• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2015 RWC] Quarter Final 2: New Zealand vs. France (17/10/2015)

ffs I love ABs, I think they are the greatest side in all rugby history, I wish french would be able to play the game you guys are able to put together and I think they were great this evening (and they are just qualified for a SF of the RWC !!) but please, do you really think that 63-12 is representing the real difference between the french and the AB rugby ? Do you honestly believe the French have played with their heart and soul tonight ??
just for reference, what do you think is a representation of the real difference between the two sides?

Never doubted DC, still doubt Savea.

He is a great finisher and shines when we are on the front foot but I dont think he injects himself enough when its tight (or "simulated" pressure) and he seems to not challenge the attacking high balls. Im not a hater, I hope this game gives him confidence, I just feel he is a bit one dimensional. Ironically everyone starts comparing him to Lomu after this game who I think was also one dimensional.

At about 15 minutes he almost cost us a try watching and hoping the ball would go out. He just doesnt look confident and decisive. He should because he is awesome!

I dunno, I was hammered watching this game so happy to be proven wrong. I just worry he looked great in this game because the team were great, he doesnt strike me as a player to inject and elevate the team when we are flat which is how the games will play out from here to the final.

For sure he's one-dimensional, but if he can provide that one dimension very efficiently and effectively then he's a crucial weapon, the rest of the guys can cover for his inefficiencies around the park. I believe Naholo is more of a complete player with a more complete skill-set, but he sadly didn't have enough time to get into form and he let himself down a little, so we have to back Savea and what he produced lastnight will do nothing but make him run harder and believe against South Africa, which is all we can ask.

What did you see i didn't?? honest question. Kaino has been very vanilla for mine

Well that comment was directed towards that poster because in the past few weeks he has been a bit critical of Kaino.

To answer your question, I thought he stepped up his game to accommodate the competition today. Some have criticized his form lately, saying that he has lost a step in the physicality department which is considered one of his main assets. But yeah no I thought he carried and tackled well, either making ground in carrying or staying on his feet to allow for support or stopping defenders making ground or pushing them back.

I think the first turnover of the game was a result of his hit. His clearing of the breakdown was good as well, I think for Julian's second try he was the first guy at the breakdown to clear out after Ben Smith took the ball from Picamoles. I saw a moment when Dusautoir had a carry and Kaino made sure that he was going to make an aggressive tackle on him, I thought that kind of summarized his performance today. But yeah just thought that overall he played well and we need that from him to accommodate Read being quite loose.

Oh for sure. Im not suggesting he be replaced, its just a worry for me.

Skudder is almost the opposite. He is a total loose cannon and looks like he is playing in his back yard he has so much confidence. I think he will cost us a try at some point but I think he will score more to make up for it.

Its just interesting how different they are. Hopefully its the perfect combination.

[Following comment is really for kiwi readers, because they will probably be the only ones who understand it]

For mine, one of the most satisfying things about this win isn't that it has buried the ghosts of Cardiff 2007, or that it was one of the most decisive demoliton jobs the All Blacks have ever carried out on a traditional opponent, or that it is the first time we have made it to the semi-final stage in a European RWC since 1999.

No, the most satisfying aspect is that that it wipes the supercilious, sneering grins off the faces of Kieren "the Man-in-the-Stand" Smythe and Mark "mr negativity/glass half full" Watson, and I will be able to listen to RadiSport and won't have to hear their whinging, whining, girlie voices prattling on and on and on about Steve Hansen amd Richie McCaw and Dan Carter for at least the next week.

I don't think concerns about Kaino were totally unjustified up until now. During the Rugby Championship we had posters point out that we seem pretty slow to the breakdown, and pretty slow to do most things. We seemed pretty overwhelmed in the pace department against South Africa and Australia in my view. Whether that was because the ABs were holding back then as well, I don't know, I can only judge what's in front of me. When Vito got an opportunity he had attacking stats that were almost on par with Milner Skudder. Woodcock and Kaino kind of epitomized the players in the forwards who are vastly experienced but have lost a step in pace. To be fair, I was more harsh on Woodcock than Kaino though - as Vito can go missing and isn't a great of a tackler as Kaino. Willing to accept I was wrong on Kaino for now, but I'd still like to see him tested a little more.

I can't, If France would have have put up an average performance, I would do without hesitation but ffs guys, please do see that htere was a ghost french team on the pitch.

A better French side could have closed the gap up for sure. And as I've said, I do feel for them regarding the injury. Losing a 10 in a QF is massive. But 62 points, man? Come on. I think a little bit of credit might be nice. Even if we halved that, it still doesn't look good for you guys by any means. If we were in your shoes, oh boy, we wouldn't hear the end of how great you guys were. Be good sports.

I think it's important to keep our heads on straight. Yes it was a good petformance but with no disrespect to France, their team was a bit ****. I just hope this win doesn't go to the All Black players heads, and they recognise the need to approach all games with the same manner they would usually.

Finally an AB fan who talks sense :D

You have to say, I feel like a lot of the guys have saved themselves for a LONG time just for these last 3 games in the RWC. The effort and drive and application was outstanding. Not meaning to get ahead of ourselves, but it's hard not to with the commitment shown here, champion mentality.

Over-achieved is more accurate for the French, not once in their history have they ever been consistent. The days of sucker punching are finished, real substances is now needed in Rugby, it's too professional and polished now for a lot of the top teams for them to get away with their shenanigans.

- - - Updated - - -

To be fair, they've been consistent at being inconsistent.

Yes. But you can't understand, you are just in your high. Sleep and look again at the second half and you will understand. Honestly, ABs have won only because there was no spirit in that french team (and it is down to the coach team). The only very few moments were the french rebelled themselves , ABs were just scared (start of the second half for example). There was no WANT, no fighting spirit in that french team , do not fool yourself on the result.

Owens is a french hater and this is something that is long known. The last 20 minutes of the game were just a farce of refering (forward passes, guys in front of the ball carrier etc etc) , the french were already knees on the ground and Owens just buried happily the french even more.

I feel your pain. Owens had a really bad game refereeing South Africa - Samoa 2011 world cup.

Yes. But you can't understand, you are just in your high. Sleep and look again at the second half and you will understand. Honestly, ABs have won only because there was no spirit in that french team (and it is down to the coach team). The only very few moments were the french rebelled themselves , ABs were just scared (start of the second half for example). There was no WANT, no fighting spirit in that french team , do not fool yourself on the result.

Owens is a french hater and this is something that is long known. The last 20 minutes of the game were just a farce of refering (forward passes, guys in front of the ball carrier etc etc) , the french were already knees on the ground and Owens just buried happily the french even more.

Exactly. Well put.