• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Roundabouts and other driving pet peeves

Gutting for the parents. So she gets to drive again? Or just declare her condition to DVLA. No mention of this.
Neither epilepsy, nor other types of seizure / blackout are new. There are laws and protocols around this.
How long her license is re!oved for will depend on the diagnosis, treatment regime, her response to treatment etc.
IIRC the minimum is about a year without an seizure (less for a blackout as they're less likely to reccur) before you can get the license back.

Remember folks, having a medical condition isn't illegal. It can be tragic, but it's not illegal.

She should certainly never drive again. So sad for the parents though. Can't imagine what they are going through.

I think what some people don't believe is that she had an epileptic incident for the first time with no prior history or symptoms at all and she ended up killing two girls. It seems too convenient. However, as long as it's been confirmed by independent doctors then you can't argue against it.

In case she has another seizure whilst driving. But that's up to the DVLA. No doubt she will have PTSD after knowing what she has done as well, so she may choose not to drive again.
What are the risks of that? Are you a neurologist / her specific neurologist? Do you think that ll people who have ever had a seizure, or a blackout should have lifetime bans from driving? Or is it just this lady because this incident had a tragic outcome?
Kinda up to the DVLA, but it'll be her neurologist that makes the actual decision, based on guidelines laid down by the DVLA (and written by neurologists).
No doubt, and she may very well choose not to drive again; but that decision shouldn't be based on random people on the internet having an uninformed opinion.

What are the risks of that? Are you a neurologist / her specific neurologist? Do you think that ll people who have ever had a seizure, or a blackout should have lifetime bans from driving? Or is it just this lady because this incident had a tragic outcome?
Kinda up to the DVLA, but it'll be her neurologist that makes the actual decision, based on guidelines laid down by the DVLA (and written by neurologists).
No doubt, and she may very well choose not to drive again; but that decision shouldn't be based on random people on the internet having an uninformed opinion.
If you took all the random uniformed people off the Internet. This forum would be all that remains.

No I am not and neither are you. Just one small chance of an epileptic seizure and she just happened to crash through a school killing two kids - who had their whole lives in front of them. And end of the day nothing can be done. Just feel for the parents really. Nothing is going to bring those two back.

Yes it was tragic consequences, but there's a lack Of compassion here - like yeh **** happens, just get on with it- at least it wasn't my kids because there's nothing legally that can be done in this situation.

No I am not and neither are you. Just one small chance of an epileptic seizure and she just happened to crash through a school killing two kids - who had their whole lives in front of them. And end of the day nothing can be done. Just feel for the parents really. Nothing is going to bring those two back.

Yes it was tragic consequences, but there's a lack Of compassion here - like yeh **** happens, just get on with it- at least it wasn't my kids because there's nothing legally that can be done in this situation.
Correct, I'm not. I'm not the one calling for punishment of an innocent, however.
Nor am I claiming that my opinion holds more weight than a whole bunch of experts in the subject, and several decades of incidents. I have, however, seen enough of exactly that through Covid to call it out when I see it.
Now, do precedures need a look at, and potential overhaul? I've no idea, I'm not qualified to comment on that - and nor are you. I do know though, that an uninformed knee-jerk reaction to a tragedy does not make good policy.

Where's the lack of compassion? I've not made any comment on the victims, compassion for them and their entire family goes without saying.

Latest posts