• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2017 RBS Six Nations] Round 2: Wales vs England (11/02/2017)

It took me 5 seconds to look up

16.4.e

A player must not fall on or over the ball as it is coming out of a ruck.

Sanction: Penalty kick
http://laws.worldrugby.org/?law=16.4&language=EN

"As it is coming out of the ruck.."

Ok so the referee said two things; he said the ball is emerging from the ruck. But he also the ball is out. From the look of that law, the distinction is important?

If you want that level of finer point you'll have to talk to @smartcooky or similar.

I'd argue that until the ball is lifted it would still be considered as 'coming out the ruck'. Although its probably to do with the area around the ruck that your not allowed to dive on the ball.

Last edited by a moderator:
That law above isn't. Bit the ball was already out. Iv seen that allowed by loads of refs.

I'm fairly certain you haven't - as I say, if the ball rolls out to the side of a ruck, you're unlikely to get pinged for it.
But if it's directly behind the ruck then you will unless it's gone well clear. It doesn't really happen very often.

The point is that the ball is out - so it's playable. But if it's still in the vicinity of the ruck, you can only play it by picking it up, not diving on it.

It's a bit like taking the ball out of play - you're allowed to take the ball and run it into touch or dead, but you can't throw/pass/strike it out.

Can you stop being so patronising please mate, it's highly annoying.

I'm not thumbing my nose at you, Wood and Hartley seemed to be unaware of the law, and they're professional players, neither did the commentators apparently.

I'm simply very surprised, because it was drilled into me that you weren't allowed to do it when I was a schoolboy.

Last edited:
I'm fairly certain you haven't - as I say, if the ball rolls out to the side of a ruck, you're unlikely to get pinged for it.
But if it's directly behind the ruck then you will unless it's gone well clear. It doesn't really happen very often.

The point is that the ball is out - so it's playable. But if it's still in the vicinity of the ruck, you can only play it by picking it up, not diving on it.

It's a bit like taking the ball out of play - you're allowed to take the ball and run it into touch or dead, but you can't throw/pass/strike it out.

I'm not thumbing my nose at you, Wood and Hartley seemed to be unaware of the law, and they're professional players, neither did the commentators apparently.

I'm simply very surprised, because it was drilled into me that you weren't allowed to do it when I was a schoolboy.

You had better schoolboy drilling than I did it seems! :p

I reckon Clifford is the new Tom Croft.

Is that an... Insult...?

Brief flashes of brilliance fading to mediocre insignificance and a long descent into ignominious obscurity. That's my take on Croft anyway ;)

Clifford makes sense for this one. He'll give us some badly needed go forward, just not in a Billy through a brick wall kind of way. Also be good to counter Tipuric.

No issue with Nowell. Slightly surprised May's the one to give way though.

With the exceptions of Wood and Mullan the bench looks fairly impactful. You wouldn't want to be a tired Welshman facing a fresh May at 60 minutes.

Wales: Leigh Halfpenny; George North, Jonathan Davies, Scott Williams, Liam Williams; Dan Biggar, Rhys Webb; Rob Evans, Ken Owens, Tomas Francis; Jake Ball, Alun Wyn Jones; Sam Warburton, Justin Tipuric, Ross Moriarty.

Reps: Scott Baldwin, Nicky Smith, Samson Lee, Cory Hill, Taulupe Faletau, Gareth Davies, Sam Davies, Jamie Roberts.

Adventurous as ever. Still scratching my head at 1/2p over Williams and Roberts on the bench. Ah well.

Disappointed at the selection as usual but i can't remember the last time I was happy looking at a Wales team sheet.

There's Davies proving his starting Lions berth against NZ from the bench against the No. 2 team in the world!

Latest posts