• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Highlanders 2013

by the looks of it JJ wants more of a attacking 12 for the highlanders than a second first five, both smith and Tankaka (if he gets the nod, fingers crossed) are live wires that can spark something so with a playmaking first five he probably wants a finishing 12 rather than a third playmaker...make sense or am i off the mark here?

i rated baker and dont think he got a chance last year, pretty much my only problem with JJ is him bringing slade on at fullback staright after he recovered when he had baker on the bench....it seems he really went off baker for some reason

http://www.odt.co.nz/sport/rugby/highlanders/227311/rugby-maitland-possible-signing

interesting reading, odt thinks Poki might get delisted and we're chasing Maitland who they think is being delisted by the Saders

also confirm "Culum Rettalick, flanker Doug Tietjens, hooker Jason Rutledge, prop Bronson Murray, utility back Kendrick Lynn and outside back Kurt Baker" wont be getting their contracts renewed next year

looks like for the 3rd year in a row we're going to have a completely different squad. if baker is going and Maitland was free i would rather we kept poki

It would be a bit of a surprise if Poki was de-listed - I don't think he was at his best this season (compared to his standout form the season before!), but he would still warrant a spot in the team in my opinion. If we could get Maitland he would be a great signing though!

No surprise to see they are not re-signing the likes of Lynn, Murray, or Tietjens, and as I mentioned before even though I rate Baker I don't think the Highlanders coaches do. Rutledge not being re-signed was clearly signaled a month ago when they announced the signing of Brayden Mitchell, so this isn't a surprise. I would be disappointed if we don't re-sign Retallick though. I though he was underused by the Highlanders last season, and he is the sort of player who would fit their game-plan. He isn't the most flashy of locks but does the basics right, and is an excellent lineout jumper too - if we don't re-sign him someone else will likely pick him up.

holy cow, I can't believe how much of a scramble this years player movements are. I think the Hurricanes and Chiefs have really set the benchmark after having a cleanout and bringing talent through

that highlanders delisted players list for real?
The players mentioned (apart from Poki) aren't being de-listed - it is simply that there contracts have ended, and they haven't (yet) been offered new contracts.

I understand that it does not mean that they wont be playing for the highlanders next year but it means that they would have to be unwanted by another team and Jamie Joseph would only re-sign them if he did not find a better option.

Still a suprise to see Rutlegde and Poki D'd. Poki has been one of their better performers and Cabbage - apart from being an awesome player is a cult hero.

Sean Maitland has been overtaken by Adam Whitelock at the crusaders, A move to the highlanders may help invigorate his carrier.

I can understand Baker being cut, like Stowers I don't think he's really fired a shot at super rugby level. So much competition for outside backs in NZ, if you don't really stand out you wont last long.

As for Phil Burleigh I think he is better suited for the highlanders. I think the chiefs really need a 12 who is primarily a straight ball runner and defender to operate outside Cruden and draw defenders, rather than someone who operates a bit wider and works as a play maker like Burleigh.

I disagree on this. He has had just over 200 minutes at Super Rugby level (just over 3 full games), and looked very good, even though all of this has been on the wing which is not his best position. I think he would be an excellent backup fullback for any NZ Super Rugby franchise.

are you guys in the right thread? :huh: ;)

Sorry Jabs.

Always liked Rutledge. I had hoped that he would get at least one cap.
Maitland would be a great signing. I've been impressed with Popuali'i from what I've seen, though.

Sorry Jabs.

Always liked Rutledge. I had hoped that he would get at least one cap.
Maitland would be a great signing. I've been impressed with Popuali'i from what I've seen, though.

nice save...i agree on all points, you just told me what i wanted to hear ;)

nice save...i agree on all points, you just told me what i wanted to hear ;)

I try and watch the Highlanders when I can but not as much to make a wholly formed opinion, but thanks.
We all love Ben Smith, though.

What would you guys think of

9. Aaron Smith
10. Lima Sopoaga
11. Hosea Gear ( is he signed for another year? )
12. Ben Smith
13. Tamati Ellison
14. Buxton Popoali'i
15. Colin Slade

Well, thats just my opinion, I think it really offers a wide range of abilities. What you think?

I think if slade is in good form he should be playing 10, he's such a classy player when he fires. Bit wasted at 15

What would you guys think of

9. Aaron Smith
10. Lima Sopoaga
11. Hosea Gear ( is he signed for another year? )
12. Ben Smith
13. Tamati Ellison
14. Buxton Popoali'i
15. Colin Slade

Well, thats just my opinion, I think it really offers a wide range of abilities. What you think?

think we'd all prefer (assuming all fit and in form and no other signings)

9. Aaron Smith
10. Colin Slade
11. Hosea Gear (yes, he has )
12. Lima Sopoaga
13. Tamati Ellison
14. Buxton Popoali'i
15. Ben Smith

but Maitland at 14 with buxton or poki on the bench would give us one of the best backlines in the comp, IMO

think we'd all prefer (assuming all fit and in form and no other signings)

9. Aaron Smith
10. Colin Slade
11. Hosea Gear (yes, he has )
12. Lima Sopoaga
13. Tamati Ellison
14. Buxton Popoali'i
15. Ben Smith

but Maitland at 14 with buxton or poki on the bench would give us one of the best backlines in the comp, IMO

Yep, that is what I would go for. Playing Sopoaga at 12 would be a bit of a risk, but given our game-plan I think we need someone at 12 who will pass the ball (e.g. not Treeby). As you say, if Maitland signs he would start on the right wing over Popoali'i.

I don't mind the idea of Slade at fullback, but Ben Smith still plays his best rugby at fullback, so we are better off having him there IMO. I wouldn't mind seeing Smith at 13, but I think that is Ellisons best position. If we manage to somehow get Nonu (which looks unlikely), Sopoaga and Slade would be fighting out the 10 shirt.....

9. Aaron Smith
10. Ben Smith
11. Ben Smith (yes, Ben Smith)
12. Ben Smith
13. Ben Smith
14. Ben Smith
15. Ben Smith

9. Aaron Smith
10. Ben Smith
11. Ben Smith (yes, Ben Smith)
12. Ben Smith
13. Ben Smith
14. Ben Smith
15. Ben Smith

Come on, that would just be unfair on everyone else!

We wouldn't need him. Why settle for second best when you can have the best :p

What, you think I spend my whole day on this forum waiting for someone to mention Ben Smith?

You are right.

why not, i spend my time hanging around wainting for mentions of Jason Rutledge ;)

...and for you to reply to someone mentioning Ben Smith....if he wan't a kings boy he would be perfect...

Latest posts