• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

RBS 6 Nations - France vs Ireland - 04/02/2012, 15:00

What's the French reaction to this match out of interest? I thought that with the talent at their disposal, France really should have been able to take control of this game in the second half. It seemed like the midfield, Rougerie in particular, wasn't able to get the other backs involved. They also seemed to struggle to get over the gain line for long periods, which must be disappointing with the back row you guys have.

this is an eternal problem for the frenchies, great backline but not able to really translate it on the pitch. Rougerie, for me, has done a good 2 last seasons in club and in the French team but I think he is limited in a lot of ways and I think we should put guys like Mermoz or other guys on the pitch. rougerie won't go the 2015 world cup so I think it is a bit useless to continue to play with him as we have good substitutes..And since the start of this 6th nations, he is not doing very great. We have as well a problem of Fly half...TD is good but I'm seeing more and more like a very good center, I like his attacking game but maybe he is not a great organiser. Maybe what Lievremont tried at the world cup, putting Parra as the fly half was a good idea....despite the fact that Parra is a bit light, though not much lighter than a sexton so....

Last edited:
this is an eternal problem for the frenchies, great backline but not able to really translate it on the pitch. Rougerie, for me, has done a good 2 last seasons in club and in the French team but I think he is limited in a lot of ways and I think we should put guys like Mermoz or other guys on the pitch. rougerie won't go the 2015 world cup so I think it is a bit useless to continue to play with him as we have good substitutes..And since the start of this 6th nations, he is not doing very great. We have as well a problem of Fly half...TD is good but I'm seeing more and more like a very good center, I like his attacking game but maybe he is not a great organiser. Maybe what Lievremont try at the world cup, putting Parra as the fly half was a good idea....despite the fact that Parra is a bit light, though not much lighter than a sexton so....

Rougerie should be dropped after two poor performances, I would choose either Fritz, Bastareaud or Poitrenaud (as a centre) to replace him but most likely will be David, Mermoz mainly plays 12

Trinh-Duc cannot be dropped, why? because even if he hasn't been at his best, the second choice options are quite a way off his standard, "Boot"xis will not help the backline and looks to be following the Andy Goode diet

this would be my France team to play England

15. Buttin
14. Clerc (but now coming under pressure from Palisson)
13. Poitrenaud
12. Fofana
11. Malzieu
10. Trinh-Duc
9. Parra (coming under pressure from Dupuy and Yachvili)
1. Poux/Debaty
2. Servat (Szarzewski not taken his chance of starting)
3. Mas
4. Papé
5. Maestri
6. Dusautoir
7. Bonnaire
8. Harinordoquy (I really don't see him as an effective 7)

Rougerie should be dropped after two poor performances, I would choose either Fritz, Bastareaud or Poitrenaud (as a centre) to replace him but most likely will be David, Mermoz mainly plays 12

Trinh-Duc cannot be dropped, why? because even if he hasn't been at his best, the second choice options are quite a way off his standard, "Boot"xis will not help the backline and looks to be following the Andy Goode diet

this would be my France team to play England

15. Buttin
14. Clerc (but now coming under pressure from Palisson)
13. Poitrenaud
12. Fofana
11. Malzieu
10. Trinh-Duc
9. Parra (coming under pressure from Dupuy and Yachvili)
1. Poux/Debaty
2. Servat (Szarzewski not taken his chance of starting)
3. Mas
4. Papé
5. Maestri
6. Dusautoir
7. Bonnaire
8. Harinordoquy (I really don't see him as an effective 7)

Sorry but I have an overdose of Rougerie or Pointrenaud..I think they won't play the world cup and I think we have substitute that are as good as them and much younger...David, Mermoz, Bastaraud...Even Fritz is a bit too old now..they are good, do not misunderstand me but we have other pleyers that are as good as them and younger so I would prefer to give these player game time and Experience...

If you'd offered me a draw before the game I most likely would have taken it, but once again the performance leaves a bitter taste in the mouth. That was a poor French side. We should have won. We had both the territory and possession to do so, yet we didn't even score in the second half.

We created nothing out wide, I wouldn't have even known our centres were playing such was their anonymity. Murray is too slow for international rugby. The difference in terms of go forward ball when Reddan came on was staggering. D'arcy isn't good enough any more and Earls isn't a centre. Both didn't do anything noteworthy with the ball. Heaslip was poor, as were the second rows. The front row held up well in the scrum, but Best should be annoyed with his throwing performance and Healy should have walked in the first half.

A win today would have papered over another uninspired, unimpressive performance. defensively were were good, but we're absolutely useless with the ball. Changes must be made.

In summary, France and Ireland are both **** poor, Dave McPherson is an idiot and Rob Kearney is a god.

D'Arcy did something very noteworthy with the ball. I noted it loudly and vigerously in the general direction of the TV...

Sorry but I have an overdose of Rougerie or Pointrenaud..I think they won't play the world cup and I think we have substitute that are as good as them and much younger...David, Mermoz, Bastaraud...

David is crap
Mermoz is a 12
Bastareaud is fat (but still quite a decent fatty anyway)

Poitrenaud has never had a chance at centre with France despite being impressive there for Toulouse and being the form player during the World Cup period, another option is Florian Fritz

David is crap
Mermoz is a 12
Bastareaud is fat (but still quite a decent fatty anyway)

Poitrenaud has never had a chance at centre with France despite being impressive there for Toulouse and being the form player during the World Cup period, another option is Florian Fritz

It is your perspective. I think David is not lucky cause often injured but I think that he is a strong rugby player..if he could work on on his offload, that would be perfect. Fritz starts to be relatively old, I do not see the point to make him play now as we have decent and younger other players. We can put Mermoz as 12 and Fofana as a 13 for example.

I agree for Buttin, he should be called in the french team.

Disappointed to say the least.

No win No fee
wink.gif

If you'd offered me a draw before the game I most likely would have taken it, but once again the performance leaves a bitter taste in the mouth. That was a poor French side. We should have won. We had both the territory and possession to do so, yet we didn't even score in the second half.

We created nothing out wide, I wouldn't have even known our centres were playing such was their anonymity. Murray is too slow for international rugby. The difference in terms of go forward ball when Reddan came on was staggering. D'arcy isn't good enough any more and Earls isn't a centre. Both didn't do anything noteworthy with the ball. Heaslip was poor, as were the second rows. The front row held up well in the scrum, but Best should be annoyed with his throwing performance and Healy should have walked in the first half.

A win today would have papered over another uninspired, unimpressive performance. defensively were were good, but we're absolutely useless with the ball. Changes must be made.

In summary, France and Ireland are both **** poor, Dave McPherson is an idiot and Rob Kearney is a god.

O'Connell was grand. Verrry tough on Heaslip. I thought he had a good game. We probably would've lost if it wasn't for his turnover at the end.

I don't like the BBC headline: 'Ireland spoil French Grand Slam dreams with Paris draw’

Makes it sound as if Ireand were just out to spoil things for the French and didn't have their own aspirations to win the Championship.

How about: 'Devastated Ireland within a whisker of historic victory' or something of that ilk. ^_^

I don't like the BBC headline: 'Ireland spoil French Grand Slam dreams with Paris draw'

Makes it sound as if Ireand were just out to spoil things for the French and didn't have their own aspirations to win the Championship.

How about: 'Devastated Ireland within a whisker of historic victory' or something of that ilk. ^_^

Bit sad really that beating a France team in France should be historic for Ireland. Our aspirations aren't far beyond that if Italy using that measuring stick.

Bit sad really that beating a France team in France should be historic for Ireland. Our aspirations aren't far beyond that if Italy using that measuring stick.
Well every team has 'that' team they have trouble beating. Ireland with France. Wales with South Africa. Scotland with Wales. New Zealand with Rhodesia.

If you look at the rugby data, Ireland, France, England is like Rock, Paper, Scissors.

Good first half performance by Ireland but made to look better by a French attack that was little more than atrocious. But the second half miss one thing for Ireland and that was composure, they didn't finish off chances, didn't really know whether to kick or territory or keep possession, gave away too many penalties.

Positives:
-Kearney and Bowe had great games and look to be coming back to their best
-Defence was very good
-We dominated the contact area and breakdown
-Scrum was fairly good considering France usually are so good at that aspect
-I thought our kicking game and chase was actually quite well executed but whether that was the right tactic is debatable
-I was quite happy with our backrow and centres

Neagtives:
-Too many penalties
-Lineout shaky in pivotal times
-didn't take our chances
-lacked composure
-didn't play our big runners off ten enough

Latest posts