• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

A Political Thread pt. 2

Honestly, these articles infuriate me. Not one single sentence on the fact the airlines, holiday companies etc...are allowed to put prices up to extortionate amounts during holidays. Instead, let's frame it as parents vs schools.

Honestly, these articles infuriate me. Not one single sentence on the fact the airlines, holiday companies etc...are allowed to put prices up to extortionate amounts during holidays. Instead, let's frame it as parents vs schools.

Sorry, but see this a bit differently.

That's market forces - supply and demand etc. Companies are in business to make money and those that are summer sun based only have a limited fairly window of opportunity to make the real money that keep people in jobs etc.

Does missing a week matter in the overall context of education? Of course it doesn't, but there are rules in all kinds of walks of life that people don't like but have to obey.

TBH the mother's argument is weak and smacks of self entitlement.

Of course primary age children simply *must* experience Egypt. Nope, they won't care as long as they're having fun and there's plenty for them to do.

I know I've deliberately broken the rules but I don't see why I should be punished is nonsense. Nope, break the rules and take the consequences.

And yes, some kids who've missed school will become lawyers. But I'd wager that more will grow up following their parents lead in just doing what suits them because they want to….this attitude for many will spill over into other walks of life. And there are plenty of self entitled lawyers….its about values, not achievement.

TBH I suspect this is more about what the parents wanted and finding a way to make it happen.

These people are scum. Very telling how quickly they just resort to insults.

Last edited:

These people are scum. Very telling how quickly they just resort to insults.

I've got no sympathy for the people of Clacton who voted for him. It was pretty obvious to anyone with half a brain how much of a disingenuous self serving snake oil salesman he really is. Oh well, at least they'll have the chance to vote him out in 5 years time after he (along with Truss and BoJo) have lined their pockets from being one of Trump's paid cheerleaders instead of serving his constituents.

I've got no sympathy for the people of Clacton who voted for him. It was pretty obvious to anyone with half a brain how much of a disingenuous self serving snake oil salesman he really is. Oh well, at least they'll have the chance to vote him out in 5 years time after he (along with Truss and BoJo) have lined their pockets from being one of Trump's paid cheerleaders instead of serving his constituents.
Unfortunately I wouldn't put it past those stupid ******** to vote him in again. Brexit and Trump have shown the sheer extent to which the far right will accept any bullshit as long as the cult leader continues spouting the hateful rhetoric they long to say. The saving grace is that the far right in this country are much less entrenched and smaller in number, in the USA they are full on cultists and that country is barrelling towards a disaster.

I had hoped I would live in times that future generations would not study in history, not to be it seems.

When you look at the location Reform gained MP's they are some of the most deprived in the UK. Clacton, Boston, Yarmouth are really poor. One thing they have is a lot of people without hope. Two main parties that they feel don't care or listen to them.

Yes I'm sure some people are thick gammons. Yet the majority are what would have been Labour territory. Working class to the core. Who i think probably feel spectacularly failed by the big two parties. They are then further demonised by people so then push back. Listening to the snake oil seller saying "look they think your scum, they don't care, it's ok i care and I'll hear you". Very similar to how Trump and co have worked the South and Rust Belt.

When you look at the location Reform gained MP's they are some of the most deprived in the UK. Clacton, Boston, Yarmouth are really poor. One thing they have is a lot of people without hope. Two main parties that they feel don't care or listen to them.

Yes I'm sure some people are thick gammons. Yet the majority are what would have been Labour territory. Working class to the core. Who i think probably feel spectacularly failed by the big two parties. They are then further demonised by people so then push back. Listening to the snake oil seller saying "look they think your scum, they don't care, it's ok i care and I'll hear you". Very similar to how Trump and co have worked the South and Rust Belt.
Then you have the Lib Dems, the Greens etc but no, they went instead for the extreme snake oil salesman. I bet if you ask those who voted for them, their poverty would not enter the discussion until after a rant about immigrants. Let's stop pretending anti-immigrant, racist and anti-LGBT is not right at the top of the agenda of those who voted Reform, with economic position coming in after that.

Farage is not unknown, his track record of lies and deceit are well known. These people would have known him and wilfully chosen to ignore all this. No, I cannot sympathise at all with them. They dragged the whole country into further economic mess by voting Brexit and are apparently still fully on board the Brexit train, despite it already being a wreck. Now, given the single most unpopular Tory party in about a century, they decide to triple down on their support for this batshit lunacy.

Last edited:
People who have little are easily persuaded by populism. Ashfield, Clacton, Boston have any of you actually been to those places? I lived in Ashfield for a decade and have worked in Clacton and Boston. I don't agree with who they voted for but I understand why they voted for Reform. I have been there myself and understand the draw of easy answers to complex questions.

No i don't think LBGTQ+, racism or immigration is really at the top of there agenda. Farage exploits them and makes them look for scape goats.

I don't always agree with James O'brien but i am trying to have contempt for the conman and compassion for the conned.

No i don't think LBGTQ+, racism or immigration is really at the top of there agenda. Farage exploits them and makes them look for scape goats.

I don't always agree with James O'brien but i am trying to have contempt for the conman and compassion for the conned.

Are all of them conned? I think in many cases Farage is giving them validation and providing confirmation bias. Same goes for Trump and a large chunk of his base which deep down is all about white supremacy/anti immigrants.

I do have sympathy for people who have little opportunity and hope but many people who live in these areas need to open their minds a bit and realise that the root cause wasn't foreigners or the EU. Farage has simply switched focus from the EU to the two main political parties and made them the new enemy along with the boats of course. The guy is a charlatan who preys on their hates and fears. The question these people should be asking themselves is "Why aren't things getting better post Brexit?" "Why I am not seeing any green shoots of progress?" Reform won 5 seats and 14% of the popular vote and so they should know that the vast majority of the country doesn't agree with them that Reform is the answer.

I think 'levelling up' (for want of a better phrase) is a very complex issue and isn't just specific to the UK. Local government competing fiercely for scarce resources largely thanks to Truss & co crashing the economy and forcing more austerity. The death of the high street is another factor. It doesn't help that so much money has been squandered on HS2, COVID PPE/fraud, Brexit etc. not to mention public services being run into the ground.

Latest posts