• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

A Political Thread pt. 2

Fingers crossed, but I'm not holding my breath
Sky Middle East correspondent Alistair Bunkall says he has been told the deal has not been made "with the cooperation of Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu".

"Sources close to Mr Netanyahu" have told him they do not "wholly recognise or agree with" the proposal outlined by Mr Biden on Friday.

This is interesting. Ideally they'd just lock him up now and get a braver leader in and hope that the same can be done in the other side but yeah, not holding my breath.

New poll

CON ..... 23.3% ........ 66
LAB ....... 44.7% ..... 485
LIB ........... 9.2% ........ 59
Ref ........ 11.8% .......... 0
Grn ......... 5.8% .......... 2
SNP ........ 3.3% ........ 17
Plaid ....... 0.7% .......... 3

Shows, once again, how ridiculous FPTP electoral system is. Much as I hate them, if Reform have roughly 12% of the votes, they should have roughly 12% of the seats.
Equally, the Lib Dems, based on this poll, would go from 11.8% vote share to 9.2%, whilst going from 8 seats to 59.

Last edited:
Unfortunately I still don't think proportional works with electing an MP for a constituency. I would change the commons elections to transferable vote system, which would allow more people to vote for their first choice and reform house of lords so that it is elected proportionally

Unfortunately I still don't think proportional works with electing an MP for a constituency. I would change the commons elections to transferable vote system, which would allow more people to vote for their first choice and reform house of lords so that it is elected proportionally
This is what I want to see. The claim the Lords contains non-political experts is nonsense when you look at how both parties stacked it with political cronies. Single Transferable Vote for the Commons and PR for the Lords. I'd also say split the Lords into 2 groups with each group getting a 10 year term but staggered every 5 years.

Also election day should be a bank holiday.

Depends on the version of PR, and how "pure" the PR bit is.

Personally, I think I'm in favour of an adaptation of the Kiwi system.
If I've got this right:

You have X seats for a region, of which half are constituency MPs that are elected with FPtP as per normal. The other half are then filled up from the best performing losers in such a way that total X is fully proportional (andnot just flown in by the party's preference).
A party only gets into the PR portion if they ran candidates in every consituency within the region (so SNP do for Scotland, PC do for Wales, Count Binface doesn't for wherever he stands).
Sensible to add transferable vote in there as well, which would boost the representational value of the PR portion.

To take a fictional region in England, and let's call it... Central.
Central has 60 seats in Westminster, split into 30 constituencies.
Those constituencies get their seats filled by FPTP, winner takes all.

Which may end up as Con 3, Lab 24, Lib 3, Reform 0, Green 0
But with a vote split of Con 23.3%, Lab 44.7%, Lib 9.2%, Reform 11.8%, Green 5.8%, Other 5.2% (this "Other" really doesn't help the maths)

The losing candidates for each party in Central, are arranged in order of vote share locally
The 12 best performing, losing Conservatives candidates, get a PR seat for 25.0% regional representation
The 4 best performing, losing Labour candidates, get a PR seat for 46.7% regional representation
The 3 best performing, losing Lib Dem candidates, get a PR seat for 10.0% regional representation
The 7 best performing, losing Reform candidates, get a PR seat for 11.7% regional representation
The 4 best performing, losing Green candidates, get a PR seat for 6.7% regional representation

Each constituency gets the most popular local MP
Each region get represented proportionately, with the MP based on the vote share of each candidate.

Personally, of courses, I'm in favour of devolved power (about the same as Scotland's) to the 9 English regions anyway (and bringing Wales and NI up to the same power-level), with elections as above, and then PR representation from each regional parliament to Westminster for national issues. But that's me.

Last edited:
Which Tyler's system is good. Larger constituencies with 4-5seats based on PR would also be good.

I prefer a contieutcy based lower house(voting method TBD) with a fully PR upper house.

At the moment Id take anything but FPTP with photo ID.

New poll

CON ..... 23.3% ........ 66
LAB ....... 44.7% ..... 485
LIB ........... 9.2% ........ 59
Ref ........ 11.8% .......... 0
Grn ......... 5.8% .......... 2
SNP ........ 3.3% ........ 17
Plaid ....... 0.7% .......... 3

Shows, once again, how ridiculous FPTP electoral system is. Much as I hate them, if Reform have roughly 12% of the votes, they should have roughly 12% of the seats.
Equally, the Lib Dems, based on this poll, would go from 11.8% vote share to 9.2%, whilst going from 8 seats to 59.
And another

CON ..... 23.0% ..... 124
LAB ....... 45.2% ..... 417
LIB ........... 9.3% ........ 64
Ref ........ 11.5% .......... 0
Grn ......... 5.6% ........... 1
SNP ......... -.-% ........ 22
Plaid ........ -.-% .......... 3

Wow so with 1% more of the vote Labour lose 70 seats. Tbh though they really just show a range.

Which is the biggest problem with ditching FPTP the two main parties benefit so much from it.

I must admit, as someone who is ideologically opposed to private schools, I have enjoyed reading stories in the daily mail and stuff from crying upper middle class parents about how they're going to afford to keep sending little Jonny to private school on their £200k pa salary.

I must admit, as someone who is ideologically opposed to private schools, I have enjoyed reading stories in the daily mail and stuff from crying upper middle class parents about how they're going to afford to keep sending little Jonny to private school on their £200k pa salary.
It really is smallest violin stuff. I'm actually amazed anyone.

Who are they actually being priced out by? Super rich foreigners who want tonsend thier kids to English boarding schools which has led to price gouging as they've prices exponentially because those new customers can afford it.

From what I can tell despite the screaming it's not a vote winner at all.

You knew it was coming the Tories wheeling out Kemi Badedoch to do transphobic dog whistling. What a great day to be alive.

The Tories told us that the Brexit referendum result was a mandate to end free movement and generally tighten controls on immigration / reduce net migration. Yet rich foreigners can still buy their way in (or their kids) to private schools and universities. I wonder where the mandate is for that.

Latest posts