• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

A Political Thread pt. 2

Can't see it stopping England rugby and cricket being heavily reliant on the private school system either. Or being reliant on super rich individuals owning clubs.

My state school stop playing rugby years ago. Which was more to do with parents welfare concerns and lack of money than anything else.

Can't see it stopping England rugby and cricket being heavily reliant on the private school system either. Or being reliant on super rich individuals owning clubs.

My state school stop playing rugby years ago. Which was more to do with parents welfare concerns and lack of money than anything else.
Its been interesting watching Cricket pathways through my niece in the past 12 months. She's very young but pretty accomplished. Just for context (and uncle bragging) she played an U16 MCC game the other day at age 12 took 3-15 (and there was a run out) and was 11 not out batting 10. She's being 'scouted' but didn't quite make it on the Somerset pathway last year. My sister said at the pathways sessions it was quite obvious all the private schools promoted anyone who might be vaguely interested but they had no discipline, kit or even understood what was going on. Kids from state schools were far less is number but you could tell they properly loved the game and had been sent there by teachers/clubs because they might actually have something about them.

You're probably right but England do seem to have done better over the years with regards to making the game a bit more inclusive. Obviously they're still reliant but maybe not as much as they used to be.

I don't see this private school policy having much impact on anything though to be fair. Other than households who earn over qtr million a year having a little bit less to play with each month.

Its been interesting watching Cricket pathways through my niece in the past 12 months. She's very young but pretty accomplished. Just for context (and uncle bragging) she played an U16 MCC game the other day at age 12 took 3-15 (and there was a run out) and was 11 not out batting 10. She's being 'scouted' but didn't quite make it on the Somerset pathway last year. My sister said at the pathways sessions it was quite obvious all the private schools promoted anyone who might be vaguely interested but they had no discipline, kit or even understood what was going on. Kids from state schools were far less is number but you could tell they properly loved the game and had been sent there by teachers/clubs because they might actually have something about them.
That's amazing. Good on her. An opportunity for me to brag about my 8 year old son now. He's soooo close to getting offered a contract for a premier league football academy but he's not quite there. Got one last chance to get a contract in a special trial they're offering the kids they like the best out of the shadow squad. So proud of him, even if it's means he's the first one in my family to not play rugby.

Although, if he doesn't make it into the academy, I'm dropping him off down the rugby club whether he likes it or not.

You knew it was coming the Tories wheeling out Kemi Badedoch to do transphobic dog whistling. What a great day to be alive.
Impressed that she kept it to a dog whistle; didn't think she had the subtlety

When i played county rugby it was very much what car your parents drove and who they knew.

Luckily i played for a local club that was demolishing other clubs on a regular basis and they couldn't ignore the kids who went to state school. My then school had a welsh head who loved rugby and if you played for a club or team in the town. You wore your club tie instead of school tie etc.

Pretty sad to hear they stopped playing rugby. When once uoon a time the school went all in on sport. Which is why i don't get overly mad at private schools because state schools and rugby is pretty slim. You are then reliant on good local clubs and tbh a few of those are struggling.

When i played county rugby it was very much what car your parents drove and who they knew.

Luckily i played for a local club that was demolishing other clubs on a regular basis and they couldn't ignore the kids who went to state school. My then school had a welsh head who loved rugby and if you played for a club or team in the town. You wore your club tie instead of school tie etc.

Pretty sad to hear they stopped playing rugby. When once uoon a time the school went all in on sport. Which is why i don't get overly mad at private schools because state schools and rugby is pretty slim. You are then reliant on good local clubs and tbh a few of those are struggling.
I think sport, especially at the younger age, is suffering in general.

I grew up in Wales and England and went to 5 different primary schools and all of them had football or rugby sides (touch rugby for primary obviously) but now my little boys school doesn't even have a football team let alone a rugby team.

There was one secondary school I went to in England that had a rugby team and I think that was only because the PE guy knew I was Welsh and playing for Bath colts so he thought, **** let's start a rugby team. lol. We were ****.

Yeah, it's tough to blame a school system that actually plays sports for producing better sportsmen than the system that largely sold off their sports fields.
Especially when you consider the scholarships that most private schools will offer to state school pupils who are good at sports.

Of course, I'm still opposed to private schools on principle, but not for filling a gap that state schools largely abandoned - I'm busy being upset about WHY the state schools largely abandoned sports.

So it seems one of the key people involved in the post office scandal has run away to Australia and refuses to cooperate or accept any responsibility.

She could well be one who deserves to go to prison.

So it seems one of the key people involved in the post office scandal has run away to Australia and refuses to cooperate or accept any responsibility.

She could well be one who deserves to go to prison.
Makes you wonder why the BBC wasn't chasing people down the street while or this was going, or sitting the heads of the energy companies down and asking why profits are so high but consumers are paying more or why water companies have become such a joke?

All these things have been and are been challenged by smaller organisations, individuals or little media outlets. Im not one to bash the BBC but they need to start stepping up on these things.

Makes you wonder why the BBC wasn't chasing people down the street while or this was going, or sitting the heads of the energy companies down and asking why profits are so high but consumers are paying more or why water companies have become such a joke?

All these things have been and are been challenged by smaller organisations, individuals or little media outlets. Im not one to bash the BBC but they need to start stepping up on these things.
You listen to how they've been treating Farage and Banedoch yesterday I get the feeling they aren't fearing for their lives anymore.

You listen to how they've been treating Farage and Banedoch yesterday I get the feeling they aren't fearing for their lives anymore.
They have always been ok at tackling politicians but they really shy away from the 3 examples I made (in regards the Post Office it feels like they are just on the bandwagon) when it comes to really challenging the heads of these organisations.

I just wish it didn't leave to more headlines about the guy. I want him to die in obscurity.

Latest posts