• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

A Political Thread pt. 2

Money for the pension triple lock (costing £11 Billion), no money for taking children out of poverty (costing £3.5 Billion).
Hopefully they'll look at it around Autumn. The longer they leave it the more families struggle and kids go hungry.

I think its fair to say considering the campaign Labour want to rollback on this one. But as they've unequivocally said not right now its gonna 2-3 years down the line. Possibly even 5 remove it right the next GE.

Those 7 names are always going to be serial whip breakers might as well instill some discipline now.
I also suspect he wants to introduce it as part of a package for social care and benefits, rather than a one-off policy that might make the joined-up thinking more awkward

I also suspect he wants to introduce it as part of a package for social care and benefits, rather than a one-off policy that might make the joined-up thinking more awkward
Also very likely he's been very strong on strategy rather than one off gimmicks.

Listening to first PMQs nothing too exciting.

Don't understand why the LibDem for Edinburgh West went after private school VAT increases....

Yup. We'll see how pro Ukraine he is if he wins in November. He's the most pro Putin President since Bush jnr and has praised him publicly several times.
i saw a poll done at a trump rally...ie trump fanatic/voters.....and a scary % said they would rather Putin was president than Biden....more than 50%

the old fucker should have had a succession plan from day negative -60 but this speech has me moved. Can't say I would have been 100% step in step with him but I don't know I'd say that about any politician. He still gave 55 years of service and he stepped up when the country needed him. Just a great servant.

Does s/he have children at private school?
I think she was trying to ask about the Implications on state schools in her constituency, and that any money raised on Scottish private schools went back into Scottish education. Based on the clip she put up.

I think she was trying to ask about the Implications on state schools in her constituency, and that any money raised on Scottish private schools went back into Scottish education. Based on the clip she put up.
That was the question but a weird one anytime it's asked it rarely seams to come from a voice actually seemingly worried about state schools.

But apart from press scaremongering the impact is likely to be little of not at all.

Thoss people are assuming that the VAT increase will just go on top of fees at thier current rate. Reality is many have jacked up rates in recent years so the majority will take most of the hit by reducing fees. Or the parents can afford them.

There will be some who miss out but it isn't going to be massive influx of kids on a single school.

I just assumed she asked the question on behalf of constituents who probably raised concerns about schools during the election campaign. She probably wanted to show them she was listening and was keeping a promise that she would raise it in the HoC.

I just assumed she asked the question on behalf of constituents who probably raised concerns about schools during the election campaign. She probably wanted to show them she was listening and was keeping a promise that she would raise it in the HoC.
And I'm sure her constituents are asking many other questions too. Part of being an MP is giving voices to those need it especially marginalised voices who maybe aren't as vocal.

I think its an incredibly ill-advised one the Lib-Dems want to be seen as social care advocates (as Ed Davey did with his question) to be seen to be asking questions on that subject matter.

And I'm sure her constituents are asking many other questions too. Part of being an MP is giving voices to those need it especially marginalised voices who maybe aren't as vocal.

I think its an incredibly ill-advised one the Lib-Dems want to be seen as social care advocates (as Ed Davey did with his question) to be seen to be asking questions on that subject matter.

Like I said I was assuming because I wasn't the one knocking on people's doors in Edinburgh west and didn't hear first hand what the key recurring themes were.

It could have been an odd question choice. It could have been a key recurring theme or maybe something else she wanted to cover had already been asked by someone who spoke before her and she didn't want to duplicate . Think I'll keep an open mind on that.

Like I said I was assuming because I wasn't the one knocking on people's doors in Edinburgh west and didn't hear first hand what the key recurring themes were.

It could have been an odd question choice. It could have been a key recurring theme or maybe something else she wanted to cover had already been asked by someone who spoke before her and she didn't want to duplicate . Think I'll keep an open mind on that.
According to The Herald 25-30% of Edinburgh School children are privately educated. How that would translate into children switching to state schools i don't know.

Across Scotland they estimate a 1000 pupils switching. So not a massive amount. Based on 25-30% how that anount specifically impacts Edinburgh I've no idea.

The candidates the Tories are putting forward at the moment imply they have not learned why they lost. We'll see how it develops but it seems they are going off chasing the reform voters

I don't argue it was the right decision, I'm saying I don't think trump did it because he wanted to. The immersion I have is trump wants to throw Ukraine under the bus and this time he will.
Well let's wait and see. I have to admit my prejudice here as the only concern I have in the US elections is how it will effect Ukraine and I haven't been convinced by Bidens term and don't see anything different from Harris where as Trump will either throw Ukraine under the bus or his ego will push him to beat Putin.

Well let's wait and see. I have to admit my prejudice here as the only concern I have in the US elections is how it will effect Ukraine and I haven't been convinced by Bidens term and don't see anything different from Harris where as Trump will either throw Ukraine under the bus or his ego will push him to beat Putin.
He said he will sort it out with one phone call so I'm going with throwing them under the bus.

The candidates the Tories are putting forward at the moment imply they have not learned why they lost. We'll see how it develops but it seems they are going off chasing the reform voters
quite a range so far Tugendhat(center-right), Cleverley(right) and Jenrick (super-right)

althought I think all three have taken the pledge to remove workers rights for big business.....oh sorry oppose migration by taking us out the ECHR.

Tbh, Europe's long term plan has to be to develop it's own security. It's clear being dependent on foreign powers is becoming more dangerous and that includes America. Trump has already made it clear what he thinks of NATO and relying on him to come to Europe's aid would be fool hardy. It's depressing that 10-20 years ago you felt like Europe didn't need a standing army. Now it definitely does.

Tbh, Europe's long term plan has to be to develop it's own security. It's clear being dependent on foreign powers is becoming more dangerous and that includes America. Trump has already made it clear what he thinks of NATO and relying on him to come to Europe's aid would be fool hardy. It's depressing that 10-20 years ago you felt like Europe didn't need a standing army. Now it definitely does.
Europe always needed a standing army, better to have an army you don't use then to not have one when you need it.

The Ukraine conflict had shown just how unready most of the west is for any sort of prolonged military conflict.

He said he will sort it out with one phone call so I'm going with throwing them under the bus.

That and him publicly calling Putin smart, savvy and a genius not to mention dismissing calls to press Putin on Russian interference in American elections. I suspect it's going to be a very big bus.

Latest posts