• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Highlanders 2013

Looks like the Highlanders aren't going to sign Jason Rutledge for next season (http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby/super-rugby/7313134/Rutledge-appears-surplus-to-requirements), with Bayden Mitchell already signed, and they are still in talks with Andrew Hore about signing him for another season (and I suspect he will say). I have to say I'm slightly surprised by this as (a) Rutledge has been in good form despite his age (b) Liam Coltman looks potentially a better hooker than Mitchell, so if they were going to sign a young hooker I'd have gone for him!

I was just going to post this

agree on all points, at least they have been up front with him and you'd have to say it was being done for the right reasons (looking to the future)..i still say give Horie the 7 jersey and start with rutledge at rake ;)

Well, there's no reason they can't have Mitchell and Coltman, especially as they're both 'projects'. NZRFU did not force teams to take only 2 hookers, both the Canes and crusaders had 3 hookers in their squads this year so I don't know what the writer is on about.
Rutledge has been playing well, certainly still one of the top 8 hookers in the country, but you'd have to say its been a notch down on his form of the last two years, whether that's because of all the benchwarming, or he's on the downward slope perhaps? You'd have thought they'd want to look at the NPC first to find out which one it is.

Thought I would post this here (rather than start a new thread), but the Highlanders have signed Tasman lock/loosie Joe Wheeler. I think he is a very good signing for the Highlanders - he is a hard working player, and can cover multiple positions (lock, 6, 8) - in many ways he is a direct replacement for Nick Crosswell. It is a big opportunity for Wheeler to establish himself as a Super Rugby player, as he got few chances stuck behind a pile of quality player at the Crusaders....

Last edited:
We've also just signed tony woodcock, a little bit out of left field, what does this mean for whoppa and the captaincy....awesome news though!!!!!!

How come the Hurricanes never get anyone elses good players? Ours get pinched, but we don't take anyone elses...

The last big name player from another franchise I remember signing with the Hurricanes was Jonah Lomu in 2000.

I don't get the woodcock news, sure the two bench props change will make things interesting but they are both top level 80min players. Have to think maybe Jamie will end up moving?

I don't get the woodcock news, sure the two bench props change will make things interesting but they are both top level 80min players. Have to think maybe Jamie will end up moving?

Yeah. Woodcock to the highlanders. That changes the mix a bit!

If they are looking for an outside back with outright speed, they could have a look at the Aussie guy Peter Beetham playing for Tasman. That guy has some gas!!!

Betham needs to go to the Force and Reds, then he'll complete his Aussie S15 jersey collection.

1st 5 organising strucured attack + centre organising defense (and directing counterattack) means 12 just has to play and 10 doesn't have any distactive responsabilities. the fact that he's two out is irrelivant - i'm not looking for somebody to give him a back rub.

Rumours of Nonu heading south.
Whilst not a bad option, I thought Phil Burleigh looked good at inside centre.

If we managed to secure Nonu, and if Sopoaga and Slade stayed fit (both big 'ifs') I think we could be genuine ***le contenders.

Burleigh was pretty solid for us last season, but his defense was a bit weak at times, an he was didn't really offer that much on attack. He was a good distributor (as unlike Treeby he actually passed the ball!), and a excellent second kicking option, but I think we would function much better with a bigger attacking threat in the 12 jersey (I quite like the sound of a Slade/Sopoaga combo if we can't get Nonu). Not sure if Burleigh is signed with anyone for next season (as he was only picked up by the Highlanders on a temporary contract) - I would imagine we would pick him up again if we don't get Nonu (or possibly even if we do get Nonu)...

i'm not a big nonu fan...BUT, dont think we can really compare the two, i cant argue with what nonu can do when on form and think he and ellison would make a potent midfield combo

I just REALLY want to see slade and sopanga get more than a couple of games...see what they can do! are they back playing/trainaing?

So Sopoaga at second five? If if recall correctly, he played there for the 2011 JWC.
I heard rumours of the Chiefs wanting Burleigh back, not sure what has come of it.

Nonu would kill plenty of good ball. He hasn't looked in the best form lately. I rate Joseph highly, however, and feel he would use Nonu effectively.

i'm not a big nonu fan...BUT, dont think we can really compare the two, i cant argue with what nonu can do when on form and think he and ellison would make a potent midfield combo

I just REALLY want to see slade and sopanga get more than a couple of games...see what they can do! are they back playing/trainaing?

Sopoaga had his first match back off the bench for Wellington in the weekend. Haven't heard anything about Slade yet.

So Sopoaga at second five? If if recall correctly, he played there for the 2011 JWC.
I heard rumours of the Chiefs wanting Burleigh back, not sure what has come of it.

Nonu would kill plenty of good ball. He hasn't looked in the best form lately. I rate Joseph highly, however, and feel he would use Nonu effectively.

Sopoaga is still more of a 10, but I think his skill-set makes him equally (if not more) suited to 12. Yep, he played there for the Under 20's, and was very effective. Like Burliegh he would act as a second playmaker, but he has a superb running game too (he has a fantastic step off either foot), so the opposition would have to watch him very carefully (whereas I feel they tend to just drift off Burleigh, as they know he isn't much of a threat).

Last edited:
http://www.odt.co.nz/sport/rugby/highlanders/227311/rugby-maitland-possible-signing

interesting reading, odt thinks Poki might get delisted and we're chasing Maitland who they think is being delisted by the Saders

also confirm "Culum Rettalick, flanker Doug Tietjens, hooker Jason Rutledge, prop Bronson Murray, utility back Kendrick Lynn and outside back Kurt Baker" wont be getting their contracts renewed next year

looks like for the 3rd year in a row we're going to have a completely different squad. if baker is going and Maitland was free i would rather we kept poki

holy cow, I can't believe how much of a scramble this years player movements are. I think the Hurricanes and Chiefs have really set the benchmark after having a cleanout and bringing talent through

that highlanders delisted players list for real?

I understand that it does not mean that they wont be playing for the highlanders next year but it means that they would have to be unwanted by another team and Jamie Joseph would only re-sign them if he did not find a better option.

Still a suprise to see Rutlegde and Poki D'd. Poki has been one of their better performers and Cabbage - apart from being an awesome player is a cult hero.

Sean Maitland has been overtaken by Adam Whitelock at the crusaders, A move to the highlanders may help invigorate his carrier.

I can understand Baker being cut, like Stowers I don't think he's really fired a shot at super rugby level. So much competition for outside backs in NZ, if you don't really stand out you wont last long.

As for Phil Burleigh I think he is better suited for the highlanders. I think the chiefs really need a 12 who is primarily a straight ball runner and defender to operate outside Cruden and draw defenders, rather than someone who operates a bit wider and works as a play maker like Burleigh.

Latest posts