• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

2014 Super Rugby: Blues v Crusaders (Round 3)

Slade should of started at 10. That mistake at the back earlier is one of the things that compounded the errors going on from the Crusaders. Tom Taylor should of been at 15.

I thought the only way the Blues could win was through Benji Marshall? ;)

Maybe not in this game but with those first fives they are running atm they are going nowhere in this competition. They cant expect to get easy try's and balls bouncing their way all season.

Slade should of started at 10. That mistake at the back earlier is one of the things that compounded the errors going on from the Crusaders. Tom Taylor should of been at 15.

I actually think Slade is slightly better at 15 than 10, whereas I don't rate Taylor at 15 (he is average at best under the high ball, and often gets caught out of position). Personally I would have Slade at 10 and Taylor at 12 (which I think is his best position).

Crusaders just can't get hold of the ball - the are Blues on fire!

Maybe not in this game but with those first fives they are running atm they are going nowhere in this competition. They cant expect to get easy try's and balls bouncing their way all season.

Hickey has looked pretty good so far on debut - if he keeps that up there is no reason he shouldn't be starting for the Blues every week (though I do rate Kerr).

Last edited:
I actually think Slade is slightly better at 15 than 10, whereas I don't rate Taylor at 15 (he is average at best under the high ball, and often gets caught out of position). Personally I would have Slade at 10 and Taylor at 12 (which I think is his best position).

No way Slade is the fourth best flyhalf in the country. He's twice the player of Taylor. Taylor is just a good goal kicker thats ALL.

No way Slade is the fourth best flyhalf in the country. He's twice the player of Taylor. Taylor is just a good goal kicker thats ALL.

It is not a matter of who is the better player (though I would prefer Taylor over Slade if I had to choose), it is matter of what is better for the Crusaders. Slade is a good 10, and a good fullback. Taylor is a good 10, but only an average fullback. It is a pretty easy decision in my opinion. I used to be a bit of a fan of Slade, but he has really only played a couple of good games in the 10 jersey in the last 3-4 years...

Crusaders pushing hard, but the Blues are resisting. Li just about scored a stunning intercept try there!

Last edited:
It is not a matter of who is the better player (though I would prefer Taylor over Slade if I had to choose), it is matter of what is better for the Crusaders. Slade is a good 10, and good fullback. Taylor is a good 10, but only and average fullback. It is a pretty easy decision in my opinion.....

Only if the Crusaders are playing a game plan like they are tonight where they dont need a flyhalf....

Hickey has looked pretty good so far on debut - if he keeps that up there is no reason he shouldn't be starting for the Blues every week (though I do rate Kerr).

I absolutely agree! Despite throwing a falcon in his skippers face hes done nothing wrong and alot right

Try Crotty. Too Little, too late?

Good offload by Dagg.

Wow this is a retarded Crusaders team? Why did they kick for touch? 5 minutes left need to score twice.... you've got to quick tap and attack. Blackadder needs a kick up the ass. So two weeks in a row with no points? Glad im supporting the Highlanders and Cheifs......

Game over. 35-24. Blues will be happy. Crusaders not so much ;)

Crusaders have been dire this year. Good in the set pieces, not so good in the loose, and lacking imagination in the backs. They could easily have won borth of these first two matches given the possessions and territory they had, and the dominance of their set piece.

The only way is up.

Hard to know exactly what can be read into this match. The Crusaders looked completely in control for the first 30 mins, then the Blues scored a couple of long range tries and completely took over. The Crusaders very un-Crusader like for that 40 minutes period, making numerous unforced errors, and strange tactical decisions (they seemed obsessed with running it out of their own 22 at one stage).

I thought Tuipolotu had a storming game for the Blues. It is far too early yet, but he may develop into the powerful ball running lock that the AB's are after (I'm not convinced Romano is the answer). Donnelly had his best game in some time, while Mealamu and Woodcock made a good impact when they came on. The loose-forwards were pretty quiet, but generally did a solid job. Weepu started poorly but looked better as the game went on. I thought Hickey was excellent on debut - he didn't have that much to do but he kicked well at goal, made his tackles, and took the ball well to the line when required. Willison was solid, while Moala added some real punch to the midfield. Halai, Li, and Piutau were all very dangerous - the Blues just need to keep giving them the ball!

Hard to identify too many standouts for the Crusaders. Perry was pretty good at LH, while Flynn was solid at hooker (and scored a very good try). Sam Whitelock was excellent as was Read, but the rest of the forward pack was pretty quiet. As I mentioned before Ellis was everywhere,, but made quite a few errors - I wonder whether we will see Heinz start next weekend? Taylor was solid at 10, but struggled to really get the backline firing. Crotty was probably the standout Crusaders player for me. He is rock solid in defense, but his running game has flourished in the last year. Tuitavake was the only Crusaders outside back that was remotely dangerous - he didn't get many chances though. Thomson looked out of his depth at this level - he looked lost under the high ball, and his handling was poor. Perhaps we will see Guildford back next week? Slade was good under the high ball, but his defense was poor, and he made some errors at the back.

I didn't get to watch the game because I really had to sleep last night, but I left the channel on, and woke up part way through the game. Not sure what minute it was, but the score told me all I needed to know, and I went right back to sleep. :p

'Saders had a rough start last year, too. Hopefully they'll snap out of their early season slump soon!

das

I didn't get to watch the game because I really had to sleep last night, but I left the channel on, and woke up part way through the game. Not sure what minute it was, but the score told me all I needed to know, and I went right back to sleep. :p

'Saders had a rough start last year, too. Hopefully they'll snap out of their early season slump soon!

das

It will go one of two ways they will snap out of it or they will have a Highlanders shocker like last year. The way they played today for 50minutes looking devoid of any training or will to win things look pretty bad to me. Next week will be interesting to see if they snap out of it.

So apparently Mccaw has a broken thumb? Thats why he was replaced at half time?

He's probably just making it up as an excuse for missing those two tackles ;)

It will go one of two ways they will snap out of it or they will have a Highlanders shocker like last year. The way they played today for 50minutes looking devoid of any training or will to win things look pretty bad to me. Next week will be interesting to see if they snap out of it.

The Crusaders have started poorly (again), but I don't think they will be overly worried. They have proven time and time again that they get better as the season progresses. Everyone wrote them off after they got hammered by the Blues at the start of last season too, but predictably they made the playoffs (and were only a point or 2 away from making the final). For the first 30 mins against the Blues they played some excellent rugby, and the dominated a lot of the game versus the Chiefs (but lacked any clinical finishing). They need to decide on their best 15 and stick with it for a few weeks. I think they to bring the likes of Guildford and McNicholl into their starting lineup - guys with genuine pace who know their way to the tryline. The Crusaders have the Stormers in Christchurch next weekend - I expect to see a much improved performance then.

The Crusaders have started poorly (again), but I don't think they will be overly worried. They have proven time and time again that they get better as the season progresses. Everyone wrote them off after they got hammered by the Blues at the start of last season too, but predictably they made the playoffs (and were only a point or 2 away from making the final). For the first 30 mins against the Blues they played some excellent rugby, and the dominated a lot of the game versus the Chiefs (but lacked any clinical finishing). They need to decide on their best 15 and stick with it for a few weeks. I think they to bring the likes of Guildford and McNicholl into their starting lineup - guys with genuine pace who know their way to the tryline. The Crusaders have the Stormers in Christchurch next weekend - I expect to see a much improved performance then.

THIS!

They missed the playoffs in the inaugural 1996 season, missed them again the next year, and in 2001 when no NZ teams made it. They have not missed them since.

Latest posts