• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Aviva Premiership Round 16/17 Round 6

Someone has brought this incident up on another forum I follow. The poster there said that the referee mentioned the ball having crossed the plane of the touchline, so I can only assume that he and the TJ both thought that Roko's feet were off the ground which would indeed mean that the ball was dead. However if this was the case, my understanding is that he would have been in touch when he played the ball, so it should have been a Bath lineout. Thoughts referees?

If you Google Tom Foley, you'll see that he's no stranger to controversy in his 25 AP games so far.

touch.PNG if his feet are off the ground and the ball has crossed the touch line all that matters is where his feet are

attachment.php
if his feet are off the ground and the ball has crossed the touch line all that matters is where his feet are

His feet were a long way back from the touch line. That game was full of some seriously dubious decisions against Bath. I don't often say this but I think Bath would be well within their rights to launch an official complaint at how one sided the refereeing of that game was. The last time I thought that was when Steve Walsh reffed our 30-3 defeat to Wales (funny, same scoreline).

His feet were a long way back from the touch line. That game was full of some seriously dubious decisions against Bath. I don't often say this but I think Bath would be well within their rights to launch an official complaint at how one sided the refereeing of that game was. The last time I thought that was when Steve Walsh reffed our 30-3 defeat to Wales (funny, same scoreline).

From a completely non biased view (saints fan) I'd agree and say a formal complaint should be in order. Terrible decision making throughout the game from the officials

Chiefs need a kick up the backside. 3 points today and 5th in the Premiership is masking their complacency. They will come unstuck soon enough unless something changes. There is no rhythm or flow to their game, its disjointed and lethargic. The only players who performed well today are Salvi, Woodburn, Devoto and Sam Hill who had a brilliant game at 13 (where I think he should be played more often). Slade had another shocker and LCD was brilliant in the loose but very poor in the lineout, which is a shame because he seemed to have got his throwing upto speed. Geoff Parling being the only lineout option (until Welch came on) probably didn't help but Yeandle was throwing poorly last week as well. Something is missing from the club this year and Baxter likes to find positives in all situations but sooner or later you have to address things when they are not working properly. Perhaps something isn't working off the field somewhere which is having an effect during matches, or maybe its just one of those things. Either way, something needs to change or we will be chasing top 6 this year.

View attachment 4608 if his feet are off the ground and the ball has crossed the touch line all that matters is where his feet are

IIRC none of the above is relevant.
Roko wet started on the ground, in the field of play; and remained on the ground, in the field of play.

The ball crossed the line, but was caught by a player in play. TJ called it as a lineout to Sale and was the 3rd outright wrong decision in 3 plays, all by the same TJ. What should have been a Bath lineout 5m you became a Sale lineout in the Bath half.
It's also just one of many bad decisions on the day, not all going against Bath.

Last edited:
Chiefs need a kick up the backside. 3 points today and 5th in the Premiership is masking their complacency. They will come unstuck soon enough unless something changes. There is no rhythm or flow to their game, its disjointed and lethargic. The only players who performed well today are Salvi, Woodburn, Devoto and Sam Hill who had a brilliant game at 13 (where I think he should be played more often). Slade had another shocker and LCD was brilliant in the loose but very poor in the lineout, which is a shame because he seemed to have got his throwing upto speed. Geoff Parling being the only lineout option (until Welch came on) probably didn't help but Yeandle was throwing poorly last week as well. Something is missing from the club this year and Baxter likes to find positives in all situations but sooner or later you have to address things when they are not working properly. Perhaps something isn't working off the field somewhere which is having an effect during matches, or maybe its just one of those things. Either way, something needs to change or we will be chasing top 6 this year.

Completely agree. Lack of game breakers without nowell as well

Very Nervous, could see Wasps beating us.
Would've liked to see Spencer start, great kicker and I can see Loz leaving points out there we cant afford to lose. And if he gets injured we might see Bosch or Wiggs going there. Goode out is massive after being our best player for the last 2 years or so.
My prediction is Saracens by 3-7

That was one of the dumbest penalties I've seen this season by Hughes.

Launchbury's attitude to the referee there wasn't that good, he should show more respect than to walk away while the ref is still talking to him.

EDIT Paha that rip by Itoje!

Last edited:
How did Itoje do that ?!?! Ripped the ball and spun around and ran at wasps players

Anyone who thinks Binny shouldn't be starting 8 for England needs to give their head a wobble.

That was one of the dumbest penalties I've seen this season by Hughes.

What was it?

Trying to steal the ball after a ruck has formed?
He seems to not understand that you aren't allowed to do it - seriously, either he just can't help himself, or he doesn't know that it's illegal.

What was it?

He seems to not understand that you aren't allowed to do it - seriously, either he just can't help himself, or he doesn't know that it's illegal.

Yep, about 5m out from his own line right in front of the ref. Saracens scored a maul try from that as well. Also done it later in the game when the ruck was formed he cleared one player, then grabbed the ball.

What was it?

Aye, he basically had to crawl over the ruck to do it as well,he was lying on top of the Sarries player guarding it. Even if he got it he'd have been off his feet.
I know players often give away a penalty to stop a try but that didn't look like one of those at all.

He does it almost every game - and there's always a look of genuine confusion when he gets pinged for it.

I think he doesn't know he's not allowed to do it. As ridiculous as it sounds.

Either way I saw little to suggest he should leap past Billy to be England's 8. If this is a regular occurance for him then possibly not even 2nd choice 8, we don't need stupid players in the squad.

Latest posts