• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

A Political Thread pt. 2

I'm finding this whole thing a bit overblown. I'm curious, all the Tory politicians involved in hosting on the likes of GBN and LBC, have they ever interviewed fellow MPs? I feel like they must have at some point.
Depends if the Tory MP's were also interviewing there husband, wife or partner i guess. If they're unbiased and impartial i can't see the issue. I can see how others might think it's not possible.

Then again GMB don't exactly go in for asking difficult or probing questions that are likely to get Balls in the dog house when he gets home.

Personally i think he was a tad condescending with Sultana but still think it's all a storm in a tea cup.

Depends if the Tory MP's were also interviewing there husband, wife or partner i guess. If they're unbiased and impartial i can't see the issue. I can see how others might think it's not possible.

Then again GMB don't exactly go in for asking difficult or probing questions that are likely to get Balls in the dog house when he gets home.

Personally i think he was a tad condescending with Sultana but still think it's all a storm in a tea cup.
Well one major difference is that Ed Balls isn't an MP and hasn't been one for some time.

But I agree GMB hardly dresses itself up as a news program and they gave time to the Shadown Home Secretary. Whom on this matter I'm guessing was largely supportive of the government.

This said I'd remove Balls from interviewing politicians anyway whilst his wife is a member of governement.

Balls interviewing his wife was a ludicrous editorial decision. GMB may not be a hard hitting news programme but it still regularly interviews politicians and has a decent audience. It will hard enough for Balls to be impartial regardless, but interviewing your wife?

Mind you, Cooper showed a remarkable lack of judgement too - she should have declined to be interviewed by him.

Perceptions of conflicts of interest are as damaging as actual conflicts.

Did he ask decent questions that others would have asked?

Did he get decent answers to the questions he asked?

If answer to both of the above is "yes", then what's the problem?

Did he ask decent questions that others would have asked?

Did he get decent answers to the questions he asked?

If answer to both of the above is "yes", then what's the problem?

If you'd have been happy ahead of an Eng v Ire game to see Wayne Barnes reffing we'll leave it at that. There's a reason for going the neutrality route and I'd say that's pretty important when holding elected politicians to account on national TV.

Never watched GB news but if you had Tory MPs interviewing each other, that's just nuts too.

It was a bad call IMO. If Balls wipes the floor with a Tory or Reform politician (like he did with Farage when quizzing him on the economic aspects of his manifesto) in the future then he's leaving himself wide open to being accused of being biased and inconsistent. Some may even accuse him directly on air. Some opposition MPs may even have a dig at Cooper when she's answering questions in the HoC.

I suspect he and Cooper wanted their Richard and Judy moment on TV but it was a bad call IMO. They'd have been better off going on Celebrity Pointless after she leaves office.

Hopefully last night was a turning point with the riots that were feared.

I wonder if the lengthy prison sentences and mugshots of those sent down being plastered all over the media did the trick. The anti racism demonstrators demonstrated how to demonstrate against racism. No need for violence. Just shows what a bunch of mindless thugs the far right are.

I also saw a bit of Farage's youtube update where he was trying to distance himself from the riots and was also having a moan about needing extra security. He really is the worst of the worst. He knows full well what the consequences of his words could be and yet he doesn't have the balls to own his part in it all and tries to play the victim.

Not a good look
Definitely. It's disappointing that already they seem to be trying to influence civil servants with people who support them.

I did find it laughable though that the Tory MP felt he could criticise it though.

Definitely. It's disappointing that already they seem to be trying to influence civil servants with people who support them.

I did find it laughable though that the Tory MP felt he could criticise it though.
Whilst the hypocrisy is laughable, ultimately someone needs to point out the appearance of impropriety.

It's kind of his job.

Now Labour are in power and in the spotlight, guess what, we're going to find out they're pretty fallible too. Just hope for all of us they don't plumb the same depths as the latter years of the Tories.

If you'd have been happy ahead of an Eng v Ire game to see Wayne Barnes reffing we'll leave it at that.

Ah, but this is people complaining about Wayne Barnes after the game even if he called it straight down the middle.

That's a pretty crucial difference.

Not a good look

Dunno.

Who did the appointing?

If it were entirely other civil servants who knew nothing of the donations, is that not fair game?

Or is the problem not just direction from above on who to hire, but on what the hired may do in the job that is impartial?

Latest posts