to go and needing a try one usually avoids getting anywhere near touch. But I'm a joke so what do I know.

Tuilagi was great at crossing the gain line and er.....

No one shone today. Ironically it was a Banahan break that led to one of the tries.

Still as long a Sale player scored everything's ok eh?

I could not understand the last play. Why did France choose PG instead of simply kicking the ball for touch, despite the time was over 80 mins?

Well, I took the morning off work and have just got in. I couldn't believe I was watching the best players in England out there today.

Slow ball, static back line so most often than not players received the ball almost standing still, bunching up too close together. In comparison, the French ran from deeper positions. All too often there was a lack of proper support for the offload so Toby ended up flinging the ball up in the air with the sort of offload you would see in a schoolboy game.

There was a tv pundit comment about Ashton's 'missed' chance of the right flank at the half-time point. What wasn't mentioned was the appallingly high pass to him which meant he had to reach up and grab the ball and lost momentum. I think it was a Wilkinson pass.

There is something very wrong when a 'talented' bunch of players repeatedly put in second XI performances. And that's being generous. It has to be the coaching and perhaps Johnson, as great and inspirational player that he was, has made a jump too far?

Wilkinson. Been playing very well for Toulon, last season. But heck, you won't recognise that anyway.

Your right, lets drop all those players. No wait, lets go one further, sack the coaches and Johnson himself and put you as England coach....No.
To go: Deacon, Moody, Easter, Wilkinson, Cueto. May your careers rest in peace.

So you posted 2/4 then scoff.

Nice one. :rolleyes:

Get humiliated by Ireland? Thought we'd checked that one off months ago...
Haha, should've expected that one :p. But get all our talented young players involved and build for the next WC. New coach, new setup etc.

Wilkinson. Been playing very well for Toulon, last season. But heck, you won't recognise that anyway.

I recognise you're something of a fan of his. But really?

REALLY?

No, he was pretty average. At best. Outshone by Contepomi a fair amount too.

Latest posts