• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2015 RWC] Semi Final 1: South Africa vs. New Zealand (24/10/2015)

Christian Cullen comes to mind.

Benching 148kgs while weighing 84kgs. That's powerlifting strength. What a talent he was. Lethal speed, vision, strength. Possibly my favourite All Black.

Since when has bench press been the standard for strength? Owen Franks has a power clean of 160kg (not sure if he has improved since) his brother has a deadlift of 280kg I believe he has the biggest squat on the team. Moody is sure to have set this record in the off season not the week of a RWC semi.

Re-phase - he bench presses the most out of the AB squad is all I was saying! Was supposed to be a fun fact while we twiddle our thumbs for the next 36 hours ;)

At least we have a couple ITM cup finals to watch in the mean time!!

Strong AB team. How has Conrad Smith's form been of late? He was off the boil in the RC.

yeah he has been quiet, the last game was his best for a while, some nice touches including a good catch and offload to Nonu for the skudder try. not a standout game but just the sort of performance we need from him in his last two tests ever. His most important job is generally stopping anything that comes down the right hand side, leading the defense on that side.

Scary to imagine that we are about to watch the last two tests that, Nonu, Smith, Carter, Mealamu, maybe Kaino and probably McCaw will ever be involved in.

(maybe Kaino, like 50/50 he is sticking in NZ, maybe wants to be here for the lions tour... but will be 36 next WC with ioane, Shields, Luatua & Dixon on the scene I can see a changing of the guard happening at 6 next year to build towards 2019, akira ioane looks like hes about to take the rugby world by storm and is most likely to do it from 6)

yeah he has been quiet, the last game was his best for a while, some nice touches including a good catch and offload to Nonu for the skudder try. not a standout game but just the sort of performance we need from him in his last two tests ever. His most important job is generally stopping anything that comes down the right hand side, leading the defense on that side.

Scary to imagine that we are about to watch the last two tests that, Nonu, Smith, Carter, Mealamu, maybe Kaino and probably McCaw will ever be involved in.

(maybe Kaino, like 50/50 he is sticking in NZ, maybe wants to be here for the lions tour... but will be 36 next WC with ioane, Shields, Luatua & Dixon on the scene I can see a changing of the guard happening at 6 next year to build towards 2019, akira ioane looks like hes about to take the rugby world by storm and is most likely to do it from 6)

I saw a stat that suggested he had only missed one tackle all tournament so on that front he seems to be on form which is good cause for the first time in ages Smith seemed to be dropping off/missing tackles this year!

South African fans:

Someone told me recently that Eben Etzebeth's gym needed to buy more weight because they weren't heavy enough for him anymore.
Any truth to this?

South African fans:

Someone told me recently that Eben Etzebeth's gym needed to buy more weight because they weren't heavy enough for him anymore.
Any truth to this?

Sounds like BS when you can stack a bar..

South African fans:

Any truth to this?

Western Province had to buy bigger dumbbells for him as the ones they had were to light for him.

Sounds like BS when you can stack a bar..

Man for man and between skill and skill, I'd say Retallic is better and not as one dimenstional as "hard man Eben".
Retallics work rate pound for pound is phenomenal, Retallic makes Vic and Eben humble

Wish I was as 'humble' as Eben

Last edited by a moderator:
Christian Cullen comes to mind.

Benching 148kgs while weighing 84kgs. That's powerlifting strength. What a talent he was. Lethal speed, vision, strength. Possibly my favourite All Black.

My favourite rugby player of all time.

South African fans:

Any truth to this?

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/rugbyunion/international/southafrica/11230030/South-Africas-giant-lock-Eben-Etzebeth-keen-to-cement-own-legacy-for-the-Springboks.html

There are many articles about it, but it seems like it could be true, even though no article has something "from the horses mouth".

He is certainly a beast.

Anyway back to the match and enough about gym and weights.

The closer this game gets, the more nervous I get. We are certainly the underdogs for this match, but if any team can beat the All Blacks, it would be us.

Eben loves his bicep curls

Brad Thorn was a classic.....but then again I suppose the Saffas are the hardest, yet softest.

The truth is: SA are weak out front, middle and wings

Brad Thorn was a thorn in their arse and a great Bronco player.

Watch this my Saffa friends, watch closely where Smit grabs his balls.

Very dirty hard men yet funny

Last edited by a moderator: