• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2019 Six Nations] France vs Wales (01/02/2019)

TRF_Olyy

English Arrogance
Staff member
TRF Legend
Country Flag
England
Club or Nation
Sale
France.png
VS
Wales.png

Stade de France
20:00, 01/02/2019

I suppose this depends which French team turns up. If it's the one that can play rugby football then we are in for a tough time., Especially with pack parity in their favour, and individually I think they have the better talent , Waledls just not scoring enough for me and France at home historically come good world cup year ,l hate to say it but France by 7 -10 points. I think it will be an entertaining game though.

Bastereud apparently not in the match day 23 and N'Tamack will start at 12 with Fofana at 13. Them the rumours

I suppose this depends which French team turns up. If it's the one that can play rugby football then we are in for a tough time., Especially with pack parity in their favour, and individually I think they have the better talent , Waledls just not scoring enough for me and France at home historically come good world cup year ,l hate to say it but France by 7 -10 points. I think it will be an entertaining game though.
You needn't worry. The union don't have that in store. Brunel is struggling to remember what it looks like.

This one is for Wales to lose. If you can't get a win you've only got yourself to blame.

You needn't worry. The union don't have that in store. Brunel is struggling to remember what it looks like.

This one is for Wales to lose. If you can't get a win you've only got yourself to blame.

It's a shame that France don't pick their best players and they just pick those based on reputation. Vakatawa, Fickou and Fofana are the 3 best centres in France yet it seems only one of them will play (Valatawa isn't even in the squad!!). I can't pretend to be an avid watcher of French rugby so who would you pick as your starting lineup FrenchFan? Would Ramos be the 10 to pick based on current form or Dupont at scrum half?

Fofana and Picamoles started the week by announcing their retirement. Talk about setting the stage...

Louis told the media he knew they couldn't wait to see the back of him so he might oblige and get out by the end of the competition. This is getting hilarious.

Meanwhile the union can't shift their tickets. Nobody's buying because no one is going to the game. The union are going to fill the joint with corporate heads (the ones that choke on their prawn sandwich and boo the team because the rest of the crowd are booing)

Apparently this is the Wales starting IV for friday:

Rob Evans, Ken Owens, Tomos Francis,
Adam Beard, AWJ,
Josh Navidi, Ross Moriarty, Justin Tipuric.

Tomos Williams, Gareth Anscombe,
Hadleigh Parkes, Jon Davies,
Josh Adams, Liam Williams, George North.

No mention of the bench, but I'd imagine it would be something like:

Nicky Smith/Wyn Jones, Elliot Dee, Samson Lee, Jake Ball/Cory Hill, Aaron Wainwright, Gareth Davies, Dan Biggar, Owen Watkin/Hallam Amos.

I really like the look of this side. Slight worry over Moriarty's lack if game time, but otherwise I like the balance in the side.

I really like the look of this side. Slight worry over Moriarty's lack if game time, but otherwise I like the balance in the side.

If that is the team I agree with you about Moriarty... it's not as if he is a proper 8 either (I think he's a great 6... and could well go on to become world class in that position eventually). I just think the cupboard is so bare when it comes to 8's that Gats feels that he can only go Faletau or Moriarty in a tier 1 contest. I would have probably gone 6. Wainwright, 7. Tipuric & 8 Navidi because of Ross's lack of game time.

Also interesting that although Gareth Davies has been passed fit, Gats isn't parachuting him in to the team in a similar manner. Still, I'm happy that it looks like Tomos will get the jersey... if he can fine tune a few things he can be better than Webb or Davies imo.

French team named - Ntamack / Fofana partnership confirmed.

France:
Maxime Medard; Damian Penaud, Wesley Fofana, Romain Ntamack, Yoann Huget; Camille Lopez, Morgan Parra; Jefferson Poirot, Guilhem Guirado (capt), Uini Antonio, Sebastien Vahaamahina, Paul Willemse, Wenceslas Laurent, Arthur Iturria, Louis Picamoles.

Replacements: Julien Marchand, Dany Priso, Demba Bamba, Felix Lambey, Gregory Alldritt, Baptiste Serin Gael Fickou, Geoffrey Doumayrou.

Wales: Liam Williams (Saracens); George North (Ospreys), Jonathan Davies (Scarlets), Hadleigh Parkes (Scarlets), Josh Adams (Worcester); Gareth Anscombe (Cardiff Blues), Tomos Williams (Cardiff Blues); Rob Evans (Scarlets), Ken Owens (Scarlets), Tomas Francis (Exeter), Adam Beard (Ospreys), Alun Wyn Jones (Ospreys, captain), Josh Navidi (Cardiff Blues), Justin Tipuric (Ospreys), Ross Moriarty (Dragons).

Replacements: Elliot Dee (Dragons), Wyn Jones (Scarlets), Samson Lee (Scarlets), Cory Hill (Dragons), Aaron Wainwright (Dragons), Gareth Davies (Scarlets), Dan Biggar (Ospreys), Owen Watkin (Ospreys).

Happy with that line up - only worry is Moriarty's lack of game time / form. Not been too impressed with him since his move to the Dragons, but likely down to his lack of full fitness.

Very happy Tomos Williams is starting, he's been class for the Blues this season and hoping he can shine here as well.

Im delighted Tomos is starting. I think he has all the tools to be a world class 9 and just needs the game time.

It's a shame that France don't pick their best players and they just pick those based on reputation. Vakatawa, Fickou and Fofana are the 3 best centres in France yet it seems only one of them will play (Valatawa isn't even in the squad!!). I can't pretend to be an avid watcher of French rugby so who would you pick as your starting lineup FrenchFan? Would Ramos be the 10 to pick based on current form or Dupont at scrum half?
I'd pick the current Toulouse or Clermont ahead of any line-up from the union. These 2 would beat the union charade any given day.
The union are on their way out of the Top 10. Just a question of time.

I'd pick the current Toulouse or Clermont ahead of any line-up from the union. These 2 would beat the union charade any given day.
The union are on their way out of the Top 10. Just a question of time.

Trust me FF I get your negativity... if I was French I'd be damn near suicidal given your riches but all I would say is that they looked a much better team during last years 6N than during the summer and Autumn. I expect the 6N level of performance or better this year.

I too can't say I'm super clued up on the French players but there was one or two surprises for me. I know he gets a hard time but I still expected Bastareaud to be there.

It's not a bad Welsh team but it's not best thing since sliced baguette either. Home advantage is such a big thing in the 6N that, with apologies to FF's blood pressure, I think the French might just sneak it.

It's not a bad Welsh team but it's not best thing since sliced baguette either. Home advantage is such a big thing in the 6N that, with apologies to FF's blood pressure, I think the French might just sneak it.

In fairness, we haven't been anywhere near sliced baguette since the 70's.

Wales should match up in the pack and should dominate the breakdown. I worry over RM fitness and would have given him another week. Wainwright and Young can more than fill the gap.

Tomos Williams will build nicely with Anscombe and their club understanding will help.

Our back 3 look quick, strong and will hit some decent lines. France simply have to kick cleverly or the 'should' be ripped apart. Wales have clearly gone for a high tempo team, something France can not do. France like it slow like their club games.

I hope Parkes can find some form and isnt the plug in the hole that stops it going wide. I dont see France winning or coming close BUT stranger things have happened. I think Wales should just be too clinical and too professional this time. Watkin to surplant Parkes by end of 6N.

Harri Millard as late bolter for WC.

Latest posts