• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

2014 Super Rugby Final: Waratahs v Crusaders

always a first ;)

it's true, it's so very true...I remember my first...well actually I barely do, but just for the sake of this reply, you know.

Allez les Waratahs !!! Well honestly they're both beautiful teams and I enjoy watching one just as much as the other. And the other just as much as the one (God, such eloquence...). But I'm biased as I'm randomly generally pro-Aussie. I think I just like the blue they wear, but I'll never admit it's something that ridiculously petty of course.

it's true, it's so very true...I remember my first...well actually I barely do, but just for the sake of this reply, you know.

Allez les Waratahs !!! Well honestly they're both beautiful teams and I enjoy watching one just as much as the other. And the other just as much as the one (God, such eloquence...). But I'm biased as I'm randomly generally pro-Aussie. I think I just like the blue they wear, but I'll never admit it's something that ridiculously petty of course.
as i always believe scotland could beat the all blacks one day

It's time to BELIEVE:

Last edited by a moderator:
Game day. Finally. Not sure exactly how I'm going to fill in the next 9 hours!

I'm picking this will be a cracking final. The Crusaders look to have an edge up front. The Waratahs have a good forward pack, but the Crusaders will definitely look to target them at scrum time, and in the lineout in particular. The Crusaders have 3 superb lineout jumpers (Read, Bird, and Whitelock), while the Waratahs are perhaps a bit short of lineout options. Their best lineout option this season has been Dennis, but he is out injured. Douglas, Hoiles, and Potgieter are all solid options, but not in the same class as the Crusaders jumpers, and Polota-Nau can be a bit erratic at lineout time.

The battle in the loose will be interesting, but again I feel the Crusaders have an advantage here. As well as Todd has played all season Hooper is even better, but I think Todd will get a lot more support at the breakdown than Hooper (the Crusaders do have some guy called McCaw at 6). Read is starting to look like he is back to his best too, which is a scary thought for any opposition side!

I reckon the halves are pretty evenly matched. Neither halfback have a great passing game, but I would take Ellis's excellent kicking game and tactical nous over Phipps's outstanding work-rate and quality cover defense. Slade has been pretty good this season, but he certainly doesn't offer the same creativity as Foley. I'm not sure who I favour in the midfield. The Waratahs are more creative (courtesy of Beale), but Carter is a pretty handy rugby player...

Dagg has started to show some form, but the Waratahs do have a clear edge at fullback, and though Horne is perhaps a bit limited on the wing he is certainly a far better winger than Fonotia. Nadolo is undoubtedly the Crusaders biggest attacking weapon, and it will be interesting to see how the Waratahs attempt to contain him....

Goal-kicking could be crucial this match. Usually I would back the side with Dan Carter in this regard, but he has been rather erratic since his return...

Overall I'm picking it to be a tight match, but I'm picking the Crusaders to pull off the upset (I assume the Waratahs will start as slight favourites given their home advantage / excellent season). I think the Crusaders should have a good advantage up front, and I think the Crusaders style of attacking out-wide could be quite effective against the Waratahs (who are probably at their weakest defending out there), and the Crusaders tactical kicking game could cause Folau some issues. I'm picking the Crusaders by 5.

Brilliant Waratahs try! They are on fire at the moment.

The ref may need to get his eyes checked - that was knocked forward about 20m by a Waratahs player!

Brilliant reply by the Crusaders! Now we have a game.

Latest posts