• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Australia vs England - 3 Tests - June 2016

Mike Ford needs to shut the hell up.

And if what he says is true Goerge needs to man the fek up, he is 22 FFS now (Granted roughly same age as me but still).

http://www.skysports.com/rugby-unio...recent-struggles-are-down-to-his-bath-sacking
I have to say if hes been hounded for a quote I'd be surprised if he said any less. But yeah he really should keep his mouth shut it doesn't help George in the slightest.

Rumors aside I really hope George stays away from his Dad's next move they need to separate to give him breathing room and stop the calls of nepotism.

If anything this and the Andy Farrell saga told us was to keep fathers away from professionally coaching their sons. It might not actually be a problem but it never looks good when things go wrong and decisions were made over their sons.

If it is true then Mike really needs to STFU.

But I'm still not sold on it.

Innit... lot of jumping on the train. And it makes no sense given the rumours about why George is actually annoyed with his dad.

Confidence does affect kickers of course. I don't have the stats handy, but Farrell's kicking post-WC hangover to the start of the 6N was not good (and neither was his kicking in the first match). Improved throughout the tournament and I suspect his stats for Sarries goal kicking post 6N were about 90pc, because they certainly improved a lot.

Because I want to win games first and foremost. If Jones reckons Clifford is the answer fair enough, we'll see, but I didn't see that. I'm not sure him and Vunipola in the same back row would work too well.

I think I'd go for Harrison before Clifford if we're going to put a new face in.

Same here . I'd pick a Robshaw, Harrison and Vunipola back row tbh

Same here . I'd pick a Robshaw, Harrison and Vunipola back row tbh

I tend to agree with this. No matter what people may think of Robshaw his stats speak for themselves. He is a beast, a workhorse without equal. He tackles everything that moves and really stops attacking teams dead in their tracks. I think Harrison with Billy would be a nice balance. Or could Clifford play 7 with billy 8 and Robshaw 6, with Hask on bench to steady the ship later on.

In fact I'd be interested to hear people's views on best back row and replacements as I think this may well be critical in the series

I think everyone is eager to have a crack at Haskell, as evidenced by almost everyone's opinion that Hask was the worst of the starting 3 backrow by some margin, despite the reality. I also reckon he's as hard working as Robshaw, and faster, and I suspect in Eddie's book, speed is very important, hence Hask being 7 and Robshaw being 6, as opposed to the other way round.

I think everyone is eager to have a crack at Haskell, as evidenced by almost everyone's opinion that Hask was the worst of the starting 3 backrow by some margin, despite the reality. I also reckon he's as hard working as Robshaw, and faster, and I suspect in Eddie's book, speed is very important, hence Hask being 7 and Robshaw being 6, as opposed to the other way round.

Really they are both vying for the 6 shirt. In my mind

Robshaw has the better work rate.
Haskell is better over the ball.
Robshaw reads the game better
Haskell is a better at carrying the ball
Robshaw tackles more
Haskell tackles harder
Robshaw has a low error count
Haskell has brain farts

Either way we probably only need one in the team as the experienced player

Not sure about the tackles more thing, they both make a lot. It may just be the new system, but Haskell seems to make the better defensive reads when charging out, but it may just be he's tasked with it. And Haskell is faster and I'd reckon better at securing our own ball.

Don't understand where the idea Haskell is a good carrier, at international level at least, has come from.
He averaged 6m a game in the 6N.

Last edited:
He's not in the same league as Dan Cole, but for a guy with reasonable speed and 118kg to throw about he's not as good as he should be...

I know people want to see a change - I do - but its up to the kids to force the old farts out. I'd worry about both of Harrison and Clifford after their first start. I'm worrying about Haskshaw against Pooper, but changing it doesn't change those worries, merely adds new ones.

I think I'll give it the first test and see how things look with Harrison on the bench.

edit: Haskell, like Cole and Hartley, normally carry by going in high and trying to win the collision. Since they're normally carrying against fringe defences with two guys there, its not surprising it rarely works that well. Robshaw is currently, imo, the better carrier.

Last edited:

Latest posts