• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

A Political Thread pt. 2

Its also a state case not a federal one so he can't pardon himself. Which is really interesting. In theory he could be the first sitting president to stand trial.

Was reading the result might swing 4% of his base, possibly 16% of swing voters.

Commentators saying people still more likely to vote based on immigration, the economy etc. Bidens approval ratings still really poor. Still a realistic chance Trump will win.

As for the Supreme court as far as I'm aware they are life time positions. Dependant on the President if they get lucky they fill a position pro to there values/party. Certainly should not be political but it is. Hence why a split between liberal and Conservative judges.

The interesting thing is a not insignificant number of Trump voters had said they would not vote for him if he got any sort of criminal conviction.
Lots of people say lots of things that they hand-wave away when it comes down to it.

Hopefully, there's enough who at least choose not to vote, or vote 3rd party or write-in instead. I don't have that confidence though.

Hilarious.

Iain Dale left his LBC job to try and get elected for the Conservatives.

Lots of people say lots of things that they hand-wave away when it comes down to it.

Hopefully, there's enough who at least choose not to vote, or vote 3rd party or write-in instead. I don't have that confidence though.
This is why lots of polling modelling had to change post 2016. Taking into account that people in a secret ballot would vote for things they wouldn't publically admit to Brexit/Trump.

Was reading the result might swing 4% of his base, possibly 16% of swing voters.

Commentators saying people still more likely to vote based on immigration, the economy etc. Bidens approval ratings still really poor. Still a realistic chance Trump will win.

As for the Supreme court as far as I'm aware they are life time positions. Dependant on the President if they get lucky they fill a position pro to there values/party. Certainly should not be political but it is. Hence why a split between liberal and Conservative judges.
I think when you look at what has actually happened in elections, it has been vastly more in favour of Democrats than the polls will suggest.

Remember, Trump lost the popular vote to Clinton, he lost by even more to Biden. Has anything happened since losing to Biden that would really swing new voters towards Trump? If anything people have seen even more of the nasty side of him. It's a sad state of affairs that the USA has Biden, Trump and RFK Jnr as the top 3 candidates when all are awful. Democrats could have run with someone better than Biden in 2020 and this would almost certainly not even be a competition now.

Trouble is, we don't know on who's end it was all delayed.
For all we actually know, she was seriously considering retirement, or joining Corbyn in standing as independent off her own bat.

The amount of rfk signs I've seen in my blue stronghold small city is quite sad.

The Supreme Court can do all types of things with trump. Allow him to pardon himself of state convictions (makes no sense and would be a massive legal battle); prevent him from standing trial during presidency (fairly confident they would do this); just hand him the election outright.

The amount of rfk signs I've seen in my blue stronghold small city is quite sad.

The Supreme Court can do all types of things with trump. Allow him to pardon himself of state convictions (makes no sense and would be a massive legal battle); prevent him from standing trial during presidency (fairly confident they would do this); just hand him the election outright.
This is the huge issue with a politically appointed judiciary. I don't know if it's been this politically partisan in the past, but right now the supreme court is pretty much another arm of the Republican party. In fairness, they haven't rubber stamped everything, but they I reckon if push came to shove, they would toe the line.

Honestly, if it goes any further then impartiality is going to be thrown out the window and you'll get Democrat and Republican judges consistently contradicting and overturning each others decisions.

Trouble is, we don't know on who's end it was all delayed.
For all we actually know, she was seriously considering retirement, or joining Corbyn in standing as independent off her own bat.
Listening to the newsagents from yesterday it sounds like it was all set up she'd have the whip restored and she'd stand down gracefully. Then the election got called and someone in Starmers office briefed the press and broke down the entire trust. It's extremely likely that person was acting on their own accord rather than was told to do so.

Listening to the newsagents from yesterday it sounds like it was all set up she'd have the whip restored and she'd stand down gracefully. Then the election got called and someone in Starmers office briefed the press and broke down the entire trust. It's extremely likely that person was acting on their own accord rather than was told to do so.
I'd say watch for someone quietly being fired, but more likely they'll be moved where they can't do damage until after the election. If that's how it went down, because it's a monumental **** up if you didn't check with your boss first.

This is the huge issue with a politically appointed judiciary. I don't know if it's been this politically partisan in the past, but right now the supreme court is pretty much another arm of the Republican party. In fairness, they haven't rubber stamped everything, but they I reckon if push came to shove, they would toe the line.

Honestly, if it goes any further then impartiality is going to be thrown out the window and you'll get Democrat and Republican judges consistently contradicting and overturning each others decisions.
I think it's 48 out of 50 states that have elected judiciaries so most of America has figured it'll out haha. Still partisan but they have terms.

My main concern is that the republican machine has had four years to work on legal theories to overturn an election. At this point I'm sure every lawsuit and imagined motion is ready to go.

I think it's 48 out of 50 states that have elected judiciaries so most of America has figured it'll out haha. Still partisan but they have terms.

My main concern is that the republican machine has had four years to work on legal theories to overturn an election. At this point I'm sure every lawsuit and imagined motion is ready to go.
Problem is, if even one of them ends up in the supreme court it gives them an opportunity to overturn it. Further, there are certainly some who would be ready to storm the Capitol again or use arms. This election could well be the most volatile in American History. Hell, even during the vote I can see people being stopped from voting.

I'd say watch for someone quietly being fired, but more likely they'll be moved where they can't do damage until after the election. If that's how it went down, because it's a monumental **** up if you didn't check with your boss first.
They suggested that as well.

Problem is, if even one of them ends up in the supreme court it gives them an opportunity to overturn it. Further, there are certainly some who would be ready to storm the Capitol again or use arms. This election could well be the most volatile in American History. Hell, even during the vote I can see people being stopped from voting.
I'll be voting early or by mail and then ******* off.

But last time showed up the window of violence is a couple months. Gonna be tense.

Latest posts