• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Highlanders 2013

I wait around for people to mention Dan Pryor! I just had Ben Smith at 12 because when he has played there he has been bloody good! It meant he will have ball in hand abit more. Just a suggestion though! :)

No surprise to see they are not re-signing the likes of Lynn, Murray, or Tietjens, and as I mentioned before even though I rate Baker I don't think the Highlanders coaches do. Rutledge not being re-signed was clearly signaled a month ago when they announced the signing of Brayden Mitchell, so this isn't a surprise. I would be disappointed if we don't re-sign Retallick though. I though he was underused by the Highlanders last season, and he is the sort of player who would fit their game-plan. He isn't the most flashy of locks but does the basics right, and is an excellent lineout jumper too - if we don't re-sign him someone else will likely pick him up.

just reported on stuff that he will be back on deck next year

Tietjens back for Highlanders? It will be very interesting to see Slade back. It's almost as if most people have forgotten about him, well, mostly the media.

Probably because he is made of glass, and has played 2 matches since the World Cup

JJ should get Tony in to do some one on one with Slade, with some extra attention he can still be world class

I honestly think that if slade stays fit the highlanders should make the finals.

actually no I don't, the major problem is that currently all NZ franchises are strong. Yes the blues had a crap year but should be a hiccup.

Hard to remember a time where NZ teams were so evenly matched and strong. Blues will surely improve, highlanders will be much better off with a fit slade. I honestly can't see the Chiefs, Canes and Crusaders going backwards - having settled squads and good coaches.

Heck the canes just missed out on the finals but at the end of the round robin they were arguably the strongest team overall.

I'm not convinced Colin Slade is a better player than Sopoaga so I would rather Sopoaga started. I don't think Slade has shown that much above ITM Cup level (although, admittedly his opportunities have been limited due to injury and DC). I also don't really rate Sopoaga as a 12 (mainly due to his defense, but I think he can work on that so it may not be too much of an issue).

Highlanders have signed Emery, by the way. This is a very good signing, particularly if he continues to play for them.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/manawatu-standard/news/7761398/Heading-south

I think Emery needs to work on his defence too - awesome on attack, but from what I've seen he isn't up for much on D. Might need to bulk up a bit?

I'm not convinced Colin Slade is a better player than Sopoaga so I would rather Sopoaga started. I don't think Slade has shown that much above ITM Cup level (although, admittedly his opportunities have been limited due to injury and DC). I also don't really rate Sopoaga as a 12 (mainly due to his defense, but I think he can work on that so it may not be too much of an issue).

Highlanders have signed Emery, by the way. This is a very good signing, particularly if he continues to play for them.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/manawatu-standard/news/7761398/Heading-south

:bana::bana::bana::bana::bana::bana::bana::bana::bana::bana::bana::bana::bana::bana:

That news had really made my day! Emery is the most promising centre I have seen in ages - I was hoping that we would somehow steal him, but didn't expect it would happen! 2013 will probably be a development year for Emery, but I love the thought of an Ellison/Emery midfield!

I was actually going to mentioned about Sopoaga's defense - it has looked very shaky for Wellington since his return. As you say playing him at 12 when he can't defend that well at 10 would probably be a mistake! If Slade gets fully fit (not sure this will ever happen though) I would have him over Sopoaga - there was a reason the AB's selectors were so interested in him! When he has his confidence up he can be a very lethal player who reads the game well, has a good eye for the gap, deceptive pace, and is a superb defender. I hope one day to see that player again. Sopoaga has the potential to be a very good Super Rugby player too - I'm just not convinced about his decision making (and recently his defense). Let's face it though - Slade and Sopoaga will probably be injured by week 2, so we will probably have Hayden Parker starting at 10 in week 3 (and if he could continue his ITM Cup form that wouldn't necessarily be a bad thing - at least we would be kicking our goals!).

I think Emery needs to work on his defence too - awesome on attack, but from what I've seen he isn't up for much on D. Might need to bulk up a bit?

Emery certainly does need to work on his defense, but I'm not too worried about that at this stage. He does need to bulk up a bit, but centre is the hardest position to defend in my opinion, and considering he has only just turned 19 he has plenty of time to improve!

Last edited:
I'm not sure if he'd want to bulk up too much. We wouldn't want him to lose his agility. A bit couldn't hurt, though. I'm sure he will get plenty of practice defending against the likes of Ben Smith and Tamati Ellison at training.
On attack he reminds me of Tim Nanai-Williams, only he has a very good short passing game and puts other places into space. Where do you see him playing in the future? 10, 13? I would like to see him at second-five (sorta in the James O'Connor mould) but I think his lack of bulk and his good short passing game might mean he ends up at 13.

I'm not sure if he'd want to bulk up too much. We wouldn't want him to lose his agility. A bit couldn't hurt, though. I'm sure he will get plenty of practice defending against the likes of Ben Smith and Tamati Ellison at training.
On attack he reminds me of Tim Nanai-Williams, only he has a very good short passing game and puts other places into space. Where do you see him playing in the future? 10, 13? I would like to see him at second-five (sorta in the James O'Connor mould) but I think his lack of bulk and his good short passing game might mean he ends up at 13.

I see him as a 13. I think he needs space to move, and these days 12's don't really get much room (that's why teams opt for giants there now). Even as early as next season we could see a 12. Ellison, 13. Emery midfield for the Highlanders - obviously though you could switch them round at times in attack depending on the situation.

:bana::bana::bana::bana::bana::bana::bana::bana::bana::bana::bana::bana::bana::bana:

That news had really made my day! Emery is the most promising centre I have seen in ages - I was hoping that we would somehow steal him, but didn't expect it would happen! 2013 will probably be a development year for Emery, but I love the thought of an Ellison/Emery midfield!

I was actually going to mentioned about Sopoaga's defense - it has looked very shaky for Wellington since his return. As you say playing him at 12 when he can't defend that well at 10 would probably be a mistake! If Slade gets fully fit (not sure this will ever happen though) I would have him over Sopoaga - there was a reason the AB's selectors were so interested in him! When he has his confidence up he can be a very lethal player who reads the game well, has a good eye for the gap, deceptive pace, and is a superb defender. I hope one day to see that player again. Sopoaga has the potential to be a very good Super Rugby player too - I'm just not convinced about his decision making (and recently his defense). Let's face it though - Slade and Sopoaga will probably be injured by week 2, so we will probably have Hayden Parker starting at 10 in week 3 (and if he could continue his ITM Cup form that wouldn't necessarily be a bad thing - at least we would be kicking our goals!).

Emery certainly does need to work on his defense, but I'm not too worried about that at this stage. He does need to bulk up a bit, but centre is the hardest position to defend in my opinion, and considering he has only just turned 19 he has plenty of time to improve!

Yep, he'd fairly easily be the most promising centre we've ever had at the JWC. Let's just hope he works out a bit better than Fruean, Maitland etc. I'd love to see him starting next year but I doubt it would happen often, if at all. I'm very happy to be proven wrong, though.
I'm sure Sopoaga's decision making will improve with a bit of experience. The defense could be a bit more of a problem, especially considering he isn't exactly a small first-five. He has the size to be a decent tackler. I think Sopoaga has a better chance of being a decent All Black than Slade. Slade could be very good but I see him as a player with too little confidence to really kick on. Even if he starts putting together some decent performances again, I can't see that translating into test rugby. I'm looking at it from an AB point of view, though. For the Highlanders' sake they might be better off sticking with Slade.

I see him as a 13. I think he needs space to move, and these days 12's don't really get much room (that's why teams opt for giants there now). Even as early as next season we could see a 12. Ellison, 13. Emery midfield for the Highlanders - obviously though you could switch them round at times in attack depending on the situation.

Yea, I guess particularly at test level there wouldn't be enough space for him to shine at 12. I think he could still do a good job there, though. But I guess the most important thing is he settles in a position and doesn't get moved around all the time. 13 it is, then.

Dear Highlanders Franchise.

Stop stealing every other teams promising players and start producing your own, you lousy ********.

This seriously annoys me. Emery should be playing for the Canes, he is produced through Wellington and Palmy rugby, we produced the most promising young player (yet again!) and he gets stolen and likely ruined by the Highlanders. What a lame franchise. Hope they come last next season.

The Hurricanes don't like retaining their talented backs:

9.Aaron Smith/Piri Weepu
10.Aaron Cruden/Lima Sopoaga
11.Hosea Gear/Jason Woodward
12.Ma'a Nonu/Charlie Ngatai/Shaun Treeby
13.Robbie Fruean/Jason Emery
14.Zac Guildford/Waisake Naholo
15.Israel Dagg/Andrew Horrell/Kurt Baker

Dear Highlanders Franchise.

Stop stealing every other teams promising players and start producing your own, you lousy ********.

This seriously annoys me. Emery should be playing for the Canes, he is produced through Wellington and Palmy rugby, we produced the most promising young player (yet again!) and he gets stolen and likely ruined by the Highlanders. What a lame franchise. Hope they come last next season.

I know, it is shocking by the Highlanders. How dare the sign the best players they can. They should just stick to signing local talent - well that local talent which is left after the other franchises have taken the best of it away ;)

If the Canes wanted him, perhaps they should have signed him! It is not the Chiefs/Crusaders/Highlanders/Blues fault the Hurricanes don't sign their most promising players. Aaron Smith was overlooked for several years by the Canes before the Highlanders picked him up and 'ruined him'. The Canes chose to sign Dan Kirkpatrick rather than Lima Sopoaga. Andrew Horrell was in the Canes franchise for 2-3 years and wasn't close to being offered a contract. Despite all his promise Dagg was never offered a Canes contract. Perhaps you need to direct your anger at the Canes franchise, who seem to have limited ability to identify talent, rather than other franchises, who are simply signing the best players available :)

I know, it is shocking by the Highlanders. How dare the sign the best players they can. They should just stick to signing local talent - well that local talent which is left after the other franchises have taken the best of it away ;)

If the Canes wanted him, perhaps they should have signed him! It is not the Chiefs/Crusaders/Highlanders/Blues fault the Hurricanes don't sign their most promising players. Aaron Smith was overlooked for several years by the Canes before the Highlanders picked him up and 'ruined him'. The Canes chose to sign Dan Kirkpatrick rather than Lima Sopoaga. Andrew Horrell was in the Canes franchise for 2-3 years and wasn't close to being offered a contract. Despite all his promise Dagg was never offered a Canes contract. Perhaps you need to direct your anger at the Canes franchise, who seem to have limited ability to identify talent, rather than other franchises, who are simply signing the best players available :)

Well...no.

On a serious note - I am ****** at the Hurricanes franchise, can't believe they let another player like that go. Thank god we have Beuden Barrett and TJ Peranara, but that's where the happiness ends. Don't know why we seem to ignore so many players from Manuwatu, Taranaki and Hawkes Bay so much. Think of what our team would be like if we had recruited from those provinces better. Still - hope Highlanders lose badly. No one picks players from Otago or Southland in the last decade, there is no point. They suck. They're the charity of NZ rugby. Boom.

Well...no.

On a serious note - I am ****** at the Hurricanes franchise, can't believe they let another player like that go. Thank god we have Beuden Barrett and TJ Peranara, but that's where the happiness ends. Don't know why we seem to ignore so many players from Manuwatu, Taranaki and Hawkes Bay so much. Think of what our team would be like if we had recruited from those provinces better. Still - hope Highlanders lose badly. No one picks players from Otago or Southland in the last decade, there is no point. They suck. They're the charity of NZ rugby. Boom.

I think that is a major issue - if Super Rugby was more of a 'State of Origin' competition the Canes would be hard to beat! Don't worry though, you should manage to keep Ardie Savea as he is from Wellington!

If you look at where players played their first provincial match (first division):
Blues - 26
Chiefs - 19
Hurricanes - 56
Crusaders - 32
Highlanders - 17

And the top 5 suppliers are:
Wellington - 25
Canterbury - 24
Auckland - 18
Hawkes Bay - 14
Southland - 13

Very interesting. Some of the provinces may be slightly off - the odd player I may have gotten wrong!

I think it's a problem with the Canes franchise, they can't keep their own players because they keep on getting overlooked. I hope Ardie Savea gets picked up by the Blues, therefore they will have a good number 8 finally. ;)

Latest posts