• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2015 RWC] Pool C: New Zealand vs. Georgia (02/10/2015)

I'm wondering if this match could be a banana-peel situation for the AB's with regard to injuries...

Georgia tends to be physical, and Gorgodze has shown that they aren't shying away from that. If I were Hansen I wouldn't pick most of the guys who are first choice players for the knockouts...

Yep! Agreed. I'm actually convinced Barrett or Slade will get injured this match.

I'm wondering if this match could be a banana-peel situation for the AB's with regard to injuries...

Georgia tends to be physical, and Gorgodze has shown that they aren't shying away from that. If I were Hansen I wouldn't pick most of the guys who are first choice players for the knockouts...

I completely understand where you are coming from, but I really hope Hansen and co. stay true to what they have planned and play the full team from here on in. Otherwise this thing has 2007 written all over it.

The All Blacks have good injury cover if needed in pretty much all positions, but what they haven't managed yet is to get some real solid game time for all their first string combinations. I really think we need it. Even if it is just for one half of footy and then bring on the reserves.

- - - Updated - - -

Yep, Tonga beats Argentina, + We have tired lineup = we don't get the bonus vs Namibia and Tonga finishes off by putting 7 tries on them.. Tragedy..

in other words, better safe than sorry..

Although I still want to see Maccaw vs Gorgodze/Kolelishvili :( if they don't play I'll be a bit disappointed even whilst realizing the risks behind it.

Which is exactly what the media is reporting over here. Psychic Duck disagreed with that. I guess we will wait to see who is right and who is wrong.

Which is exactly what the media is reporting over here. Psychic Duck disagreed with that. I guess we will wait to see who is right and who is wrong.
I didn't disagree with that. Just hadn't seen it reported myself, hence why I asked where you had read it. I would be disappointed if they don't pick a good team though as I was hoping for a strong effort from them rather than just conceding.

I didn't disagree with that. Just hadn't seen it reported myself, hence why I asked where you had read it. I would be disappointed if they don't pick a good team though as I was hoping for a strong effort from them rather than just conceding.

OK, I must have read you wrong. It's being widely reported in the NZ media, and it seems like the Georgian one too.

The point really is that while a game against the ABs is a landmark game, beyond emotions and its historical nature, it is largely meaningless, particularly with respect to the result. On the other hand it can not be overstated how important the Georgian's next game, Namibia is. With a short turn around, the potential (albeit a small one) to need a bonus point, and most importantly RWC2019 on the line, it would be inexcusable to play the 1st stringers against the ABs and then get them to back up 5 days later. It doesn't matter how likely Georgia should be to win that one. I agree they will be big favourites, but so was SA vs Japan and look what happened there ;) They must do what ever they can to get automatic qualification for Japan '19.

I agree, it will be sad that Georgia do not filed their best team against the ABs, but that's the RWCs - you have to pick your battles.

but tbf we have some good players in the 31 man squad... as long as Begadze (9) and Tsiklauri (15) don't start we should be just fine... our first scrum choices don't really matter.. all of them are top class guys. as long as they don't omit Gorgodze and Kolelishvili there will be no loss of quality even if they replace the whole scrum besides the two.

for #9 we'll probably start Khutsishvili(21yrs) who was going to be a starter in this world cup before we discovered the 18yr old prodigy, there shouldn't be significant problems unless they go mental and start Begadze who specializes in hospital passes.

On the Fly half we only have 2 choices Malaguradze is a replacement but has started the 2 games because our 1st choice Khmaladze is injured. so If Khmaladze comes back its only gonna improve the team, If not than we will have the same battle hardened player.

On the wings We have started Aptsiauri-Mchedlidze First one being a Converted Fullback and the other Converted Centre.. our real Wings are Todua and Pruidze, If they appear it will only make the squad better while the former 2 can take up their real positions. Pruidze seems to be ommited only because Haig prefers Aptsiauri, I disagree with the decision but again there isn't much between the two.

The centres Sharikadze-Katcharava - we really have no replacements for them atm.. Mchedlidze-Tlakahadze were the 2nd string option but Talakhadze got injured and so did (wing)Todua, Hence we have former on the wing and latter at home. plus our veteran and probably the best ever center Zibzibadze is also injured and out of the world cup. He got a lot of attention during the last world cup where he showcased his trademark tackles over and over and over again.. a very enjoyable player to watch

And last but not least Kvirikashvili the fullback... ehh I wouldn't change him if I were the coach, he's really the only Fullback who has some creativity and talent in the squad... all other Fbs can do is catch and run. well one of them can't even catch since he's fumbled most of the passes he's ever gotten. we did have another 17yr old talent Svanadze at FB who we wanted to play but he got injured during the RWC training camp :( .

so that's it our lineup is basically short on Centres and Fullbacks other spots are well covered and aren't even a step down from the starters.

Last edited by a moderator:
It makes more sense for Georgia to focus on auto qualification for the next world cup then worry about losing margins to the AB's. Long term that will better for there rugby development and funding.

It makes more sense for Georgia to focus on auto qualification for the next world cup then worry about losing margins to the AB's. Long term that will better for there rugby development and funding.

Yup exactly, and their coach has been very clear about this publicly as well - a good kiwi bloke by the way!

- - - Updated - - -

Oh and an update on the NZ team, it appears Messam is still not fit, so I wonder if we will see Vito get a start at 6 to give Kaino a bit of a break. And by all accounts Naholo is ready to go. Otherwise expect a full strength All Black team. Team to be named midnight tonight NZT.

So not really in terms of this match, but who do we think would be a regular in the 14 jersey after the World Cup? Assuming Julian Savea finds some form and retains his 11 position. Hansen seems to be a massive Naholo fan (and for good reason), but Skudder obviously warrants selection based on form and carrying that over into the RC. Still not totally sold on Skudder's tackling ability but whatever.

If there were just one spot left open in winger position, who would you go for? I know it's hard to judge because Naholo hasn't played much international footy. The only thing I can think of is Skudder might be better as an impact player off the bench, and guys who are pretty versatile usually find their way on there. Just curious if anyone has formed an opinion or thought process on this. But I suppose it is worth reserving some judgement until Naholo has more match time under his belt.

Last edited:
If we concede any tries in this game, I will be very concerned, Georgia are resting their star players, so I expect us to keep them try-less..

So not really in terms of this match, but who do we think would be a regular in the 14 jersey after the World Cup? Assuming Julian Savea finds some form and retains his 11 position. Hansen seems to be a massive Naholo fan (and for good reason), but Skudder obviously warrants selection based on form and carrying that over into the RC. Still not totally sold on Skudder's tackling ability but whatever.

If there were just one spot left open in winger position, who would you go for? I know it's hard to judge because Naholo hasn't played much international footy. The only thing I can think of is Skudder might be better as an impact player off the bench, and guys who are pretty versatile usually find their way on there. Just curious if anyone has formed an opinion or thought process on this. But I suppose it is worth reserving some judgement until Naholo has more match time under his belt.

Yup, that's the biggest question mark I have over this team. And I've heard several discussions on that on radio sport.

The consensus was that Naholo and Savea are the "incumbents" and that Hansen and co. are pretty solid on keeping with the incumbents unless there is real solid evidence that someone else has genuinely overtaken them.

Now, incumbent might seem a strange word to use for a 60 minute All Black, but he was the first pick wing at the start of the season and I think that is what they are going with.

So because of that I think they will go with Savea and Naholo as long as Naholo is fit and comes through the Georgia game well, and so long as they continue to see improvements in Savea. He did show signs of improvement in the last game. If Savea gets selected for the Georgia game that would settle it for me. If they go with NMS then one would have to assume they believe he has overtaken Savea.

On NMS, I think his D is pretty good. He has a league back-ground and his preferred position in Union is fullback so he can hold his own. H'e a little small though to handle the big guys., but hopefully tackling technique will sort that out. I don't think there is a spot on the bench for Skudder though - I just can't see how they could fit him in. TKB & Barrett have 2 spots locked down, and unless there is a major shift and SBW starts? then SBW has the 3rd back spot on the bench.

As for who I would pick? Well, I think the ABs know what they are doing, so if they pick Savea it will be because he is training well. If that is the case then I would pick him as well. The other spot goes to Naholo IF he is 100% - if not then NMS.

So now we have the minnows Georgia playing their B team against the AB's.
I don't envy Steve Hansen in trying to prepare his team for the intensity of that game that is coming in the 1/4 final.

I don't envy Steve Hansen in trying to prepare his team for the intensity of that game that is coming in the 1/4 final.

Yep.. At least Tonga will be up for it.

Have they named their side?

You would think playing vs the AB's would be the Georgians best preparation for their final game. They would be "battle hardened" and gained valuable experience. Also it's a great opportunity for their star players, I doubt they would want to miss the chance of playing vs the All Blacks.

You would think playing vs the AB's would be the Georgians best preparation for their final game. They would be "battle hardened" and gained valuable experience. Also it's a great opportunity for their star players, I doubt they would want to miss the chance of playing vs the All Blacks.

Not when it's a 5 day turn around. Think about it, even at the best of times 5 days is tough, but with all due respect to Georgia, against the ABs, all they are going to be doing is running and tackling their hearts out. If the ABs are anything close to their best they will run Georgia into the ground. Far from ideal preparation for the biggest game of their tournament in 5 days time.

I get what you are saying though, if it were a 7 day + turn around then by all means.

Not when it's a 5 day turn around. Think about it, even at the best of times 5 days is tough, but with all due respect to Georgia, against the ABs, all they are going to be doing is running and tackling their hearts out. If the ABs are anything close to their best they will run Georgia into the ground. Far from ideal preparation for the biggest game of their tournament in 5 days time.

100%. Pragmatism rules.

I don't think anyone truly expected them to beat Tonga, which was their first ever win at a RWC. It would be a shame for them waste this opportunity. They would feel great about their tournament if they ended it knowing that they are already in for 2019.

no, i start with the fact i am a big ben smith fan, we need to remember he's 29 so although still has years left in him hes not at the start of his career. I actually see NMS as being pretty devastating from fullback in the next couple of years, SMith was never electric quick and you can imagine he's only going to slow in the coming years. can you imagine NMS bursting into the line and feeding naholo / savea

Latest posts