• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Wales v England

Jon the Fox is set to return at the same time as Super Gav and a week after Cheesey Jamie. Suddenly we've got quite a few centre options. Hook to 10 ASAP, Ospreys, Wales need him there!
USAP, surely?

Hook to 10 ASAP, Ospreys, Wales need him there!

Hooky might be at 15 if Byrne continues to **** everybody off. Stephen should be back from injury for the opener, but it depends on his form. Hook should be playing 10, but who knows with Warren.

Hooky might be at 15 if Byrne continues to **** everybody off. Stephen should be back from injury for the opener, but it depends on his form. Hook should be playing 10, but who knows with Warren.

If Hook was seen to be good enough to play 10 for Wales he would have had some form of gametime there during the AI's!

If Hook was seen to be good enough to play 10 for Wales he would have had some form of gametime there during the AI's!

Except that he was covering 12/13. A Shanklin/Bishop midfield pairing would have failed. There had to be some creativity. He outplayed Stephen Jones in 2008 and certainly an equal, if not better standoff.

Except that he was covering 12/13. A Shanklin/Bishop midfield pairing would have failed. There had to be some creativity. He outplayed Stephen Jones in 2008 and certainly an equal, if not better standoff.

Gwyn Jones and John Davies both mentioned the same thing as I have done on TV / Newpapers. Both said that if Hook was considered to play 10 for Wales he would have done by Gatland. Both Jones and Davies hinted that his decision making is not quick enough to play 10 for Wales.

Gwyn Jones and John Davies both mentioned the same thing as I have done on TV / Newpapers. Both said that if Hook was considered to play 10 for Wales he would have done by Gatland. Both Jones and Davies hinted that his decision making is not quick enough to play 10 for Wales.

I didn't even know Stephen made decisions. Stephen hardly seems to create anything on the field, and is only 'reliable'. Don't get me wrong, he has been good for Wales, but never a real creative player. James and Stephen are both different 10's. In 2005, Peel and Jones were a great halfback pairing, while 2008 was made possible by Phillips and Hook. Phillips and Jones just have different ways of playing which don't work together. Now for a real 10...
Jason%20Tovey%201%20WEB.jpg

For me Tovey is our best option behind Jones. But when will Gatland feature him? Just feel he gets some form and then gets injured. Just so disappointed for him.

On current form Hook at 10 would be a disaster, he's been pretty poor for Ospreys since the AIs, and if he carried that to FH, where he'd be the most influential on the Ospreys attacking game, it wouldn't end well

On current form Hook at 10 would be a disaster, he's been pretty poor for Ospreys since the AIs, and if he carried that to FH, where he'd be the most influential on the Ospreys attacking game, it wouldn't end well

That has more to do with Scott Johnson playing Hook out of position for two seasons. You can't expect a 10 to play 12 flawlessly and then go back to 10. So you're right, Hook can't play 10 for Wales unless he does so at club level, which he will do for USAP/Bath/Toulouse...

Good point, but Hooks played very well at 12/13 in the past, it's just he's gone off the boil recently

thisissouthwales.co.uk
James Hook set for some time at fly-half for Ospreys over Christmas

JAMES Hook could be poised for a rare appearance at No. 10 over the festive period.

The 25-year-old Osprey hasn't started a match at fly-half since the Magners League defeat by Leinster in Swansea 15 months and 42 games ago.

But the region say he will either start a match or at least have game-time in the role over Christmas.

"We may need to use James at No. 10 at some point in the games coming up," revealed coach Sean Holley.
Click here for more

Class

"He and Dan Biggar are the only fly-halves we have in the squad we have been using for European matches, so we want to make sure James has some airtime in the role, just in case Dan picks up a bump.

"We are not too bothered that James hasn't started in the role for a while.

"He runs a lot there in training and last weekend we played a lot off him as a second receiver.

"He is a class act who is adaptable enough to fit in comfortably.

"And there is also the fact that he played so much at fly-half early on his career that a lot of the skills are hard-wired into his game."

Controls

Hook wore the No. 10 shirt twice for the Lions on their tour of South Africa last year but he hasn't appeared there for Wales since the Six Nations game with Italy in Rome in March 2009.

Yet he showed against London Irish in the Heineken Cup in the autumn that he could take over the controls without too much fuss when he switched for 37 minutes after Biggar left the field injured.

"We see them as complementary players," said Holley.

"Dan gives us consistency, a quality which should never be underestimated. But everyone knows what James Hook can do as well.

"And together they have been good for us.

"James was excellent against Munster last weekend, showing some classy touches. He really stepped up."

The Ospreys face the Scarlets at the Liberty on Sunday, prior to taking on the Blues in Cardiff on New Year's Eve.

Hook's possible involvement at fly-half will intrigue many.

"The romantic in me would like to see him playing there again," said Evening Post columnist Phil Bennett.

"I have a lot of time for Dan Biggar but it makes sense for the Ospreys to want to give James time in the role as well, because injuries happen."

MARK ORDERS

10 Hook
12 Henson
13 North
15 Roberts
Would certainly be an interisting combo, with a load of potential, no idea if it'd work though. If it did click it'd be immense

10 Hook
12 Henson
13 North
15 Roberts
Would certainly be an interisting combo, with a load of potential, no idea if it'd work though. If it did click it'd be immense

Id swap North and Roberts around personally if that was the combo to go with.

I can't wait to this backline:

9. Phillips
10. Hook
11. Shane
12. Henson
13. Roberts
14. Halfpenny
15. Byrne

Pphhwooooaaaaarrrrr!

...Then Davies and North to come off the bench with 20 to go and rip up any shreads of opposition defence not carved up by Hook & Gav. Just the thought makes me excited.

Shame Richie Rees will probably miss this game if found guilty, as his more high-tempo style would suit a Hook/Henson/Roberts combo, although we'll have to wait and see.

I bet Gatland's had a hand in Hook's move back to 10. Probably wouldn't have happened if Stephen wasn't injured.

You guys are crazy, Stephen Jones is an outstanding ten and to replace him with Hook would be lunacy. All Wales need from their ten is some with good distribution skills, a semi decent running game, a good kicking game and consistancy. The centres and outside backs should be able to do the rest. Jones forever.

9. Phillips
10. Hook
11. Shane
12. Henson
13. Roberts
14. Halfpenny
15. Byrne

Pphhwooooaaaaarrrrr!

I guess Hook's a good solid option at 10 if Stephen Jones is injured ... I think the Welsh back line really functions well when one starts at 10 and other subs on in the 10 position to close out a match

... Who's the guy you've got in the 12 jersey - someone new :D

Could be an even better back line with North coming on as a replacement off the bench too

But it can't happen! When was the last time Wales were allowed to field a full, non-injured team?
If Rees is out, then its either Roberts or Knoyle, it depends on the style we want to play.

9. Phillips
10. Hook
11. Shane
12. Henson
13. Roberts
14. Halfpenny
15. Byrne

Pphhwooooaaaaarrrrr!

I think that Hook has about a 25% chance of getting the 10 spot for Wales. Jones plays great there and never has a bad game.

Latest posts