• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

2014 Super Rugby: Crusaders vs Sharks (Round 14)

Super Rugby would die with just SA and NZ. The TV dollars it brings in are already chicken feed in reality, so removing NZ's only viewable time slot partner would kill the revenue there in particular.

The time slot differences are not insurmountable.

Games played at night in NZ and SA are early morning viewable in each other's countries. I often get up at 6am to watch night games from SA, but I just MySky their daytime ones as they are on about 2-3am here.

Aussies should remember that the NZRU saved their sorry arses back in the 1970's and 80's when the game was almost gone from the wide-brown land through no money in the game. poor support and the fact that no-one wanted to play them.

What's your point? Australian participation in a comp with NZ would still be economically beneficial to the NZRU given the higher proportion of monetizable TV hours. You don't get that playing in SA

I agree here; I think NZ-Aus should carry on Super Rugby with Japan and the PIs
SA can join England. Frankly I think it would bring back some of the mystique that has been missing from the NZ-SA clashes since the whole Tri-Nations concept was launched. Familiarity breeds contempt and all that....

We do not want them........the answer to the familiarity is to have much less "Test" rugby all around.........not shoevl them on to us for us to get up close and personal with 'em!!

The point is this whole argument means absolutely zip.
Who signed up for the new agreement? Was it maybe, just maybe the current Aus and NZ rugby Union presidents?
So one has to be in agreement to sign or be so forced that if you don't rugby is doomed in your country.
Didn't hear any massive outcries from esp Aus on this...
Till then SA will not have the crazy traveling schedule in comparison as we did up to know, shutting up and just biting it for the better of the tournamnet.

This is signed and sealed till 2020 or close there somewhere. Come ***** again closer to the time.
By then SA will want to join a EU league as it just more bucks and we can play proper 3 year tours to NZ again.

I admit that when I go to a Blues game I want to be entertained and to me, personally, I like to see a fast game with the ball being played through the hands, big hits and big runs. At the same point, I love Rugby Union and in certain games a grinding forward battle is just an enthralling as flowing backline moves.

What I saw was a Sharks team, a team with a heap load of guts and balls playing 70 odd minutes away from home, in Christchurch, a man down, and win. I don't really care how they won, they ground out a tough result and deserve kudos, celebrations at the end said it all.

Was so dissapointed with the Saders, the minute that red card dropped they should have dropped the aimless tactical kicking garbage and actually run at the team a man down, stretch them and it would have opened up towards the end. Sumo has said it before on the TV, Dagg as a fullback wants nothing more to run, the massive bombs and kicking game is being coached into their game plan, however they just aren't doing it very well all the time! Just seems such a waste, to have all that flair in the team and play that way, and they seem so hit and miss at the minute.

As for the Super Rugby arguments, yes each country plays its own brand of rugby, they have their own fans with their own expectations in terms of how they want them to play. The competition, from a competitive and player progression stand point would be the worse without any of them, SA, AU or NZ.

What I saw was a Sharks team, a team with a heap load of guts and balls playing 70 odd minutes away from home, in Christchurch, a man down, and win. I don't really care how they won, they ground out a tough result and deserve kudos, celebrations at the end said it all.

Yeah, they really played a hell of a game. The Saders were off their game, for sure, but there is absolutely no reason that they shouldn't have had the win...except that the Sharks played the rugby, and the Saders didn't.

das

If was not just the fact we won with a man down for almost the entire game. The emotional celebrations were because these players have never beaten the Crusaders in Christchurch. They are our weak spot. We beat them only 5 times in 18 years and all of those were in Durban.

Latest posts