• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2017 RBS Six Nations] Round 2: Wales vs England (11/02/2017)

Slightly OT but can anyone explain the penalty given against Wood at 33:44 last week?

I'm generally critical of Wood but not sure I understand this one.

England team

1. Joe Marler
2. Dylan Hartley
3. Dan Cole
4. Joe Launchbury
5. Courtney Lawes
6. Maro Itoje
7. Jack Clifford
8. Nathan Hughes
9. Ben Youngs
10. George Ford
11. Elliot Daly
12. Owen Farrell
13. Jonathan Joseph
14. Jack Nowell
15. Mike Brown

Replacements: 16. Jamie George (Saracens, 13 caps), 17. Matt Mullan (Wasps, 14 caps), 18. Kyle Sinckler (Harlequins, 4 caps), 19. Tom Wood (Northampton Saints, 46 caps), 20. James Haskell (Wasps, 71 caps), 21. Danny Care (Harlequins, 67 caps), 22. Ben Te'o (Worcester Warriors, 4 caps), 23. Jonny May (Gloucester Rugby, 23 caps).

wales team announcement delayed to 1pm in order to asses North and Biggar's fitness

Fairly happy with that.

Slightly OT but can anyone explain the penalty given against Wood at 33:44 last week?

I'm generally critical of Wood but not sure I understand this one.

Basically you can't dive on the ball whilst it's in the vicinity of the ruck - even if it's out.
I think it's because if you dive on the ball right behind a ruck - it's very difficult to form a new ruck because the old one's in the way.

I've been quite shocked at how few people seem to be aware of the law - I thought it was common knowledge, particularly for back-rowers!

No Wood yay!

Yes Brown booo!

No Hask booo?

Looks like we can be certain Daly is seen as a winger not a stopgap solution.

In other news, some forwards are playing

Lolz, jk

Clifford's a very interesting one, didn't see that coming at all. He'll bring some carrying which we desperately need (although he's probably more of accident character, still doesn't fill the Billy-shaped hole). He's also quick which is always a boon for an OSF, although I don't really see him as a breakdown master so might not make a huge difference. Overall probably better than Wood but would still prefer a fit Haskell

Fairly happy with that.

Basically you can't dive on the ball whilst it's in the vicinity of the ruck - even if it's out.
I think it's because if you dive on the ball right behind a ruck - it's very difficult to form a new ruck because the old one's in the way.

I've been quite shocked at how few people seem to be aware of the law - I thought it was common knowledge, particularly for back-rowers!

I'm not sure that's the reason, given a ball carrier can be tackled right on top of the previous ruck, it happens a lot actually... was still surprised it was illegal anyway as players dive on balls squirting out from a ruck a hell of a lot with no penalty

Clifford's a better carrier than Haskell, so should help a fair bit, particularly if Maro can take a bit more of the carrying workload.

I'm not sure that's the reason, given a ball carrier can be tackled right on top of the previous ruck, it happens a lot actually... was still surprised it was illegal anyway as players dive on balls squirting out from a ruck a hell of a lot with no penalty

They're only allowed to do it if the ball isn't near the ruck, if it goes out to the side, it's not so much of a problem.
You also can't really do much to prevent players being tackled onto an existing ruck - if you could, they probably would.

That's a young back line for us. Clifford really needs to step up massively. I expect 6,7,8 to be flying around the pitch and gettin wales face. They're young and pretty dynamic so it should be no problem for them. The question is whether they can be physical enough in the contact area to push back the experienced Wales forwards.

Not surprised by the selections though. Hask still not 100% Wood took a slight knock last week and was also off colour. Glad to see Daly back in and to have Nowell start. All in all a strong team, if they play to the level expected, we have every chance of winning, but we cannot afford another bad first 20, and certainly not a bad first half. If we allow the Welsh tails to go up and let them settle into their well established patterns, we will be in trouble

Happy enough with the side

Surprised at Nowell coming in for May, I'd have expected Daly to be the one to drop out.
Wonder what this means for Watson? Fullback?

Happy enough with the side

Surprised at Nowell coming in for May, I'd have expected Daly to be the one to drop out.
Wonder what this means for Watson? Fullback?

He's said that's who he's looking at to replace Mike.

Eddie said Hask isn't ready to start, so can't really argue with that. Also glad Eddie has gone with Wood over Harrison on bench.

They're only allowed to do it if the ball isn't near the ruck, if it goes out to the side, it's not so much of a problem.
You also can't really do much to prevent players being tackled onto an existing ruck - if you could, they probably would.

Problem is the referees explanation of the penalty was "The Balls out but you can't dive on it, you must stay on your feet". Bearing in mind that this happens very frequently with players often diving on the lose ball and not penalised for it, his explanation doesn't really help much. The ball seemed to end up with enough space from the previous ruck as well.

Problem is the referees explanation of the penalty was "The Balls out but you can't dive on it, you must stay on your feet". Bearing in mind that this happens very frequently with players often diving on the lose ball and not penalised for it, his explanation doesn't really help much. The ball seemed to end up with enough space from the previous ruck as well.

If the balls out and it's open play then you can dive on it. Don't understand this one.

Interesting line up, thought Teo would've been looked at, Sam Davies definitely wouldn't have wanted Teo running at him. Should be a good game, Clifford to outshine Tipuric and get Lions Jersey

If the balls out and it's open play then you can dive on it. Don't understand this one.

Except when it's still in the vicinity of the ruck. Don't understand what's so hard to grasp?!

If you look at where players get away with diving on the ball, it's very rarely right behind the ruck.

Latest posts