English Arrogance
Staff member
TRF Legend
Country Flag
England
Club or Nation
Sale
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/rugby_union/welsh/9354728.stm
Wales have been dealt a huge Six Nations blow as prop Gethin Jenkins has been ruled out for 10 weeks.
The Cardiff Blues loose-head will undergo surgery on Wednesday as Jenkins hopes to rectify a toe and calf injury.
More to follow.

Such a shame,

Hopefully there's no complications when he comes back (like there was with Flannery) and it doesn't effect his WC

All the ******* time.
Do you reckon we'll ever be able to play our first team in an International game?

He's obviously a blow, but one we can deal with. He'll of course be impossible to replace in the loose, but Paul James will probably come in and do a better job at scrum. James has probably been one of the most improved players in Wales over the past two years, his loose work is slowly improving to go along with his scrummaging abilities. For a long time, I thought he was a useless tw*t, along with Cai Griffiths, but he's really changed my opinion of him. Hell even Cai Griffiths came on on the weekend and didn't go backwards in the scrum! Duncan Jones is also getting back to some form, it'll be nice to have such an experienced player to call upon. Iestyn Thomas is always available aswell, but I don't think Gatland should or will include someone of his age into his Welsh squad for the first time.

In the long run, I think this will be a good thing. Gethin Jenkins has been picking up injury after injury recently, nothing majour, but injuries nonetheless. I don't think he's been fully fit for a while, and this lay-off should hopefully see him re-energised and fully fit for the WC. Look at what Adam Jones' layoff did to him, he's stepped up another gear since returning.

Last edited:
Still a big loss as Gethin is consistant and a world class player so hope to see him back on the field soon

Huge loss. Obviously James'll come in to start, although who will come in on the bench? Hopefully Yapp will be left out as he's completely useless. Ryan Bevington and Duncan Jones get around the park better than most props plus can scrummage, I reckon the pair of them should be in with a shout, although niether are Geth. I'd love to see Bevington step up, though.

He's obviously a blow, but one we can deal with. He'll of course be impossible to replace in the loose, but Paul James will probably come in and do a better job at scrum. James has probably been one of the most improved players in Wales over the past two years, his loose work is slowly improving to go along with his scrummaging abilities. For a long time, I thought he was a useless tw*t, along with Cai Griffiths, but he's really changed my opinion of him. Hell even Cai Griffiths came on on the weekend and didn't go backwards in the scrum! Duncan Jones is also getting back to some form, it'll be nice to have such an experienced player to call upon. Iestyn Thomas is always available aswell, but I don't think Gatland should or will include someone of his age into his Welsh squad for the first time.

In the long run, I think this will be a good thing. Gethin Jenkins has been picking up injury after injury recently, nothing majour, but injuries nonetheless. I don't think he's been fully fit for a while, and this lay-off should hopefully see him re-energised and fully fit for the WC. Look at what Adam Jones' layoff did to him, he's stepped up another gear since returning.
Your point about Iestyn Thomas makes it sound like he's never been capped before, Dull. I think he's an option, but he's had a couple of tunings recently.

Major blow, got to echo Cyril in what he said, will we ever start the Six Nations with a full strength squad free of injuries because it never seems to happen. I think its between Paul James and Duncan Jones and personally I'd like to see Duncan Jones come back into the side and be given a chance to perform for Wales like he used to. Though Paul James has been more of an ever present around the Welsh squad the last few years I'd like to see Duncan given the chance though it would be difficult for Gatland to justify picking Duncan Jones over Paul James as Duncan Jones hasn't been in and around the Welsh set-up for a while.
As other posters have said, huge blow but fortunately at the moment in Wales we have quite a few options who can replace Gethin and do a good job.

Your point about Iestyn Thomas makes it sound like he's never been capped before, Dull. I think he's an option, but he's had a couple of tunings recently.

Yeh, it does sound that way. I tried to word it in a way that it didn't, by using 'his' Welsh squad (referring to Gatland). Gatland's simply not the kind of coach who's willing to select an older player as a stop gap, if there are younger options available, espeicallu one that he hasn't been involved with before. I know Duncan Jones isn't exactly young, but he's a more experienced international player, so could be in line for a recall. Then against Gatland may go for youngsters like Bevington instead.

It makes sense to blood a youngster when theres an opportunity to do so I suppose but I'd still go for Duncan Jones and give a youngster a run out against Italy (then again playing an in-experienced prop against the Azurri is probably not the smartest move as their pack is right up there with the best), no disrspect to them

It makes sense to blood a youngster when theres an opportunity to do so I suppose but I'd still go for Duncan Jones and give a youngster a run out against Italy (then again playing an in-experienced prop against the Azurri is probably not the smartest move as their pack is right up there with the best), no disrspect to them

3288.1.jpg

Its a massive blow for Wales, he simply cannot be replaced. Fantastic in the loose and does a job at scrum time, not as strong as Paul James but he's never really been dominated in recent times.

Paul James
Rhys Gill
John Yapp
Duncan Jones

Are the men that will likely be looked at. Iestyn Thomas time has come and gone. He looks outdated for the Scarlets at times and his scrummaging has been subject to some scrutiny this season. The 3 out of the 4 mentioned above will do a job. Yapp is the waste of space, just a big boy who has lost the ability to scrummage. Once seen as a good bench option has now seen his chances gone. Wales should look at Duncan Jones, Gill and Bevington.

Duncan Jones I think should get the nod, closely followed by Paul James. Gill and Bevington are ones for the future though I'm sure.

It is nice to see a whole raft of young props beggining to step up to professional rugby. I must say that I've been hugely impressed with Gardiner considering how he had to be rushed into the fold. He's got much to improve on, but he's not struggled half as badly as I thought he might at scrum and he's putting himself about.

Depending on wheather or not Ross is picked, maybe giving gametime to a young prop against Ireland would be the correct thing to do. They certainly appear to have by far the weakest scrum, and the likes of Gill and Bevington will probably add something about the park. Ireland is a big, big game though, so ideally we probably need every advantage we can get, and mullering them scrum time (again depending on who Ireland select) is a big one!

Bit of a forgotten man is Jamie Corsi, he was built up to be the next big prop in Wales when he was at the Dragons. Then he signed for the Scarlets and now has gone to play in New Zealand. Hes still young so hopefully he comes back a better player and maybe he'll still have something to offer Wales in the future.

The squad should be announced in about a week, so we will see then.
Its usually four or five props, so I'd go with Adam, Paul, Duncan, and perhaps Ryan Bevington and Rhys Gill for younger props. Ken Owens was training with Wales, so hopefully that means Huw is gone.

Hibbard should be in there too, he's ahead of Huw Bennett at 'spreys, so we'll just have to see just how deep Gatlands love for Bennett is...

Hibbard should be in there too, he's ahead of Huw Bennett at 'spreys, so we'll just have to see just how deep Gatlands love for Bennett is...

Or how good Bennett's pictures are...

Hibbard might be ahead of Bennett, but that's not saying much. I haven't seen much of Rhys Williams, who has captained the U18 side and plays for the Blues- Perhaps in a few years time.

Corsi is a tight head prop for anyone thats interested.

Rhys Williams looks good but his throwing needs a little work, one for the future I am sure.

Latest posts