• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

England 2023/24

J Willis signed a new 4 year deal with Toulouse. Effectively Eng career over although there is a break clause that would allow him to sign for an English club in 27/8 to be eligible for the RWC.

He's obviously v happy where he is, but shame how little we're going to see of him in a white shirt. While I get the Prem players only rule it's also nuts that some English players aren't eligible for England.

The press are gonna be insufferable in the run up to the RWC, it's gonna be Steffon Armitage x 3000
Kim-Jong-Il-Plans-a-Event-2356-Times-More-Devastating-Than-911-In-Team-America-World-Police-Quote.jpg

On the subject of French ineligibility, if Furbank is now seen as so essential to our new style it's kind of ironic and a bit of an own goal that his closest proxy as a running FB is plying his trade across the channel and ineligible. I know opinion on here is mixed on Arundell but you can't deny that he's probably a bit better at running the ball from deep than chasing kicks on the wing - there's serious talent there, I hope his time eventually comes.

At some point we may have to accept that English clubs can't compete with French ones or even Japanese on salaries and risk seriously handicapping the national side of the English based only rule stays. The rule is intended to keep top players in England. If it's failing to do that, it should be scrapped.

Completely disagree, it's more important than ever for exactly those reasons
If players want to give up on international rugby to secure the bag then that's entirely their choice, no one should feel sorry for them because they wanted £400k instead of £200k + international money

I don't want the Prem to nose dive any faster than it already is, losing all the internationals from the league will have a bigger knock on effect on the sport than not being able to pick players in France

Completely disagree, it's more important than ever for exactly those reasons
If players want to give up on international rugby to secure the bag then that's entirely their choice, no one should feel sorry for them because they wanted £400k instead of £200k + international money

I don't want the Prem to nose dive any faster than it already is, losing all the internationals from the league will have a bigger knock on effect on the sport than not being able to pick players in France
That's kinda the point, if the rule actually doesn't stop the international level players leaving then we are handicapping the side and doing nothing to save the prem. As long as the rule keeps top players here then it should stay but when it stops doing that, it should be scrapped.

The rule is to retain talent, if it's not doing that then all it is don't is kneecapping the national side.

That's kinda the point, if the rule actually doesn't stop the international level players leaving then we are handicapping the side and doing nothing to save the prem. As long as the rule keeps top players here then it should stay but when it stops doing that, it should be scrapped.

The rule is to retain talent, if it's not doing that then all it is don't is kneecapping the national side.
Almost everyone is staying though, with the exception of players looking for a last payday, and those impacted by clubs folding and being forced abroad.

If people like Marcus or Steward start going, then the alarm bells will be ringning

On the subject of French ineligibility, if Furbank is now seen as so essential to our new style it's kind of ironic and a bit of an own goal that his closest proxy as a running FB is plying his trade across the channel and ineligible. I know opinion on here is mixed on Arundell but you can't deny that he's probably a bit better at running the ball from deep than chasing kicks on the wing - there's serious talent there, I hope his time eventually comes.
I don't think they are similar players at all. Also think he's way behind any of our current wingers and miles behind Furbank whose ability to find space, the way he gets into the gane, kicking, running and ability in the air are top notch.

If you want a like-for-like for Burbank, who's started the season well, then look to De Granville, surely.

I think they will certainly be a lot of blame towards that policy if things go badly in Australia in three years time. Fundamentally the majority who watch Engkand rugby don't watch the club game.