• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Highlanders 2013

...he should start his own team...just him...he'd dominate, the other 14 blokes have been dragging him down for years

Good to see. It does signal the end of Rutledge in Highlanders colours (which I'm sure you will not be too happy about) - I wonder whether other teams will be keen to draft him in?

Shame, good player, always liked him.
He and Tony Brown should start an old southern folks team. They'd at least beat the Blues and Kings.

Is Abu Hamza a decent hooker?

Shame, good player, always liked him.
He and Tony Brown should start an old southern folks team. They'd at least beat the Blues and Kings.

Is Abu Hamza a decent hooker?

I don't think he looks that bad ;)

Yep, Coltman is very decent. He is one of the most promising hookers in the country in my opinion (if not the most promising) - his only really weakness is his lineout throwing (which is poor, but not horrendous, and is improving). He is an incredibly powerful scrummager, very physical with ball in hand, and strong on defense. He has the potential to go a very long way.

Last edited:
Fumiaki Tanaka very close to signing with the Highlanders. It would become the first Japanese in history to play in Super Rugby. It would be a logical reward for his very big season with Otago ITM Cup.

Fumiaki Tanaka very close to signing with the Highlanders. It would become the first Japanese in history to play in Super Rugby. It would be a logical reward for his very big season with Otago ITM Cup.

do you have a source? i hope its true

oh, ok, thought you meant you had seen something outside of our local rag :blush:

NONU the HIGHLANDER!

i may have been a little critical of him in the past but i cant argue with what he can produce when on form and JJ is just the man to get it from him

Smith > Slade/Sopoaga > Nonu > Ellison > Poki/Buxton > smith....best back line since wilson, leslie, brown and chainsaw

bench of Tanaka (still hoping) emery/treeby,poki/buxton, Slade/Sopoaga

edit : apparently he still hasn't put pen to paper, just announced they are negotiating, would think things must be pretty close for them to announce it

Last edited:
Bit disappointed in this, to be honest, the Highlanders have imported so many players now that they haven't produced, and I think it's a bit of a shambles. Turning into football.

Nonu signed for the highlanders!~

didn't see that coming, what does that mean for Sean Treeby, Kenny Lynn, Phil Burleigh? Surely they can't carry all those guys plus Ellison and Nonu who will clearly be first choice.

Seems the highlanders are all of a suddent going to have a genuine contender for best first choice backline in super rugby

Aaron smith
Slade
Gear
Nonu
Ellison
Poki ???
Ben Smith

man that's light years ahead of their backline a few years ago. when really Dagg and Ben Smith were clear standouts rest were pretty average. it's basically an all black/fringe all black backline

NONU the HIGHLANDER!

i may have been a little critical of him in the past but i cant argue with what he can produce when on form and JJ is just the man to get it from him

Smith > Slade/Sopoaga > Nonu > Ellison > Poki/Buxton > smith....best back line since wilson, leslie, brown and chainsaw

bench of Tanaka (still hoping) emery/treeby,poki/buxton, Slade/Sopoaga

:bana:

Great news for the Highlanders. This gives us one of the most dangerous backlines in the competition - if we can't make the playoffs this season I will be very disappointed!

Bit disappointed in this, to be honest, the Highlanders have imported so many players now that they haven't produced, and I think it's a bit of a shambles. Turning into football.

And how many of the Chiefs starting XV that played in this seasons final were originally from the Chiefs franchise region? Hint: it was less than 5 :p

I think people have to accept that the days of New Zealand Super Rugby teams being comprised of the best talent from within the franchise region are long gone. While I too preferred it when this was the case, I think people just have to accept it is an (unfortunate) reality of professional rugby - and it is nice the the Highlanders are the ones doing the poaching for a change ;)

didn't see that coming, what does that mean for Sean Treeby, Kenny Lynn, Phil Burleigh? Surely they can't carry all those guys plus Ellison and Nonu who will clearly be first choice.

Seems the highlanders are all of a suddent going to have a genuine contender for best first choice backline in super rugby

Aaron smith
Slade
Gear
Nonu
Ellison
Poki ???
Ben Smith

man that's light years ahead of their backline a few years ago. when really Dagg and Ben Smith were clear standouts rest were pretty average.

Of those three I understand only Treeby has been re-signed. Lynn's contract has ended, and by all accounts it will not be renewed, while Burleigh has yet to be offered a contract (though may be offered one soon).

Last edited:

Aaron smith
Slade
Gear
Nonu
Ellison
Poki ???
Ben Smith

man that's light years ahead of their backline a few years ago. when really Dagg and Ben Smith were clear standouts rest were pretty average. it's basically an all black/fringe all black backline

they didn't renew Lynn's contract and Burleigh was injury cover, our midfield backs will be nonu/emery/treeby/ellison plus anyone in the wider traning group

I thought behind Ellison, Burleigh was the highlanders best midfielder, would be a shame if he missed out on a super contract after this season which I think was a breakthrough for him. Clearly showed he was at home at that level.

I really dont like the fact NZ super rugby teams are becoming like northern clubs, where the players dont really represent the region. most sides now really only have a handful of homegrown players.

but the plus side is that as long as the blues make progress this year NZ will have 5 very strong super rugby franchises.

It will hurt overall ***le chances for NZ sides but will make for some close battles between NZ teams.

Remember they've signed Manawatu's Jason Emery in the midfield too, which negates the need for Burleigh to be re-signed.

I really dont like the fact NZ super rugby teams are becoming like northern clubs, where the players dont really represent the region. most sides now really only have a handful of homegrown players.

but the plus side is that as long as the blues make progress this year NZ will have 5 very strong super rugby franchises.

It will hurt overall ***le chances for NZ sides but will make for some close battles between NZ teams.

Completely agree, it sucks. For those of us not from one of the 5 franchise cities, who do we support? Pretty confusing for a Manawatu fan given I'm 'supposed' to support the hurricanes given we are in that region, but none of the Manawatu players even play for the 'canes. So I end up half heartedly supporting the Chiefs and Highlanders based on them having Manawatu guys in their teams. I essentially don't have a team I support.

Completely agree, it sucks. For those of us not from one of the 5 franchise cities, who do we support? Pretty confusing for a Manawatu fan given I'm 'supposed' to support the hurricanes given we are in that region, but none of the Manawatu players even play for the 'canes. So I end up half heartedly supporting the Chiefs and Highlanders based on them having Manawatu guys in their teams. I essentially don't have a team I support.

I have a solution for you. Support the Highlanders. They rock :bananarock:

I thought behind Ellison, Burleigh was the highlanders best midfielder, would be a shame if he missed out on a super contract after this season which I think was a breakthrough for him. Clearly showed he was at home at that level.

Burleigh did a good job filling in, but I don't see him as a starter at Super Rugby level. He has a good passing game and kicks well, but his isn't much of a threat with ball in hand (indeed teams just drifted off him and covered the players outside), and his defense isn't that strong. He certainly didn't look out of his depth at Super Rugby level, I just don't think he will ever be anything more than a solid backup option (perhaps the Blues could do with him?).

i'm not putting up with any of this! i have been the one getting ripped into for lamenting where the "franchises" are going and how i would prefer a bigger connection between the NPC team and the super team, pointing out how having several teams to support just ends up with people not supporting anyone properly...where were you all then?!?! :p:rolleyes: this is where it has been leading for years and i'm just going to sit back in enjoy now! :champion:

darwin: how do you look at your own "reputation"...just noticed i have one

Last edited:
i'm not putting up with any of this! i have been the one getting ripped into for lamenting where the "franchises" are going and how i would prefer a bigger connection between the NPC team and the super team, pointing out how having several teams to support just ends up with people not supporting anyone properly...where were you all then?!?! :p:rolleyes: this is where it has been leading for years and i'm just going to sit back in enjoy now! :champion:

darwin: how do you look at your own "reputation"...just noticed i have one

Didn't you used to be a hooker? I can't imagine your reputation will be that great ;)

Anyways....Click on your own name and select "view profile". In your profile there should be a tab labelled 'Reputation'.

Last edited:
in certain parts of the community my reputation was something to behold ;)

cant find it :(

Last edited:

Latest posts