• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

A Political Thread pt. 2

How about making Sunak respond if that's what you ask him to do, not redirect it back to Starmer?

What kind of question is that to end on?

Starmer answered it like someone who watched football at least.
I feel Stamer ended better.

But fuk me that was a terrible debate.

Also is it me but surely GB energy is a massive bold move??

Don't think that debate will have changed much. Neither of them look like great leaders and that's shown by their personal ratings. Sunak's message of trust us won't resonate, but I don't think Starmer will have won over large amounts of undecided voters either.

Don't think that debate will have changed much. Neither of them look like great leaders and that's shown by their personal ratings. Sunak's message of trust us won't resonate, but I don't think Starmer will have won over large amounts of undecided voters either.
Agreed polls have basically shown everyone's made their mind up its just trying to work out how many of the dont knows turn up and where that will be distributed.

It looked to me like Sunak had a plan to face down Starmer - constantly look him in the eye and challenge him which perhaps wasn't surprising given how far behind he was in the polls. Starmer looked like he was in the last round of a boxing match already well ahead on points and just trying to get through to the final bell without taking any big risks.

I thought Starmer looked quite flustered at times tbh but the moderator was truly awful and contributed to that by letting Sunak speak too much including his constant interrupting and talking over Starmer who it looked like was expecting a more civilised debate. I would expect Starmer to be better in the next one and his team will surely have a word with the next moderator to make sure the same doesn't happen again. The problem is there are no consequences when one participant doesn't do as they're told and repeat offends which is why Sunak got away with it.

Last edited:
It looked to me like Sunak had a plan to face down Starmer - constantly look him in the eye and challenge him which perhaps wasn't surprising given how far behind he was in the polls. Starmer looked like he was in the last round of a boxing match already well ahead on points and just trying to get through to the final bell without taking any big risks.

I thought Starmer looked quite flustered at times tbh but the moderator was truly awful and contributed to that by letting Sunak speak too much including his constant interrupting and talking over Starmer who it looked like was expecting a more civilised debate. I would expect Starmer to be better in the next one and his team will surely have a word with the next moderator to make sure the same doesn't happen again. The problem is there are no consequences when one participant doesn't do as they're told and repeat offends which is why Sunak got away with it.
Honestly I think most people made their minds up on the winner of the debate in the opening exchanges. I think the 2k per household cut through (although unsurprsingly it ********). Which is why were seeing a rough 51 to 49 Sunak as I felt after that exchange Starmer was much better.

I think Starmer was right as the debate went on to just keep his mouth shut when Sunak spoke over him even when he was trying to answer. Made Sunak look stupid by not letting him answer.

Although I find it hilarious the rags are saying its a knockout by Sunak.

Honestly I think most people made their minds up on the winner of the debate in the opening exchanges. I think the 2k per household cut through (although unsurprsingly it ********). Which is why were seeing a rough 51 to 49 Sunak as I felt after that exchange Starmer was much better.

I think Starmer was right as the debate went on to just keep his mouth shut when Sunak spoke over him even when he was trying to answer. Made Sunak look stupid by not letting him answer.

Although I find it hilarious the rags are saying its a knockout by Sunak.

I heard one commentator say Sunak's constant interrupting and over talking would have made him even less likeable as the debate wore on. Those are two of my pet hates - even in situations like last night when air time is precious and it tends to happen more amongst politicians.

If I were Starmer I'd let the fact checkers do their work and call out Sunak on it at the next debate but stay calm and measured. Looks like the spotlight is already on the £2k tax claim made by Sunak. Good to hear Ashworth liken Sunak to BoJo this morning on the airwaves.

Last edited:
If I were Starmer I'd let the fact checkers do their work and call out Sunak on it at the next debate but stay calm and measured. Looks like the spotlight is already on the £2k tax claim made by Sunak. Good to hear Ashworth liken Sunak to BoJo this morning on the airwaves.
Yup I'm unsure how much fact checkers work but its good its falling apart and being reported as such by news broadcasters already.

Starmer did try to make the point too late in the debate.

Debate went much as expected by the sound of things. Sunak seems to have decided that bully boy tactics are the way forwards and genuinely wouldn't be surprised if he tries to make some saville dig, stunt as how other regard he has for facts.

I also find it funny when he says you don't know what you are getting with Labour but you know you are getting with him, then proceeded to describe the exact opposite of what his team record actually is.

Both parties are going to either raise taxes or cut spending to make any improvements during the next term. Then they are going to have to prioritise where they make the spending/investment. At the detriment elsewhere.

Nobody dare mention it or say the word Brexit. Good politics maybe, ignoring the truth certainly.

Neither sides accurately shown where the money is coming from yet. Nobody says the will increase taxes, yet they don't have a magic money tree. Role on the manifesto releases.

Last edited:

Latest posts