• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2015 RWC] Pool C: New Zealand vs. Georgia (02/10/2015)

Read only covered it last game

- - - Updated - - -

Even so, Vito has definitely taken the bench spot over Romano, whether he comes on at 8 or lock.

Nah mate, Read covered lock in both games: Against Arg he made the swap to lock from #8; and in the second it was a straight swap with Whitelock for Read off the bench.

So Read appears in the eyes of the selectors to be the preferred locking cover - which is why I was confused about your post.

Also, the fact that Romano started at lock vs Namibia suggests that he is still the 3rd pick lock.

Vito does appear to be the preferred bench option, but as loose forward cover. I guess I was a little surprised at the use of Read at lock, but if you think about it it probably makes sense IF they want to have both Vito and Cane on the bench at the expense of locking cover. It's probably preferable to have your bench guy (Vito) coming on to the position the requires more running, and have the guy who has expended a little more energy already (Read) coming in tight a little more and playing lock. At least thats the logic I think they must be following cause all else equal I would have thought Vito and Kaino would be the preferred locking over, not Read. Any other explanations?

I think Read covered in name and scrum positioning only, Vito is good in the line outs, but yeah, definitely has more impact at 8. So it makes sense, we obviously don't rate Romano to do the best job, so Read to lock Vito to 8, come the knock outs I guess we will know for sure. But Vito > Romano on the bench all day every day for me.

Read or Kaino would cover lock ahead of Vito surely. Vito's attributes are far more suited for the back row so in the event of a lock going down against Georgia it is much more likely to be Kaino that takes over and Vito covers 6. Read probably makes a better lock than Kaino but we lose the best 8 in the world if he is shifted.

Vito is a very good linnet jumper, hence why people believe he is good locking cover.

As I said though, the ABs have used Read in both games at lock so I can't see any reason why that would change unless they are not happy with what he has shown so far OR they want to trial something else.

Vito is a very good linnet jumper, hence why people believe he is good locking cover.

As I said though, the ABs have used Read in both games at lock so I can't see any reason why that would change unless they are not happy with what he has shown so far OR they want to trial something else.

I heard a bit of banter Read doesn't like covering lock.

A guy I think we really miss is Patrick Tuipulotu.

The bonus points will come whatever team the All Blacks play.
Its not about the win -its about getting game time together.

I'm worried about halfbacks and the back-three.

I'd definitively put Tkhilaishvili and Nemsadze as starters.
Nemso is a very strong defender (23 tackles against Tonga), always do the dirty job in the rucks, and often the first player to support his teammate's paces (remember his try against Ireland, or Kvirikashvili's pace against Tonga for Tkhilaishvili's try). BTW he is far more athletic than Datunashvili even if I like the leadership of this last one.

Tkhilaishvili is a tackling machine and improved a lot in attack (his try against Tonga prove it). Sutiashvili is an important player, a leader (who captained Georgia last 6 Nations B ), good in the lineout but my choice goes to Tkhilaishvili.
Todua is a bit limited, Aptsiauri and even Pruidze are more skilled IMO.
As for Mamukashvili... maybe in full fit
I like Lomidze but he is sometimes irregular, often starts games with a big heart and finished games being average... In any case, Gorgodze and Kolelishvili are too important and I put Tkhilaishvili as the third backrower
As for Chilachava, he improved a lot and is near to be the first choice but Zirakashvili looks a bit ahead IMO, but not for a longtime.

Hmm well I agree with what you said about most of that but the thing is there is almost no difference in quality between these guys. I just think its the play-style and coaches preference that determines who is the starter and who is a sub.

Todua is weak defensively but he is great in attack, in almost every game he plays he creates either a try or at least one or two close moments, I also think based on the things I've seen from Todua he is a smarter player than Aptsiauri and Pruidze even if the other two are physically stronger and better in defense

Nemsadze and Mikautadze are both immense but Datunashvili at his best can even rival Gorgodze's impact on the team.. In fact on the games when Gorgodze was missing Datunashvili really took that role to push the team forward. He was very unlucky with the injury this summer otherwise he would've been a certain starter imho.

Sutiashvili-Tkhilaishvili is a pure styles clash and they can pick whichever they need. Tkhilaishvili has been very impressive during this world cup, especially with tackles and defense, but after re-watching the games I realized that he also made many small mistakes.. I think he has a great potential if he leaves Georgia and goes to France or England he can definitely cement the position as his own.

Yes I think Mamukashvili was set back due to his injury, ofcourse Bregvadze is a top class Hooker but Shalva is at least very close to him.

Lomidze like Tkhilaishvili is mostly a product for the future so I guess we can forgive him little stumbles here and there.

Well as far as Zirakashvili is concerned ofc he is ahead of everyone and he has the same authority as Gorgodze in the team, but I think Chilachava will be a worthy replacement for him, and that is not an easy thing to do.

Last edited:
I heard a bit of banter Read doesn't like covering lock.

A guy I think we really miss is Patrick Tuipulotu.

When he swapped for lock against Argentina they said that on the TV commentary. I've not heard anything more than that though.

Yup, I think if Tuipulotu was around he would have a bench spot. He ticks all the boxes. Oh well. TO be honest though it works out pretty well cause I like having Vito and Cane on the bench. Fingers crossed Retalick and Whitelock stay healthy though, which is why I am a little surprised Whitelock is starting this game after starting the last two. I guess Romano will start against Tonga

Does anyone have the inside word on who's worse between Barrett and Slade regarding injuries? Apparently Barrett has been complaining about the same ****le for awhile now, so we definitely wouldn't want to flair that up. He's not long just come back from injury. IMO, we need Barrett as Carter's replacement in the KO games. And Sladey could break a finger just picking up the telephone. Hoping these are primarily precautionary.

Beaver oh Beaver, where art thou!?

Does anyone have the inside word on who's worse between Barrett and Slade regarding injuries? Apparently Barrett has been complaining about the same ****le for awhile now, so we definitely wouldn't want to flair that up. He's not long just come back from injury. IMO, we need Barrett as Carter's replacement in the KO games. And Sladey could break a finger just picking up the telephone. Hoping these are primarily precautionary.

Beaver oh Beaver, where art thou!?

Probably another reason why Sopoaga should have gone, I said it earlier, these two are made of china and Dan is the wine glass. We've taken our chances though, so I guess we have to protect them as much as possible, I bet my house on us losing one of the 3 before the tournament finishes and I'd put money on losing a 2nd. Here's hoping they're ok, but Barrett has been kicking like he's still got issues, doesn't plant his foot well and follow through as comfortably as what he used to. Definitely isn't timing the ball well.

Sopoaga is prepping for the knockout stages, he's got his standard issue NZRFU white baiting gear at the ready....

haha you gotta love Hanson's humor:lol:

why cant they just give the reports a mic... in every single NZ media conference, you only hear steve's answers but hardly ever the questions...

anyways... i love the way hanson handles a media conference, no giving away too much and just enough to answer the questions

cant wait to see this game! i wane see how TJ does on flyhalf aswell...

Last edited by a moderator:
The changes in the front row are interesting for NZ.

I rarely comment on the props cause I think it is something only a very few can truly understand BUT, Steve Hansen's comments regarding the change was interesting I thought.

My take is that while he said the form of Woodcock and Franks hadn't resulted in the change he did say that the good/improving form of Crocket and Faumuina had resulted in them getting the starts. I guess you can take that either way, but my hunch was that this is a bit more than just a change for changes sake and that if these two go well they could well find themselves as the starters. Also, whilst the game result is not in question, the scrums will be a real contest and a great test for the NZ front row. So that should provide a bit of an insight into these 2.

What do you guys think?

Like I said, I don't feel confident commenting on props, but I do wonder if a bit more youth, a bit more mobility might be just what this AB pack needs? It will be one part of this Georgian game I'll be looking quite closely at come Saturday morning!

What do you guys think?

Like I said, I don't feel confident commenting on props, but I do wonder if a bit more youth, a bit more mobility might be just what this AB pack needs? It will be one part of this Georgian game I'll be looking quite closely at come Saturday morning!

I personally think Faumuina has been a real let down up until this RWC in terms of his scrimmaging. He's been a real liability in the scrums for me - but he looked good in the last two games - I do worry about what happens when he comes up against a top quality starting front row.

Crockett I think is very underrated to begin with. I think he is actually one of the best scrimmaging looseheads we've had - despite getting pinged by referees (which I think they get wrong - after years of playing prop I'd be proud of half the scrums he gets pinged for).

Crockett is the man, if we were to drop one of the props, it would be Woodcock for Crockett. I some how get the feeling Hansen has been protecting him a little this year, knowing that he will be our man in the knock out rounds, or perhaps he even prefers using him in the 2nd half when he knows we are at our most dangerous and other teams front rowers tend to get tired and their subs actually end up weakening their scrum and we tend to use this to our advantage by greatly increasing our scrum with our changes, he might ask 80 minutes of Crockett come the knock out rounds though, because it will be important to have good ball and win those battles and compete the whole game.

The changes in the front row are interesting for NZ.

I rarely comment on the props cause I think it is something only a very few can truly understand BUT, Steve Hansen's comments regarding the change was interesting I thought.

My take is that while he said the form of Woodcock and Franks hadn't resulted in the change he did say that the good/improving form of Crocket and Faumuina had resulted in them getting the starts. I guess you can take that either way, but my hunch was that this is a bit more than just a change for changes sake and that if these two go well they could well find themselves as the starters. Also, whilst the game result is not in question, the scrums will be a real contest and a great test for the NZ front row. So that should provide a bit of an insight into these 2.

What do you guys think?

I've taken my time to assess the situation and have been cautious before stamping my final judgement on this issue. But to me, Crockett should be starting our major games. Years ago, yep, maybe Woody would be the preferred option and the incumbent. But that is not the case for me now. He lacks the ferocity and aggression of Crockett and probably the pace as well. We do not want to be like South Africa and select someone because they did something amazing 4 years ago.

Owen Franks needs a rocket stuck up him as far as form goes. I still think after the WC we should heavily invest in Nepo Laulala. But as for right now, I think Franks is still the man for the KO games. Faumaina isn't our man for the scrums and I think we need someone a bit more physical at a World Cup, which Franks brings.

Team selection

I think it is the est side available taking into account the ****ly injuries to Slade, Barrett, Nonu and Messam. When we get into the quarters only Nonu and Barrett will be in contention. Nonu starting and Barrett off the bench which he and SBW do so well.

We have a preoccupation with the starting 15, it is a 23 man team for 80 minutes and the use of the bench is vital. The AB's bench changes things up, having a fresh Vito, Cane, Mealamu, Crockett and Faumuina means That is the AB's strength, the bench. a jump in speed with no loss of lineout power. Hansen has said that he wanted to see how Crockett and Faumuina would go as starters, and the only way to assess that is to start the,. It is cleve coaching as it gives a subtle kick up the backside to Woodcock and Franks. Hopefully it has the desired effect.

Increasing the overall speed is the key. There is an answer to everything in Rugby except speed. The score is unimportant. I want the team to play to their proceses for 80 minutes.

Latest posts