• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Australia vs England - 3 Tests - June 2016

Read your analysis on rugby rebels peat, very enjoyable.

Having done all that, how do you feel about most folks over there scoring Hask with around 4/10, Harrison 6-7, and Clifford 7-8?

It seems rather harsh to me, especially when considering the lack of tackles and missed tackles (the try!) from Clifford, and 5 pens from Harrison.

Read your analysis on rugby rebels peat, very enjoyable.

Having done all that, how do you feel about most folks over there scoring Hask with around 4/10, Harrison 6-7, and Clifford 7-8?

It seems rather harsh to me, especially when considering the lack of tackles and missed tackles (the try!) from Clifford, and 5 pens from Harrison.

They're wrong.

Hask had a quiet but solid match. A couple of "Oh Hask" moments, but mainly when outnumbered, and a few noteworthy contributions, particularly in being first man to the ruck. I suspect he'd have the highest tackle of the 3 if he'd played the full 80. Carried okay around the fringes - he's one of a number of England players who goes high to try and win the collision and drive on rather than low and through the gap, which doesn't work too well, but Hask makes it work better than most.

Clifford I think is getting seriously overegged. He was very reliable on taking the restart, performed well at the base and made a couple of electric breaks, but he was part of several bits of sloppy play and if someone was to rate his game as ball in hand/not ball in hand, I think I'd say 8 and 4. Which averages at 6 - feels harsh considering two really big contributions, but the nuts and bolts matter. His carrying apart from those breaks was decent-good rather than good-great for me.

Harrison is the interesting one. 5 penalties should see you dangling by your toes on a long rope as the tide comes up the Thames. He made a few other mistakes too - not playing to the whistle and killing Liam Williams when he had the chance, jogging past a ruck we were losing on their 5m line (Clifford did that too... actually twice sort of), and that godawful pass from the base (probably the worst pass made by anyone in an England shirt all game). But - he worked hard, and showed some good alertness around the ruck. Also, he made several good busts through their defensive line. I like how he knows to go low and quick when facing forwards, but that he can go high and dominate the collision and keep going against Rhys Priestland.

Sharpen up Harrison's brain a little and he's a good to go. Jack Clifford clearly could be one of the England greats, but needs to pick up his all round game a lot. I thought Jones was joshing a little when he was asking Clifford to go out there and prove his desperation but now I understand. No England back row should be content to only make three tackles. He's possibly a little unlucky to find himself on undermanned blindsides twice - but then, you've got to realise that's where you are, and you've got to be screaming blue murder at the other guys. Understandable lapse in a newbie perhaps, but its still either something you get right or watch others do from the stands.

Jones might disagree, but Clifford's no more than a wonder sub at the moment. I actually wish he was in South Africa rather than Australia now, you could give him 2 full games against a big Bok pack and tell him he's the captain, lead by example, be everywhere. That would do more necessary development than sub minutes in Australia.

Clifford also took a few at the front of the line out.

Obviously he needs to sharpen up his grunt work, but equally there's no doubt he can do things others just can't. We have plenty of people who'll tackle and hit rucks all day long, we have somewhat fewer who can carry in a potentially game breaking way.

I'm not totally sold on him yet either, but the grounds out in Oz will suit him and the trip will be a waste if we don't use the opportunity to have a proper look at a couple of new faces. Why not pair him with Hask or Robshaw and see what happens?

Because I want to win games first and foremost. If Jones reckons Clifford is the answer fair enough, we'll see, but I didn't see that. I'm not sure him and Vunipola in the same back row would work too well.

I think I'd go for Harrison before Clifford if we're going to put a new face in.

I watched England-Wales few days ago. I cant even imagine England beating Australia.
Southern Rugby is much much better in every aspect of the game. Their skills, Creativity, discipline, coaching, training. Everything is better then northern teams.

I gues Australia will win all 3 matches, but last one may be close.

I watched England-Wales few days ago. I cant even imagine England beating Australia.
Southern Rugby is much much better in every aspect of the game. Their skills, Creativity, discipline, coaching, training. Everything is better then northern teams.

I gues Australia will win all 3 matches, but last one may be close.

Would agree with that. This is also my impression from watching a fair bit of Super Rugby. Backs play in particular is 2 notches above what we see here. They can play at faster pace and are better at identifying space. Better handling skills too.
They're also less collision prone in the forwards and don't go to ground as much. However forward play is an area where the best northern teams could match the SH. Nothing wrong with a good mauling team a solid line-out and a dominating scrum.

Wouldn't write off England though. Think they will rattle Australia and win at least 1 game.

Problem with 6 Nations it doesn't give them the platform needed to prepare for a tour down under. Maybe Eddie Jones as an aussie can bridge that gap.

Would agree with that. This is also my impression from watching a fair bit of Super Rugby. Backs play in particular is 2 notches above what we see here. They can play at faster pace and are better at identifying space. Better handling skills too.
They're also less collision prone in the forwards and don't go to ground as much. However forward play is an area where the best northern teams could match the SH. Nothing wrong with a good mauling team a solid line-out and a dominating scrum.

Wouldn't write off England though. Think they will rattle Australia and win at least 1 game.

Problem with 6 Nations it doesn't give them the platform needed to prepare for a tour down under. Maybe Eddie Jones as an aussie can bridge that gap.

Yeah but super rugby defences are a joke. We will smash Australia up front and then see what they have left.

Yeah but super rugby defences are a joke. We will smash Australia up front and then see what they have left.

I dont think so. The game is more dynamic and more risky in SR, then it's more difficult to defend. The OZ front row is very good ATM: Kepu, Holmes, Moore, Slipper and Sio are very good players and can contend to the English front row, I think the issue at the front row in OZ were guys like Benn Robinson and Ben Alexander who can't scrummage at test level. Now the problem would be the second row, especially Maro Itoje, he's one of the best locks ATM and he's so young.

The Aussies have good locks but they aren't so complete like Itoje who can do everything. They have Rob Simmons, one of the best jumper at Super Rugby but he lacks physical, he's too soft to play at test level. Then they have strong players like Lopeti Timani but he can't jump. That's the main problem ATM for them. But they have players, I think Coleman could be a great lock for the Wallabies, he needs to show their skills at test level.

I don't think we'll smash Australia up front. Wallabies showed at the RWC they are no longer mugs in a the scrum or maul and again the key will be the breakdown, which they completely bossed last time and likely to do again with the Pooper and Fardy easily bettering England's. But the Wallabies backs are superior to England's.

I do hope we take the first test and at least force a decider in Sydney.

That's a load of crap anyway.
Ford has had far worse games than this weekends while his Dad was still happily employed.

People saying that Ford has better potential than Farrell is laughable, will Farrell ever get the credit he deserves just because of his daddy? He is probably the best defensive 10 in the world, his attacking game is now right up there and very very rarely has an off day from the tee, I'm blowing his trumpet but no one seems to appreciate quite how good he is and how much better he will get, I've said it before, he will over take Johnny as the highest England points scorer of all time before the end of his career.. Right, now to find my way out of this bum hole..

Owen Farrell managed to carry on when his dad was sacked by Eddie Jones. Tells you which one is mentally the much stronger.

Ford's daddy issues are rumoured to go far beyond just their professional relationship. If the rumour is true, it would mess with your head no matter who you are.

That he walked in on his dad ****ing a physio.

Anyway... it's George's dad saying this ****, not George himself.

Latest posts