• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

2014 Super Rugby: Crusaders vs Sharks (Round 14)

Jaguares

International
TRF Legend
Country Flag
Argentina
Club or Nation
Argentina
140513053558455742.png

15- Tom Taylor
14- Johnny McNicholl
13- Rey Lee-Lo
12- Ryan Crotty (c)
11- Nemani Nadolo
10- Colin Slade
9- Willi Heinz
8- Luke Whitelock
7- Richie McCaw
6- Jordan Taufua
5- Sam Whitelock
4- Dominic Bird
3- Owen Franks
2- Corey Flynn
1- Wyatt Crockett
140513053557584847.png

140513053605313313.png

15 SP Marais
14 JP Pietersen
13 S'bura Sithole
12 Paul Jordaan
11 Lwazi Mvovo
10 Francois Steyn
9 Cobus Reinach
8 Willem Alberts
7 Jean Deysel
6 Tera Mtembu
5 Stephan Lewies
4 Etienne Oosthuizen
3 Jannie du Plessis
2 Bismarck du Plessis (c)
1 Tendai Mtawarira

Last edited:
I can't wait for this one ... hopefully the Crusaders will have Read back this week ... hard to see the Crusaders losing at home, given what they did to the Brumbies in their last home match, and the fact that Brumbies beat the Sharks last weekend.

I can't see the Sharks touching the Crusaders to be honest... Their defence is great, but the Saders attack is better. I'm picking at least a 20 point win for them.

Crusaders named - no Read again (concussion), no Dagg (knee) ... here's the team from the stuff website http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby/super-rugby/10048001/Kieran-Read-concussion-rules-All-Black-out

Crusaders: Tom Taylor, Johnny McNicholl, Rey Lee-Lo, Ryan Crotty (c), Nemani Nadolo, Colin Slade, Willi Heinz, Luke Whitelock, Richie McCaw, Jordan Taufua, Sam Whitelock, Dominic Bird, Owen Franks, Corey Flynn, Wyatt Crockett. Reserves: Ben Funnell, Tim Perry, Nepo Laulala, Jimmy Tupou, George Whitelock, Andy Ellis, Tyler Bleyendaal, Nafi Tuitavake.

... and here's the Sharks
http://www.planetrugby.com/story/0,25883,3824_9311370,00.html

Sharks:15 SP Marais, 14 JP Pietersen, 13 S'bura Sithole, 12 Paul Jordaan, 11 Lwazi Mvovo ,10 Francois Steyn, 9 Cobus Reinach, 8 Willem Alberts, 7 Jean Deysel, 6 Tera Mtembu, 5 Stephan Lewies, 4 Etienne Oosthuizen, 3 Jannie du Plessis, 2 Bismarck du Plessis, (c) 1 Tendai Mtawarira

Replacements:
16 Kyle Cooper, 17 Dale Chadwick, 18 Lourens Adriaanse, 19 Ryan Kankowski, 20 Keegan Daniel, 21 Charl McLeod, 22 Tim Swiel, 23 Heimar Williams

Last edited:
Read's continued absence is becoming a bit of a concern. Obviously they are being very cautious with him (which is great!), but I know from experience concussions can take a very long time to sort themselves out.....

Dagg hasn't been in great form, but I do think the Crusaders will miss him. He hasn't offered a lot with ball in hand but his positional sense is superb, as his ability under the high ball - two things I feel Taylor struggles with when he is used at fullback. Given the Sharks are probably going to do a lot of kicking Taylor will probably be severely tested. The Crusaders may actually be better dropping Slade back to fullback at times on defense, as Slade's fullback skills are far better than Taylor's in my opinion. Some teams like to hide their 10 at fullback on defense - this would be effectively the same except they would be hiding their fullback at 10 on defense (if that makes any sense....). The rest of the Crusaders side largely picks itself, though I see Heinz and Ellis have played swapsies at halfback again.

The Sharks are still missing a quality 10 which could be a massive factor in this match. Steyn has some good attributes - most notably a booming boot - but he doesn't have the slightest bit of subtlety about his game. The loose-forward make-up is interesting this week with Mtembu getting a start at 6 and Alberts at 8 (rather than lock). I do like the Sharks midfield an outside backs, but fear they won't see much quality ball with Steyn at 10....

I think the Crusaders should be too good this match - I'm picking them by 10-15.

Read's continued absence is becoming a bit of a concern. Obviously they are being very cautious with him (which is great!), but I know from experience concussions can take a very long time to sort themselves out.....

Dagg hasn't been in great form, but I do think the Crusaders will miss him. He hasn't offered a lot with ball in hand but his positional sense is superb, as his ability under the high ball - two things I feel Taylor struggles with when he is used at fullback. Given the Sharks are probably going to do a lot of kicking Taylor will probably be severely tested. The Crusaders may actually be better dropping Slade back to fullback at times on defense, as Slade's fullback skills are far better than Taylor's in my opinion. Some teams like to hide their 10 at fullback on defense - this would be effectively the same except they would be hiding their fullback at 10 on defense (if that makes any sense....). The rest of the Crusaders side largely picks itself, though I see Heinz and Ellis have played swapsies at halfback again.

The Sharks are still missing a quality 10 which could be a massive factor in this match. Steyn has some good attributes - most notably a booming boot - but he doesn't have the slightest bit of subtlety about his game. The loose-forward make-up is interesting this week with Mtembu getting a start at 6 and Alberts at 8 (rather than lock). I do like the Sharks midfield an outside backs, but fear they won't see much quality ball with Steyn at 10....

I think the Crusaders should be too good this match - I'm picking them by 10-15.

Just need to look at Ben Afeaki as an example. Hasn't played a match since Week 1 due to concussion :/

The Crusaders have won now 5 games in a row, it could just be the match to bring them a loss.

The Sharks starting 15 looks much better and is well balanced. Willem Alberts alone is a much improved change from lock to no. 8.

I think the game will be much closer as many predicts...

Sharks and the rest of the SA sides are going to get a hiding this weekend.

The Crusaders have won now 5 games in a row, it could just be the match to bring them a loss.

The Sharks starting 15 looks much better and is well balanced. Willem Alberts alone is a much improved change from lock to no. 8.

I think the game will be much closer as many predicts...

If the Sharks were playing at home, maybe... but they're not and they frankly looked incredibly poor in their loss to a Brumbies side that the Crusaders dismantled 40-20 only a couple weeks ago.

Ultimately the Sharks are too one-dimensional; they can't score tries, spend every game playing field position and trying to force penalties, and have benefitted heavily from a very cushy start to the season. In short, I think they're a lot higher on the ladder than they might otherwise be had they been forced to travel earlier.

The Shark pack with Alberts at 8 has a bit more bulk, however the injury to Marcell Coetzee has denied the Sharks of a true fetcher and another quick ball carrier who is able to link the forwards to the backs. I am surprised that Mtembu has been selected ahead of either Kanko or Daniel; unless it is Jake's intention to bring both of these guys on a true impact players and shift Alberts to lock in the last 20 minutes. With SP Marais back at 15 the back 3 has more pace and if JP Pietersen decides to actually play to his potential then it could be an enthralling match. Agree Steyn does not have the subtle or delicate finesse or silky skills of a traditional No.10 his physicality and educated boot may yet prove to be deceive. Iam not advocating that the Sharks will run away with this game; far from it, but they are capable of ruining the Sader's recent run of victories.

Steyn will do 5 skip passes and 3 of his grubbers will go over the dead ball line.
4 of his kicks out of hand will go directly into touch.
65% percent of his attacking play will be crush balls.

or

Steyn drew in 3 defenders twice and his skip pass let to two tries.
His well executed grubber kick led to Jordaans try.
Can any other player actually do a 70m kick for territory?
Who else can put a drop kick over from that distance and sink a 65m penalty with that ease.

What Steyn will turn up Saturday?

Got to admit, I'd feel a lot more comfortable with Read and Dagg at least on the bench

... Steyn must be looking forward to a break soon ... he's had a pretty full season so far

Saders look to be on rampant form at the moment, with the Sharks struggling to gel somewhat, personally I feel their problem is too many runners with not enough creativity in the side, 12-14 are players who excel with a creative player inside them which the Sharks don't have at the moment with their young fly-halves injured.

The fact that White is starting both Deysel and Alberts in the loose trio over Daniel and Kanko implies he agrees and will most likely stick to White style 10 man rugby. The Crusaders are clear favourites but if the Sharks manage to sucker the Crusaders into their game it could be a different story. It's not as simple as Saders > Brumbies > Sharks I'm affraid as the Brumbies are more tailored to beat the Sharks at their own game (and Steyn had an absolute shocker with countless knock-ons and an atrocious kicking display both off the tee and out of hand).

Saders should run away with it but Sharks might squeak an ugly win.

Will be hard for the Sharks to beat the Crusaders at home based on current form.

Even with Read and Dagg out they have plenty of depth.

Picking the Crusaders by 15.

I would never underestimate any side coached by J White. The amount of times the sharks have played the Saders in big games and lost kind of speaks for itself though.

Fantastic try by the Sharks - great run by Steyn to set it up. That was a massive hole in the Crusaders midfield though!

EDIT: Slade!! Where did that fend come from!?!?!?!

Last edited:
Deysel will get a red if the TMO sees this... Good work ref. Deysel can **** off back to South Africa.

It should have been a yellow not a red.

?????? You think stomping on someones head only deserves a yellow?

Unfortunately this will probably ruin the game as a contest...

Latest posts