• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2019 Six Nations] France vs Wales (01/02/2019)

Yeah, fair enough. Lineouts were a shambles that's for sure. France were good at getting in the air, granted, but the amount of overthrows as well was unacceptable. Owens does tend to have the odd wobbly game, hopefully he'll be ok for the rest of the tournament now.

Totally agree, our line out was just terrible... as much of a Ken fan as I am, he does struggle throwing in (regardless of stats sometimes)... and then Elliot Dee (whom I also rate highly) comes on and makes an awful throw! Maybe Elias at hooker and Ken at 8... no srsly (maybe)?!

When the cameras went overhead, I thought both teams were scrummaging illegally by boring in. Not sure what was going on to be honest.

I'm struggling to accept that pivac taking over makes any difference to the overall feeling from our fellow countrymen and comrades

He'll be more of a class act when it comes to the media, avoiding pre/post-match barbs and will be more liked by neutrals I suspect.

Oh I don't disagree, but in games like this I do think some of the pundits, and unfortunately Welsh ones in particular, have a way of blowing it out of proportion. Lot of comments on the BBC live thread about showing the character of the team and coming back to win.
Have to say didn't like waking up this morning to Welsh praising George North and calling them 'amazing' trys. I mean I'll give him some credit for the second even if the pass was awful but the first was a complete gift and not due to any skill of his whatsoever.

Fans on here are way more realistic which is a relief.

As to the rankings I'd still argue you've not played Ireland, England or New Zealand in your run. So this tournament will tell you how much it's really worth. Also whilst England had some damn close matches in ours (and we were just as critical of England performances in those as guys on here have been) I dint think they were ever gifted a game quite like that.

But yeah when the media and fans pit it down to an amazing Welsh victory...thats why people were rooting for France.

By the time the second half started I had had one too many to follow it and catch every thing, But after 40m our front five woke up, unfortunately the same cant be said for the back row, who missed a true jackaler and any idea of togetherness, the BR is a unit not three individuals, George North MOM wow so all you need do now is score a couple of tries, it doesn't seem to matter that he came off his wing to allow the French to score, Liam Williams and Josh Adams had good games should have been one of them, Now I need a couple of paracetamol Byo_O

By the time the second half started I had had one too many to follow it and catch every thing, But after 40m our front five woke up, unfortunately the same cant be said for the back row, who missed a true jackaler and any idea of togetherness, the BR is a unit not three individuals, George North MOM wow so all you need do now is score a couple of tries, it doesn't seem to matter that he came off his wing to allow the French to score, Liam Williams and Josh Adams had good games should have been one of them, Now I need a couple of paracetamol Byo_O

The George North MOTM award was baffling, especially as both tries came from an unforced handling error and a crazy high risk pass. If Williams hadn't lost control of the ball for his almost try then he may well have been MOTM.

But yeah when the media and fans pit it down to an amazing Welsh victory...thats why people were rooting for France.

There are always idiots in every country... some of the comments from English fans (as well as Welsh) on various social media and HYS' around the web are absolutely ridiculous but it just seems the Welsh are the ones who mainly get called out for it.

As I've said earlier, it's fine... just interesting how blind to hypocrisy groups of people can be. I see the idiots from my nation as well as the idiots from everywhere else... it's quite helpful.

Well it was amazing in the actual sense of the word of surprise or astonishment. But not if people mean it was a good performance, which you get the sense some people did.

The ranking systems are purely based on wins and points. It's maths that Wales are third, not based on potential to win the next game, skill or performance. If you are up there it's because you are winning games, so that's positive and told a little last night.

The second half was good to show that Wales had a bit of metal, reorganised and changed their tactics, had a very good scrum, and got very, very lucky with two of the trys. Against a settled team in that weather, that game is probably a loss.

Having a look back at the game, my biggest surprise was the really poor organisation of the Welsh defence in the first half. Wales built the autumn on that defence, so I'm not sure whether it was the French physicality throwing them off or just rust.

Having a look back at the game, my biggest surprise was the really poor organisation of the Welsh defence in the first half. Wales built the autumn on that defence, so I'm not sure whether it was the French physicality throwing them off or just rust.
Yeah that struck me as well. Really poor, that first try was all over the place. Think Biggar made quite a difference to that, Anscombe was a bit of a liability

Yeah that struck me as well. Really poor, that first try was all over the place. Think Biggar made quite a difference to that, Anscombe was a bit of a liability

He had a difficult day at the office for sure, but then I thought all four of the halfbacks did under pressure and conditions. In terms of organisation, Parkes was out of position a few times, leaving north and JD in difficult positions out wide. We were caught short a few times and were lucky France did look to go wide, faster.

It seemed to get better second half, but then France were all over the place. Wales will be happy to not have England next.

Apparently French TV picked North for MOTM... for all those assuming it was something to do with the 'village idiots of world rugby'.

This is an example of what I mean and again I would say the same if it was England or any team.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/47103628

North says at the end "In the second half we came out and showed what we're all about". I just don't agree. Wales played better, but it was France playing badly that gave them the game. Maybe it's just for the public and behind closed doors they are more honest, but it does irritate me when people try to spin something like this (and by people I mean all teams and pundits when they do it). His comment as well that they are in a good position should only count in terms of the win and not the performance, though it is hard to tell exactly whether he is referring to the performance as well. I will also accept he does say Wales have to work on a lot of their standards. Again maybe I just expect too much and reality is that most teams would be saying the same thing.

This is an example of what I mean and again I would say the same if it was England or any team.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/47103628

North says at the end "In the second half we came out and showed what we're all about" part I just don't agree. Wales played better, but it was France playing badly that gave them the game. Maybe it's just for the public and behind closed doors they are more honest, but it does irritate me when people try to spin something like this (and by people I mean all teams and pundits when they do it). His comment as well that they are in a good position should only count in terms of the win and not the performance, though it is hard to tell exactly whether he is referring to the performance as well. I will also accept he does say Wales have to work on a lot of their standards. Again maybe I just expect too much and reality is that most teams would be saying the same thing.

So I can kinda see where your coming from on the... and I'm paraphrasing "... we came out in the second half and showed what we're about..." part but on the whole I would put this down to a guy who made a massive and costly mistake defensively during the first half (within a bigger mistake ridden team performance), who probably got roasted during an anxious half time, when all those thoughts about championships and grand slams (you know the thoughts no one is allowed to have but most people do) were basically up in smoke... then during the second half, not only does his team win (a rare W on the road to get the wagon up and running again) he scored two of the tries to help that happen.

Yes his first try was a massive gift from Huget... and yes France threw 3 outrageously stupid passes prior to George's interception but kudos to his anticipation and right hand to get it done. I'm quite surprised after the bi-polar odyssey he had just been on, he wasn't a bit more excited actually.

If your a fan of pragmatism (which is more my cup of tea too if I'm honest), Alan Wyn Jones is your man... his post-match was far more realistic in his assessment.

I'm a little concerned with our back row, they must work for each other, this wasn't apparent against France they were defending but no cohesion with them Moriarty is a better 6 than 8 and if all we have is Navidi then we are seeking a No8. This may upset many of you but Tipric is not the kind of 7 we need.
its Unfortunate Warbs has retired with Davies and Jenkins both injured, but the real problem is getting them to play as a unit.

Do you have anyone else to play 8?
I'd imagine Young will walk into the side at 7 after Tipurics showing, but he would've also been an option at 8 as moriarty looks well off the boil
Unless you rotate everyone round and have 6. Moriarty, 7. Navidi 8. Young?

yes young would be an option, I don't watch club rugby that often so wouldn't know but without Faletau we struggle at 8

Do you have anyone else to play 8?
I'd imagine Young will walk into the side at 7 after Tipurics showing, but he would've also been an option at 8 as moriarty looks well off the boil
Unless you rotate everyone round and have 6. Moriarty, 7. Navidi 8. Young?

Moriarty is definitely more of a 6 than an 8... but as you point out Wales are light in number 8's and therefore he's accrued many of his caps in that position. I personally would've gone 6. Wainwright, 7. Tips (who made 19 out of 19 tackles on Friday apparently) and 8. Navidi.

I think the Seb Davies at 8 experiment might be reinitiated against Italy... not because I think he is the future of the shirt but versatility is key for a world cup... and when Wales have played teams some deem of a lesser quality over the last couple of seasons Seb has gained a couple of starts there. Which, for me would be a chance to try something new with Wainwright at 6 and Young at 7.

Then that would probably change all three for the England game a fortnight after.

yes all the BR tackled well, but they played as individuals the BR is a unit and at most if not all breakdowns there should be at least two of them there, to change the BR completely would give us the same issues, a BR takes some time to develop, so go with them again but they must support each other more.

yes all the BR tackled well, but they played as individuals the BR is a unit and at most if not all breakdowns there should be at least two of them there, to change the BR completely would give us the same issues, a BR takes some time to develop, so go with them again but they must support each other more.

I get your point about consistency but we'll see... it wasn't just the back row who played poorly on Friday, pretty much everyone had their issues. I think Tips will play against England and therefore will be rested for the Italy game... which in turn would be the perfect opportunity to give Young a run out as (with the exception of injuries) when else are you going to be able to get a good look at him (more than 20 mins at the end of a game). Moriarty may well get another run out as he just hasn't played much rugby but as most have stated he's a 6 not an 8.

On the whole Moriarty and Tips have played enough together (Navidi less so) that I would imagine their form could click just as easily as it 'unclicked' against France... and while you obviously want more than merely tackles from a back row, going in against a French pack 50kg's heavier than you on Friday... tackling was always gonna be a priority. It will be against England too (as well as slowing the breakdown defensively and protecting the breakdown offensively).

Latest posts