• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

2014 Super Rugby: Blues v Crusaders (Round 3)

TRF Mr Fish

Your Piscine Overlord
TRF Legend
Country Flag
New Zealand
Super%20Rugby.png

Round 3 - Auckland
Eden Park
Friday 28/02/14 at 7:35PM
Blues.png
Versus%20Super.png
Crusaders.png

[TABLE="width: 300, align: center"]
<tbody>[TR]
[TD="align: right"]|-------Blues[/TD]
[TD][/TD]
[TD="align: left"]Crusaders--|[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="align: right"]Prattley[/TD]
[TD]1[/TD]
[TD="align: left"]Perry[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="align: right"]Parsons[/TD]
[TD]2[/TD]
[TD="align: left"]Flynn[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="align: right"]Faumuina[/TD]
[TD]3[/TD]
[TD="align: left"]Franks[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="align: right"]Tuipulotu[/TD]
[TD]4[/TD]
[TD="align: left"]Bird[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="align: right"]Donnelly[/TD]
[TD]5[/TD]
[TD="align: left"]Whitelock[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="align: right"]Luatua[/TD]
[TD]6[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="align: right"]Braid[/TD]
[TD]7[/TD]
[TD="align: left"]McCaw[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="align: right"]Saili[/TD]
[TD]8[/TD]
[TD="align: left"]Read[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="align: right"]Weepu[/TD]
[TD]9[/TD]
[TD="align: left"]Ellis[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="align: right"]Hickey[/TD]
[TD]10[/TD]
[TD="align: left"]Taylor[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="align: right"]Li[/TD]
[TD]11[/TD]
[TD="align: left"]Tuitavake[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="align: right"]Willison[/TD]
[TD]12[/TD]
[TD="align: left"]Crotty[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="align: right"]Moala[/TD]
[TD]13[/TD]
[TD="align: left"]Lee-Lo[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="align: right"]Halai[/TD]
[TD]14[/TD]
[TD="align: left"]Thomson[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="align: right"]Piutau[/TD]
[TD]15[/TD]
[TD="align: left"]Slade[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="align: right"]Mealamu[/TD]
[TD]16[/TD]
[TD="align: left"]Funnell[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="align: right"]Woodcock[/TD]
[TD]17[/TD]
[TD="align: left"]Crockett[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="align: right"]Ta'avao[/TD]
[TD]18[/TD]
[TD="align: left"]Laulala[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="align: right"]Moli[/TD]
[TD]19[/TD]
[TD="align: left"]Romano[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="align: right"]O'Connor[/TD]
[TD]20[/TD]
[TD="align: left"]Todd[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="align: right"]Hall[/TD]
[TD]21[/TD]
[TD="align: left"]Heinz[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="align: right"]Marshall[/TD]
[TD]22[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="align: right"]Ahki[/TD]
[TD]23[/TD]
[TD="align: left"]Dagg[/TD]
[/TR]
</tbody>[/TABLE]

Last edited:
I expect the Saders to won this. After last week defeat they should be really desperate for a victory.

Bad news for the Blues, with Francis Saili out with a foot injury (which will probably see him miss 5-6 weeks). With Nonu still out I would imagine Willison will shift into 12, with Moala shifting in one spot to centre. Pita Ahki is the only other midfielder in the squad but I don't think they would risk starting him (he may be a bench option though). That would mean one of Visinia, Li, or Nikoro would start on the wing - Li is only in the WTG but probably has the inside running as he was on the bench against the Highlanders. Luke Braid looks like will miss the match too, and he will be a big loss (O'Connor is a solid replacement, but not at Braid's level).

Not sure how many other changes to expect for the Blues. Mealamu and Woodcock are expected back this week - I would expect Woodcock to start, but Mealamu might be on the bench. Kaino is now with the team, but isn't expected to be involved in the playing side for a few weeks. Though many people want Benji to start at 10 it looks like Noakes will start again this week. I would like to see Tuipolotu start ahead of Moli, but I suspect Moli will be given another start.

Blues are going to get absolutely pumped.

I'm a Blues fan, but this rabble just look terrible.
I could not see any sign of a game plan last week, and the lack of intensity is just awful.

Excellent article by Wynne Gray (once again) today:
http://www.nzherald.co.nz/rugby/news/article.cfm?c_id=80&objectid=11209156

Hate to sound negative (and i'll be stoked if i'm proved wrong) but I just can't see this group getting their act together any time soon.
I honestly don't want to head to Eden Park on friday night (I will because i'm taking family from Wales to the rugby) because I think it is going to be embarassing to be a Blues fan that night.

I feel that Crusaders are going to crush to Blues, perhaps by + 30

What about Keven Mealamu? When he returns?

I think it might be a bit closer than many people think, but I'll go with my Crusaders ... I think (or hope) that Kieran Read will be the difference between the two teams

I feel that Crusaders are going to crush to Blues, perhaps by + 30

Jeepers...BIG call there mate (and the teams haven't even been named yet).

So you think the Crusaders are that good or the Blues are that bad... or both??

Abs2011,

Blues are that bad, and the Crusaders are still a quality side (even without Carter and McCaw)

The thing that disappoints me the most is the attitude of the players. Especially the senior players.
Mealamu and Woodcock not fronting last week (and maybe this week), Kaino in the country but not playing til after the team return from SA.
Nonu... ok, I know he has been injured, but given the lifeline the Blues have thrown him; if he performs to his usual Superrugby standards, he should be cut by the Blues.
Weepu... well he was invisible last week.

So disappointing, and I often wonder what Fitzy, Zinzan etc would make of the attitudes of these representatives from Auckland.
Their attitude was: Nothing but the best is good enough.

It seems to me that this current team just think it's enough to turn up.

Crusaders squad: Colin Slade, Rob Thompson, Reynold Lee-Lo, Ryan Crotty, Nafi Tuitavake, Tom Taylor, Andy Ellis, Kieran Read (c), Richie McCaw, George Whitelock, Sam Whitelock, Dominic Bird, Owen Franks, Corey Flynn, Tim Perry. Reserves: Ben Funnell, Wyatt Crockett, Nepo Laulala, Luke Romano, Matt Todd, Willi Heinz, Adam Whitelock, Israel Dagg.

Dagg, McNicholl, Bleyendaal and Luke Whitelock have all been dropped, with Dagg taking a spot on the bench and the rest dropping out of the squad altogether. McCaw is fit, and Read is back from injury.

Abs2011,

Blues are that bad, and the Crusaders are still a quality side (even without Carter and McCaw)

The thing that disappoints me the most is the attitude of the players. Especially the senior players.
Mealamu and Woodcock not fronting last week (and maybe this week), Kaino in the country but not playing til after the team return from SA.
Nonu... ok, I know he has been injured, but given the lifeline the Blues have thrown him; if he performs to his usual Superrugby standards, he should be cut by the Blues.
Weepu... well he was invisible last week.

So disappointing, and I often wonder what Fitzy, Zinzan etc would make of the attitudes of these representatives from Auckland.
Their attitude was: Nothing but the best is good enough.

It seems to me that this current team just think it's enough to turn up.

You guys should tell the TAB (they have the Crusaders as only 3.5 point favourites). Better yet you should head down there, you could get better than 2 to 1 and only have to win by 13. Money in the bank...right??

By the way, I should add a footnote to say I do agree with you to an extent that the Crusaders should be too much for the Blues, and I will be putting my money where my mouth is. I'm just not sure I share both of your confidence that it will be by a 30+ point margin.

I feel more confident with this pick given Blackadder's team selection. That is a rocket under the Crusaders if ever I've seen one! That's some pretty heavy handed changes! and of course you have McCaw being passed fit, not to mention the best player in world rugby is back in the starting line up :) Add to that one would expect the Blues to not be able to make that many changes and Saili out is a huge blow for them!

I will (subject to the Blues side) suggest Crusaders by a slightly more conservative 10+ :)

The blues will be really

Last edited:
Wow, a bit out of the blue, it looks like Simon Hickey will be starting at 10 against the Crusaders in place of Noakes.

Blues: Charles Piutau, Frank Halai, George Moala, Jackson Willison, Tevita Li, Simon Hickey, Piri Weepu, Peter Saili, Luke Braid/Brendon O'Connor, Steven Luatua, Tom Donnelly, Patrick Tuipulotu, Charlie Faumuina, James Parsons, Sam Prattley. Reserves: Keven Mealamu, Tony Woodcock, Angus Ta'avao, Liaki Moli, O'Connor/Jordan Manihera, Bryn Hall, Benji Marshall, Pita Ahki.

Noakes drops out of the side altogether, Li comes in as a replacement for the injured Francis Saili (with Moala moving in to centre) and Brendan O'Connor will do the same for Braid if he isn't able to play. Tuipulotu and Moli swap places while Sam Prattley gets his first start for the Blues in place of Tu'ungafasi. Mealamu and Woodcock are both on the bench.

Last edited:
Was there any commentary on Braid? How likely he is to play etc??

Is Baden Kerr injured? Maybe they should try out Piutau at first five some time, cause we have no other good first fives. Marshall was good on attack last week, but he lacks the kicking game needed for 10 and 15. Maybe 12 is the spot for him, its worth having him there . The Blues would be better having Ben Lam and Stowers there instead of any of the wingers they have now. They messed up giving Ben Lam to the sevens

Is Baden Kerr injured? Maybe they should try out Piutau at first five some time, cause we have no other good first fives. Marshall was good on attack last week, but he lacks the kicking game needed for 10 and 15. Maybe 12 is the spot for him, its worth having him there . The Blues would be better having Ben Lam and Stowers there instead of any of the wingers they have now. They messed up giving Ben Lam to the sevens

Kerr is indeed out, though he's due back in the next week or two...

Wow, a bit out of the blue, it looks like Simon Hickey will be starting at 10 against the Crusaders in place of Noakes.

Blues: Charles Piutau, Frank Halai, George Moala, Jackson Willison, Tevita Li, Simon Hickey, Piri Weepu, Peter Saili, Luke Braid/Brendon O'Connor, Steven Luatua, Tom Donnelly, Patrick Tuipulotu, Charlie Faumuina, James Parsons, Sam Prattley. Reserves: Keven Mealamu, Tony Woodcock, Angus Ta'avao, Liaki Moli, O'Connor/Jordan Manihera, Bryn Hall, Benji Marshall, Pita Ahki.

Noakes drops out of the side altogether, Li comes in as a replacement for the injured Francis Saili (with Moala moving in to centre) and Brendan O'Connor will do the same for Braid if he isn't able to play. Tuipulotu and Moli swap places while Sam Prattley gets his first start for the Blues in place of Tu'ungafasi. Mealamu and Woodcock are both on the bench.

:lol: I love a good pun.....

Anyways.... a couple of interesting selections for the Blues. Probably not too surprising that they are easing the old men in the front row into action from the bench. Tu'ungafasi did a solid job last weekend, but Prattley is still probably the better LH prop (mainly because Tu'ugafasi is much better on the TH side). Glad to see Tuipolotu given a chance in the starting lineup - I felt he really lifted the Blues last weekend with his powerful ball running. Hopefully (for the Blues sake) Braid is fit.

I'm slightly surprised to see Hickey at 10, but I actually don't mind his selection at all. He is probably not quite ready for Super Rugby yet (he has only just turned 20), but already I think he is at least as good as Noakes, and has the potential to be much better. He isn't afraid to take the line on, is a pretty good goal-kicker, and despite his lack of size is a pretty solid defender (far better than Noakes!). He still makes a few too many errors and needs to work on how to control the game, but he has all the tools to be a very good Super Rugby player. No surprise to see Moala into centre and Li coming in on the wing. It will certainly be a massive test for Li, but it is exciting to see him given a shot.

A couple of very interesting selections by the Crusaders too. Surprised to see Perry starting ahead of Crockett on the LH side again, and I would have thought Romano would have started ahead of Bird this week given the strong impact he made off the bench in the last match. Good to see Read back, but personally I would have found room for Todd in the starting lineup (with McCaw shifting to 6).

No surprise to see Bleyendaal dropped, but I was expecting Slade at 10, Taylor at 12, and Crotty at 13. I'm actually glad they have maintained Lee Lo in the midfield though as he had a strong game against the Chiefs, and I'm not unhappy to see Dagg dropped to the bench as his poor display (I am surprised to see it though). I'm a bit disappointed to see McNicholl dropped from the 23 as I think he could be very good at this level, but he did have a shocker against the Chiefs so probably deserves to be dropped. Rob Thompson is an interesting selection - he came down from Manawatu to Canterbury last season as a midfield back but ended up getting a few games covering wing off the bench. He played so well he got a couple of starts on the wing, and then got a Crusaders WTG spot. I'm sure 99.9% of the NZ rugby public had never heard of this guy this time last season, so it is a pretty meteoric rise for him. I'm not sure whether he really has enough pace for the wing, but he is a big strong guy, and does seem to know his way to the try line.

I don't think the Blues will have to resort to playing Piutau at 10, but they are certainly crying out for a quality 10 (I believe Kerr is the answer, but time will tell). While I do agree Lam and Stowers are both good enough for Super Rugby I don't think they are really any better than the starting Blues wings. Though I do think Frank Halai is a tad over-rated he debuted for the AB's at the end of last season and had a good season for the Blues last year. Li is perhaps a bit of an unknown at this level, but he is a freakish talent (he is still 18!). He seems to be able to break tackles at will - there may still be a few question marks over his defense and ability to read the game, but these are things I believe he will pick up pretty quickly. Behind those two the Blues also have Moala (who is playing at centre) who I consider as the Blues best wing, along with Visinia who is also young and very talented. In any case I think the Blues have far more worries than who they have on the wing....