• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2016 Super Rugby] Jaguares vs. Sharks (Round 12) 14/05/2016

How many "get out of jail free" cards do the Sharks have!? At times thugh the Jaguares beat themselves. That's 3 games now against bigger teams they really ought to have taken it all the way having played all the rugby.

Are the Sharks that staunch on defence and plain lucky though or are the Jaguares giving away games they really have the winning of?

Last edited:
Discipline > talent.

We bullied a team that beat the highlander in NZ for 80 minutes yet we managed to make so many mistakes it ended up costing us the game.
The last pass of the game was so illustrative of the way we play i laughed out loud (in case you missed it, we had possession and threw a 15 meter pass one meter high above the received out of the pitch).

Lots of errors in the game but it was a close nailbiter! The Jaguares are a difficult team to defend. Very happy about result now we get some rest.

You have to give credit to the Sharks though. They defended tremendously well in the end and did a great job in that last scrum which lost the game. Also keep in mind that in a period of 15 days they have played in New Zealand, South Africa and Argentina. That's just madness, and they won two out of three of those games only just losing by two points to the Chiefs.

at this point in the competition, I think the top four SA teams rank as follows (based on the current form levels):
1 Lions
2 Sharks
3 Stormers
4 Bulls

I've always respected the sharks. They are not flashy but they are incredibly tidy and will make you pay for every single mistake you make. The word "efficient" comes to mind.

Could anybody tell Hernandez the raw truth?? You were a great player, but not anymore...please retire yourself.

I really think that the lack of (complete) english understanding plays a part in our overall terrible discipline, the refs also don't seem to be very interested in taking their time to explain things a bit slower or a bit more clear to the argentine players.

That aside, the last pass of Hernández was... deserves to be lynched by a mob just for trying that. Also, why oh why do we NEVER do a set piece well when we are right next to the ingoal?

Congrats Sharks.
Of course a bit dissapointed with the result, but satisfied with the general performance.

Disappointingly predictable, Jags can't close a shut door.

Sack the management and get in some guys with steel and stability. The squad has been chopped and changed far too much to build any consistency. Argentinian rugby is very good, but they don't have the depth to carry on like that.

The UAR is surely looking at a change of coach? Surely. Surely? This was another poor performance in my opinion. Not because the Jags didn't do good things, but because they were once again dominant and couldn't make it count. In any other sport, in any other competiton, this kind of form would be inexcusable.

Anyway I'm sick of complaining about the Jag's form and them losing again is no longer a surprise so there's no point in being mad. Some good things:

-Sanchez is world class. He plays well every time.
-Tuculet isn't far behind him. You could make the argument that he actually took 6 Sharks out of the game for the first try. Superb.
-Landajo is highly creative and a huge distraction for opposition defences - difficult to predict in a good way.
-The game plan was more pragmatic. The Jags used their obvious skill and pace when it made sense to do so and they used the big strong runners like Lavannini and Matera when needed. At least there looks to be coherence in the approach now.

I can't resist because I'm still ****** off at the shocking waste of undoubted rugby talent this team has become:
-The insane desire to offload everywhere is largely gone, but the tendency to drop the ball all the time has not.
-Herrera is a major culprit with this. Great prop, awful hands (at the moment).
-The disciplinary issues remain and are not helped by Lavannini leading into tackles with his head.
-The first half looked like the Sharks were badly outclassed and hopelessly out of their depth in this game, yet they went in ahead at half time. Absolutely 110% unforgivable.
-The music in the Velez stadium is pure ****e.

Seriously, is it out of order to suggest that the whole Jags team and management are part of a shady betting operation that is raking in millions in winnings by betting on their opponents to win? That's the only explanation I can think of to explain the losing run they are on. I stand to be corrected but I believe that they may now have the worst record of any team in the competition?

Last edited:
come on man that last advantage over a Defensive knock on was ridiculous. at least 5 phases after the actual knock on.the reff totally favored the sharks

Sorry if this is a noob question, but why the hell an argentine referee isn't ever asigned to one of our matches? is SANZAR biased against them or something? why always south african referee against SA teams?

and why didn't the reff award that try when senatore grounded the ball? and didn't he award a penalty try when those 3 penalties? and that guy hitting Orlando s head
I hope he gets cited

Guys when it comes down to it, you can complain about referee errors all you want. They are a fact of the game and sometimes they'll go in your favour, other times not. If the Jags weren't so wasteful, if they stopped getting players sin binned, if they converted even 10% more of the chances they are presented with, if they got a back up kicker for Sanchez, if they stopped mentally collapsing when it seems the game is in the balance, if they had not forgotten their rugby identity, if they had a more accomplished coaching team, this (and other) refereeing decisions would have little effect on the result. Also, if my granny had balls, she'd be my grandad. The NZ teams don't complain about such things because ultimately they get the job done in 80 mins and such refereeing decisions are consigned to history. The bottom line is that if the Jags keep playing as they are, if they keep faith with the current coaching team, the results will be the same and we'll be here this time next year complaining about referees and wondering why Los Pumas are the least successful team in a club competition.

...If the Jags weren't so wasteful, if they stopped getting players sin binned, if they converted even 10% more of the chances they are presented with, if they got a back up kicker for Sanchez, if they stopped mentally collapsing when it seems the game is in the balance, if they had not forgotten their rugby identity, if they had a more accomplished coaching team.

DH... so, ".......If the Jags played more like Los Pumas...." ?

Sorry if this is a noob question, but why the hell an argentine referee isn't ever asigned to one of our matches? is SANZAR biased against them or something? why always south african referee against SA teams?

Because, and I mean no disrespect here, you don't have any referees at the required level for Super Rugby. Neither Francisco Pastrana nor Federico Anselmi are on the SANZAAR Referee Panel.

Mind you, I don't think that Marius van der Westhuizen was up to the standard required either. I was less than impressed with him today, and while I don't believe there was any intentional bias on his part, I am always suspicious when a team loses after they have had the better of almost all of the stats and have outscored their opponents 3 tries to 1 and the referee was a countryman of the winning side.

DH... so, ".......If the Jags played more like Los Pumas...." ?

Given that they are the same group of players, it might not be a bad place to start. It's a different competition so a different game plan is required in some respects, but I think that we can all agree that the Jags are just not working as a franchise and have not adjusted to Super Rugby. What that means is that a continuation of the current circumstances isn't sufficient, no matter how many bonus point loses they have. A loss is a loss.

Hey, long time no see.

Now this was upsetting. And I have been through ten games without need of saying it out loud on public outside the pub, but now the internet it's the only place to free my frustration. This is bad, even worst than loosing to the sunwolves.

This guy, this referee, he wasn't up to the standard. If this happened to an australian or new zealander team it would be a scandal, a huge thing. This is not good man. The try, the off side, the rucking, even the advantages were wrongly counted.

On the other side, jaguares' tactic was moronic: you play against a bigger and stronger team on pick 'n go, mauls and slow ruck? Time to look for a new coach. Time to fire Felipe Contepomi and make him only the waterboy, take the suit out of his closet. Time to call that guy who was the CUBA coach when they won the championship. Time to fire Landajo dammit, Cubelli is out there on a strong team and here we have mr running on my own against 4 forwards and loosing the ball all the time.

We're just letting everyone down including ourselves.