• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Predictions for the knockout stages.

The80sDogCancer

Academy Player
Country Flag
Australia
Club or Nation
Wests
What are other forum members predictions for the final pool placings and subsequent matchups/results for the quarter finals and so on?..

With one round of the pools remaing some QF spots have been decided but there is still quite Afew spots yet to be guaranted and so far only South Africa have solidified their position.

Here are my predictions;
POOL A:
I think the Wales vs aust game will be very close but my head and heart say Australia will win (by 5-7)
1. Australia
2. Wales

POOL B:
South Africa have secured top spot and I think Scotland will be too strong for Samoa and win giving them 2nd place.
1. South Africa
2. Scotland

POOL C:
New Zealand need to beat tonga to secure top spot and Argentina need to beat nambia to secure 2nd. Both teams will win.
1. New Zealand
2. Argentina

POOL D:
First and 2nd spot to be decided by the Ireland vs France match. I see This game becoming a sluggish, 'war of attrition' type of game, a type of game that I think will suit the French, and I predict the French to win.
1. France
2. Ireland.

1/4 FINALS:
Australia vs Scotland
I think australia will be too big a task for the scots, netherless their World Cup will still be viewed as successful

France vs Argentina
I think France will top the group but will then wish they didn't, because one team I see them struggling against the most is the team that is most similar to them, Argentina.

South Africa vs Wales
Wales' injury list I think will make this too hard a game for them. Still their performance this World Cup will be long remembered for its bravery and never say die attitude.

New Zealand vs Ireland
My head says New Zealand, they have too much experience(they know what it takes to win) but this result will be very different if Ireland 'charge out of the gates' from the start and pile on an early 10 or so lead I could see the all blacks struggle under that sort of pressure. But my head says more likely all blacks victory.

SEMI-FINALS:
Australia vs Argentina
South Africa vs New Zealand

I'm not going to make predictions on these.

So that's my prediction, what are yours?

Last edited:
I can't belive that a NH based RWC would have only SH teams left come semi-finals time.

My prediciotn is we see:
SA v Wales
ABs v France
Ireland v Argentina
OZ v Scotland

Semis:
SA v ABs
Ire v OZ

Final:
ABs OZ

That being said, I think anyone of those QF matchups could go the other way. Argentina are good enough to win vs Ireland, and on a good day I think the Scots could upset Ireland. We all know the French are capable of beating the ABs, and if SA can lose to Japan then they are no certs to beat Wales. I think this is the most competitive RWCs yet!

What are other forum members predictions for the final pool placings and subsequent matchups/results for the quarter finals and so on?..

With one round of the pools remaing some QF spots have been decided but there is still quite Afew spots yet to be guaranted and so far only South Africa have solidified their position.

Here are my predictions;
POOL A:
I think the Wales vs aust game will be very close but my head and heart say Australia will win (by 5-7)
1. Australia
2. Wales

POOL B:
South Africa have secured top spot and I think Scotland will be too strong for Samoa and win giving them 2nd place.
1. South Africa
2. Scotland

POOL C:
New Zealand need to beat tonga to secure top spot and Argentina need to beat nambia to secure 2nd. Both teams will win.
1. New Zealand
2. Argentina

POOL D:
First and 2nd spot to be decided by the Ireland vs France match. I see This game becoming a sluggish, 'war of attrition' type of game, a type of game that I think will suit the French, and I predict the French to win.
1. France
2. Ireland.

1/4 FINALS:
Australia vs Scotland
I think australia will be too big a task for the scots, netherless their World Cup will still be viewed as successful

France vs Argentina
I think France will top the group but will then wish they didn't, because one team I see them struggling against the most is the team that is most similar to them, Argentina.

South Africa vs Wales
Wales' injury list I think will make this too hard a game for them. Still their performance this World Cup will be long remembered for its bravery and never say die attitude.

New Zealand vs Ireland
My head says New Zealand, they have too much experience(they know what it takes to win) but this result will be very different if Ireland 'charge out of the gates' from the start and pile on an early 10 or so lead I could see the all blacks struggle under that sort of pressure. But my head says more likely all blacks victory.

SEMI-FINALS:
Australia vs Argentina
South Africa vs New Zealand

I'm not going to make predictions on these.

So that's my prediction, what are yours?

Ireland vs Oz in semi 1
SA vs AB's in semi 2

OZ vs SA in final. SA win.

I can't belive that a NH based RWC would have only SH teams left come semi-finals time.

My prediciotn is we see:
SA v Wales
ABs v France
Ireland v Argentina
OZ v Scotland

Semis:
SA v ABs
Ire v OZ

Final:
ABs OZ

That being said, I think anyone of those QF matchups could go the other way. Argentina are good enough to win vs Ireland, and on a good day I think the Scots could upset Ireland. We all know the French are capable of beating the ABs, and if SA can lose to Japan then they are no certs to beat Wales. I think this is the most competitive RWCs yet!

Why can't you see 4 SH teams in a NH WC? The only way I would be inclined to agree with you is if the hosts England were still in it. Realistically None of the remaining NH teams can be classed as notably higher quality than any of the remaining SH teams,

Home ground advantage is massive (specially in 'one-off' games like finals) and that would be the only way I believe a NH team could be seen to make an all SH semi final less likely or 'unbelievable'

Last edited:
Why can't you see 4 SH teams in a NH WC? The only way I would be inclined to agree with you is if the hosts England were still in it. Realistically None of the remaining NH teams can be classed as notably higher quality than any of the remaining SH teams,

Home ground advantage is massive (specially in 'one-off' games like finals) and that would be the only plausible way a NH team could be seen to make all SH semi finals unbelievable

Perhaps just a poor choice of words on my part. What I am saying is that before the WC started it would have been unthinkable that the NH teams would all be gone come semi time, particulalry given the historical advantage home turf brings when it comes to WCs.

Of course now it is a real possibility. Like I said later in my post, I believe the four QFs could actually go either way, therefore ofcourse I think it's a possibility. NZ should beat France/Ireland, OZ should beat Scotland/Japan, Wales v SA is probably closer to a 50-50 and the one place I'd disagree with you is the last game where I would argue that Argentina's likely popponent, Ireland, would be classed as "notably higher" and would go into that match as favourites. Hence I still think the chances of an all SH semi final list is, lets say, unlikely.

^^
Fair call. Ireland is the 'elephant in the room' in regards to my predictions, depending on how they go against France determines If I am close or WAY off in my quarter final and semi predictions. Ireland would find an Argentinian matchup less stressful than the French I believe just as is expect the French to find the all blacks less daunting than Ireland would

^^
Fair call. Ireland is the 'elephant in the room' in regards to my predictions, depending on how they go against France really depends If I am close or WAY off in my quarter final and semi predictions. Ireland would find an Argentinian matchup less stressful than the French I believe just as is expect the French to find the all blacks less daunting than Ireland would

Put it this way @The80sDogCancer, what odds would you give me on it being an all SH semi finals vs not? (if we had a hypothetical bet).

Last edited:
I think I'll wait to see how the final pool games play out before making any predictions; who wins the France V Ireland game and also the Australia V Wales game. I know Australia are playing well, but I see Wales as a better suited side than England, to combat Australia's strengths (particularly at the breakdown ... I think I read that Hooper had been cited? If so, this will undoubtedly help the Welsh.

I think I'll wait to see how the final pool games play out before making any predictions; who wins the France V Ireland game and also the Australia V Wales game. I know Australia are playing well, but I see Wales as a better suited side than England, to combat Australia's strengths (particularly at the breakdown ... I think I read that Hooper had been cited? If so, this will undoubtedly help the Welsh.

Yup Hooper is out (1 week) and although I dont know the details it looks like Folau is out too, Horne is in doubt, and perhaps even Giteau (although I could be wrong on that - I thought I sawa a headline somewhere).

Wales are certainly in with a shot v the OZ's and I would have thought it will by and large have a home ground type feel for them.

My prediciotn is we see:
SA v Wales
ABs v France
Ireland v Argentina
OZ v Scotland

Semis:
SA v ABs
Ire v OZ

Final:
ABs OZ

I'm inclined to agree with this however AB' have an unenviable history in the WC of choking in the big games - not saying it's going to happen but.............so could see France or SA take them out before the final.

OZ & SA on the other hand have a history of rising to the big occasion. Oz definitely have the easier route to the final and SA seem to be improving steadily through the tournament. The SA performance against USA was good - still room for refinement but clinical nonetheless.

Too close to call but as a betting man I'm going to go Oz - AB final

SA v Wales
ABs v France
Ireland v Argentina
OZ v Scotland

SA v France
Ire v OZ

France OZ

France

Put it this way, what odds would you give me on it being an all SH semi finals vs not? (if we had a hypothetical bet).

Hmm ok..

One SEMI side features RSA(70% certain) vs NZL v [IRE/FRA](NZ 80% chance to win)
Other semi Australia (100% certain) vs Argentina vs [IRE/FRA](20% chance to beat Ireland and 50% against France)

So that equates to;
With the percentages i came up for the probability of each game i then used an 'accumulator bet' adding app from the website listed below and it gave me the odds of $8.26 for an all SH semi final. (for a $1 bet)

https://www.aceodds.com/bet-calculator/accumulator.html

Last edited:
Hmm ok..

One SEMI side features RSA(70% certain) vs NZL v [IRE/FRA](NZ 80% chance to win)
Other semi Australia (100% certain) vs Argentina vs [IRE/FRA](20% chance to beat Ireland and 50% against France)

So that equates to;
With the percentages i came up for the probability of each game i then used an 'accumulator bet' adding app from the website listed below and it gave me the odds of $8.26 for an all SH semi final. (for a $1 bet)

I'm impressed mate - yeah that was basically what I came to. I estimated it at about $7.3 (about 6 to 1) based on a rougher calculation using the odds of each team making the semis (oddschecker.com: NZ $1.15, SA $1.5, OZ $1.25, and Arg $2.5) and OZ as a $1.35 shot to beat Wales to win their group.

So despite the possibility of an all SH it still is pretty unlikely was the point I was trying to make with all that. It's just you foiled my big wow factor by working out the odds :(

Last edited:
Put it this way @The80sDogCancer, what odds would you give me on it being an all SH semi finals vs not? (if we had a hypothetical bet).

Here are my calcs:
Aus/Wal 70/30
Ire/Fra 55/45

SA/Wal 75/25
SA/Aus 40/60

NZ/Ire 80/20
NZ/FR 70/30

Arg/Ire 30/70
Arg/Fra 40/60

Aus/Sco 90/10

SA semi = 0.7*0.75 + 0.3*0.4 = 0.645
NZ semi = 0.55*0.8 + 0.45*0.7 = 0.755
Arg semi = 0.55*0.4 + 0.45*0.3 = 0.355
Aus semi = 0.7*0.9 + 0.3*0.6 = 0.81

All SH = 0.645 * 0.755 * 0.355 * 0.81 = 0.14

14% chance of all SH semis. About 6/1.

Hmm ok..

So that equates to;

ImageUploadedByRugby Forum1444264377.033057.jpg

Lets be honest, whatever is being written on these forums won't go to plan - it never does. I reckon in the 4 remaining games that will potentially affect qualifying - Samoa v Scotland, Japan v USA, Wales v Australia, Ireland v France - there will be at least 2 upsets. And then in quarter final, another curve ball will be thrown as well. I'm prepared for anything really. I wouldn't even discount Japan making the semi finals via Wales beat Aus, Samoa beating Scotland, Japan beating USA and then the Japs beating us in the quarter. Imagine if them and Argentina faced off in the semi?! Anyway unlikely but we can't discount anything at this stage. That's the beauty of it. I mean before the tournament, this was my predicted quarter final line up.

South Africa v England
All Blacks v France
Ireland v Argentina
Australia v Samoa

Indeed we might not get any of those matches if the French beat Ireland.

My prediciotn is we see:
SA v Wales
ABs v France
Ireland v Argentina
OZ v Scotland

Semis:
SA v ABs
Ire v OZ

Final:
ABs OZ

I reckon this is probably the prediction I agree with most at the moment. Ireland, despite limping past Italy, have enough form that they SHOULD beat France to go first in that pool. France are capable of anything, but you'd think if they face the All Blacks then the ABs would know to expect anything and will be prepared for it. Surely we won't get another 2007.

I'm more worried about that semi final against South Africa. I think the Boks are picking up steam, and we'll need to make our tackles - something we've been suspect on at times this year.

I reckon one of the three tests could throw up an unexpected result:

Ireland v Argentina
OZ v Scotland
Ire v OZ

Ireland beating Australia might not be considered a huge upset, but I'm just saying that one could go either way. Crazy as it sounds, I wouldn't be surprised if Scotland or Argentina threw up a gigantic upset either. Just putting it out there. Argentina particularly.

Can't see Scotland pulling off a upset, but be aware of the Irish as their defensive record at this world cup is very good and have let in less points than Australia.

Can't see Scotland pulling off a upset, but be aware of the Irish as their defensive record at this world cup is very good and have let in less points than Australia.

Calibre of all Ireland's opposition has been poor. Their first real test was Italy and they didn't set the tournament on fire. France will really show what the Irish team is made of

Latest posts