• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Wales v England

Dodgy tackle on Flood
Was an accidental spear tackle, but Flood landed badly on his head/neck and was subbed off soon after

I don't think Lydiate will get cited. As you said Olyy, it was accidental. Both commentators didn't think it was penalty or yellow. I think Davies could face a week or two ban. From the replay, it looked like he stuck out his foot as a reaction, but knew he shouldn't have done it straight after. The look on his face was of horror that he'd be spending 10 mins in the bin. The ball had obviously been collected by Ashton, so I think his excuse of trying to kick the ball is just that, an excuse to try and get off the hook. We'll see...

Stephen Jones was clearly not in the game after that hit and should have come off.

Phillips is absolute dogshite, and last night proved he needs some gametime under his belt.

Roberts I don't think is 100% fit and there are grumblings he was injured for the last 20 mins of the game.

Powell I felt had his use last night, he did kick that ball down the wing, it was his only option and had it bounced the other way then it would have been an English lineout close to their tryline. He also straightened the attack when we went to lateral, something we did far to often last night.

The reason why we are not clicking because Gatland's game plan does not suite the players he selects to starts with. England had a basic plan and did it well. The only problem for England was the Hape-Tindall ... they were not at the races.

Where Wales ... well have a few issues, id look to play Paul James at 3 now despite me saying lets not, Mitchell did well mind, and play Duncan Jones at 1. Ryan Jones was a better option at 8, when he came on you could see when he came on off the bench he had a look of determination in his face. Peel needs to start at 9 with Knoyle on the bench, Phillips just needs to be sent back to the Ospreys to get some gametime. Stephen Jones was most definitely concussed from that hit from Foden, he did not know where he was, I was not impressed with Hook at 10, but would play him at 13 opposite Jon Davies. Still not sold on Stoddart, he scored the try but almost ballsed it up, and just felt with that cross field kick he should have done better and caught it.

Time will tell, Wales biggest problem is giving Gatland a 4 year deal after the World Cup.

Yeh, I think Jones was probably concussed. I also agree that Hook didn't do great from 1st reciever either, and he found himself there quite alot.

Not sure about Robers, he has looked fit for the Blues, although I have no idea about the last 20mins, as he was annonomous throughout. There's not much he can do if he isn't passed the ball! But he probably needs to play at 12, not 13 because his angles of running doesn't seem to suit 13. Should he be dropped, I'm not sure. It's hard to judge him too much when he simply was not used atall in this game.

I see your point about Powell. He can offer a running threat, and he did make a few decent carries in his time on the field. He also gave away at least one stupid penalty though. Ryan Jones made an impact imo, so I'd continue with him at 8, even if Powell is fit.

We really need to improve our attacking, it's shocking that we are not more threatening considering the players we have at our disposal.

Edit. Regarding Stoddart. I thought he played quite well. Yes he probably should have taken Stephen Jones' cross field kick, but he would have been tackled into touch anyway. It was a stupid decision from Jones when we had at least a 2 man overlap at the time. Yes he did almost bugger up that try by overrunning Davies slightly, but he still scored the try, so I won't be too harsh on his there. One other knock on from a high ball was his other mistake. Countering that though, I thought he was strong whenever he got the ball in his hands. He came infield a few times and every time made yards. Not spectacular, not terrible, decent return to international rugby imo. What he is, is a finisher, unfortunately he only had one opportunity which he took.

Last edited:
Yeh, I think Jones was probably concussed. I also agree that Hook didn't do great from 1st reciever either, and he found himself there quite alot.

Not sure about Robers, he has looked fit for the Blues, although I have no idea about the last 20mins, as he was annonomous throughout. There's not much he can do if he isn't passed the ball! But he probably needs to play at 12, not 13 because his angles of running doesn't seem to suit 13. Should he be dropped, I'm not sure. It's hard to judge him too much when he simply was not used atall in this game.

I see your point about Powell. He can offer a running threat, and he did make a few decent carries in his time on the field. He also gave away at least one stupid penalty though. Ryan Jones made an impact imo, so I'd continue with him at 8, even if Powell is fit.

We really need to improve our attacking, it's shocking that we are not more threatening considering the players we have at our disposal.

Edit. Regarding Stoddart. I thought he played quite well. Yes he probably should have taken Stephen Jones' cross field kick, but he would have been tackled into touch anyway. It was a stupid decision from Jones when we had at least a 2 man overlap at the time. Yes he did almost bugger up that try by overrunning Davies slightly, but he still scored the try, so I won't be too harsh on his there. One other knock on from a high ball was his other mistake. Countering that though, I thought he was strong whenever he got the ball in his hands. He came infield a few times and every time made yards. Not spectacular, not terrible, decent return to international rugby imo. What he is, is a finisher, unfortunately he only had one opportunity which he took.

I agree with all of that but im not happy with Stoddart, he looked ok but he was not the greatest threat we had. Just felt his pace is a little lacking for an international winger. Again with options thin because lets face it Aled Brew is not international standard and Will Harries is injured again, Tom James at times looks like he is out of sorts and Czech well he's hit and miss. Prydie is not an option just purely because he has no real game time under his belt at the Ospreys. Only time will tell mind.

...im not happy with Stoddart...Just felt his pace is a little lacking for an international winger.

Seriously? Stoddart skinned Ashton a couple of times. He's very inexperienced internationally, but as far as his performance goes in comparison to a woeful welsh squad, he didn't do too badly at all.

I agree with all of that but im not happy with Stoddart, he looked ok but he was not the greatest threat we had. Just felt his pace is a little lacking for an international winger. Again with options thin because lets face it Aled Brew is not international standard and Will Harries is injured again, Tom James at times looks like he is out of sorts and Czech well he's hit and miss. Prydie is not an option just purely because he has no real game time under his belt at the Ospreys. Only time will tell mind.

Fair enough, I also have concerns over Stoddart. Who's gonna come in if Stoddart is out as suspected and neither Halfpenny or North are back? Looks loike Prydie as he was almost called up with Halfpenny out, but I'd still be seriously worried about his experience, although he has done quite well in the few caps he's had. Maybe Byrne will be used as a wing option?

Great game at the end, a lot of mistakes that could of been taken out which would of made for an even more interesting game! Good win for England in the end though and some nice tries from ashton!

Seriously? Stoddart skinned Ashton a couple of times. He's very inexperienced internationally, but as far as his performance goes in comparison to a woeful welsh squad, he didn't do too badly at all.

Who the hell is this fool??????? :p

I don't think Lydiate will get cited. As you said Olyy, it was accidental. Both commentators didn't think it was penalty or yellow. I think Davies could face a week or two ban. From the replay, it looked like he stuck out his foot as a reaction, but knew he shouldn't have done it straight after. The look on his face was of horror that he'd be spending 10 mins in the bin. The ball had obviously been collected by Ashton, so I think his excuse of trying to kick the ball is just that, an excuse to try and get off the hook. We'll see...

Won't but should. Accidental yeah, but you drop someone on their head and you should go in front of the committee. But then I favour far more stringent bans.

What do you know? You've only got 4 posts!!
:p :p :p
xxx

Here's JDs trip on Ashton

It's not quite as delayed a kick as when Flannery kicked whoever it was in the French game last year, but there was enough time to stop the kick

Last edited by a moderator:
Tindall likens Wood to Hill

Tom-Woods-England-v-Wales-6N-2011_2559490.jpg

Bright future: Tom Woods

England captain Mike Tindall paid debutant flanker Tom Wood the ultimate compliment after Friday's 26-19 victory over Wales by comparing him to Richard Hill.

24-year-old Wood had impressed boss Martin Johnson from the moment he linked up with the England squad for training last autumn and he took to Test rugby like a duck to water.
At 6ft 5in and over 16stone, the athletic Northampton flanker can play on either flank and he offers England a key line-out option.
Hill won 76 Test caps, including five for the Lions, played in all three back row positions for England and was an integral member of the triumphant 2003 World Cup team.
Wood spoke before the game of his desire to earn the respect of his new England team-mates - and he certainly did that.
"I thought he was outstanding," said Tindall, who was captaining England for the first time.
"Everywhere I seemed to look there he was. You talk about players putting their hand up and taking chances when they come along - well he took a massive step against Wales.
"I think he is definitely in that Richard Hill mould. Richard went under the radar. You have to look at film to see how good he was but I thought Tom was outstanding today - he was everywhere."
Wales number eight Andy Powell had warned Wood to be prepared for the biggest challenge of his rugby life at the Millennium Stadium but he was not fazed by the size of the occasion.
In the end, Powell failed to last until the interval but Wood was still going at the end, carrying and tackling for England as they closed out a 26-19 victory.
"Matches are made up of all the little incidents, the little fundamentals that go on to make the big picture. You have to do them. When guys make their debut that is what I really say to them," said England manager Martin Johnson.
"Tom walked out to the bright lights, the male voice choir, the band and the goat. They pushed us off our side of the field.
"But when you have got the ball, you have to be accurate and that is what he did.
"Every time he got the ball he was accurate and that is his little part of a big thing that means winning the game."
England could have Hendre Fourie available for Saturday's clash with Italy at Twickenham - but Wood hopes he has done enough to retain his place and make his home debut.
"The lads have all given me some positive feedback and a few pats on the back. I was just trying as hard as I could," Wood said.
"You have got to have confidence in yourself at this level. If you don't you will be in trouble."
http://www.planetrugby.com/story/0,25883,3551_6733198,00.html

---------------------------------------------------

Arise Sir Tom Wood, HRH.

This weather?

Big fan of Guest as well, shame he's not involved in the England setup
A backrow with him and Croft would be really rapid

Quins need to stop picking people ahead of Guest. I would honestly prefer him to Easter and maybe Skinner, and with some proper game time he could definitely get into the england setup

Hartley answers Gatland on the field

Happy winners: Chris Ashton, Dylan Hartley and Tom Wood

Dylan Hartley took great pleasure in proving to Warren Gatland and the baying Welsh crowd that he was no choker as England displayed their Six Nations ***le credentials with a 26-19 victory in Cardiff.

The feisty Northampton captain spent a fortnight in the eye of a storm after Gatland publicly questioned both his character and his temperament in the build-up to the game.
The Wales coach focused on Hartley's poor line-out performance in Northampton's Aviva Premiership defeat to Leicester in a clear attempt at unsettling the England hooker.
Hartley used Gatland's comments as motivation but kept a cool head in a raucous atmosphere under the Millennium Stadium roof to deliver a commanding performance.
England's victory was secured with two tries from Chris Ashton and a faultless kicking display from fly-half Toby Flood, who grows in authority with every Test, plus a late Jonny Wilkinson penalty.
"I got a big boo when my name got read out. I am just happy with how I played. That is the best answer to anything that was said in the build-up to the game," Hartley said.
"I put a lot of pressure on myself to prepare well and show the lads I was right for this game.
"He singled me out to be a choker under pressure and he questioned my lineout ability.
"Coming here knowing people would be looking at that area of my game, to come away with 100 per cent is the best answer."
Gatland's comments were the catalyst for a spicy build-up, as Martin Johnson described it, with barbs flying back and forth across the Severn.
On the morning of the match, Hartley's Northampton team-mate Ben Foden established himself as the pantomime villain by claiming: "We are England, we are the big country, we are going to put these guys in their place."
When England held a 23-9 lead in the second half they were one score away from doing just that, but Wales hit back with a try from Morgan Stoddart to tee up a grandstand finish.
"I got a bit of stick on the field but I didn't really mean it. It was just banter. I enjoy that about the game," Foden said.
"I think everyone had a look at Dylan after what was said in the press and he rose to the occasion. He kept his head cool, hit his lineouts and I am sure he will be delighted with his performance."
Gatland praised Hartley after the game as a "quality player", who was key to England's set piece functioning well despite the absence of injured trio Lewis Moody, Tom Croft and Courtney Lawes.
Tom Wood, another from Northampton, made his England debut in the back row and took to Test rugby like a duck to water, while Tom Palmer produced another stellar performance.
England's victory was their first in Cardiff since 2003 and it sets them up perfectly for a ***le challenge, with home games to come against Italy, Scotland and France before a trip to Ireland.
"It was physical, confrontational, passionate. It was a fun game to play," Hartley said.
"It is a massive win. To come away to a cauldron like this, we would have taken 3-0 but to put some points on the board, we are very happy.
"Regardless of how we played, the victory is the biggest thing for us. We take loads of confidence from that.
"This week we need to continue that and improve because Italy are a good team."

http://www.planetrugby.com/story/0,25883,3551_6725400,00.html

Unlucky, Warren! :lol:

best and most dignified way to silence your critics, play well dont give them anything. A fine England performance and a great start to the 6 nations.
Perfect atmosphere a proper "cauldron" - people complain about the Welsh fans booing Wilkinson but i dont see that as a big problem, they are a welsh crowd what are they going to do? Also the fact they boo him to me suggests they dislike him for a reason and that would be that he has helped England put Wales to the sword on numerous occassions!
Also there is no doubting Ashton now either and Foden looked so strong with ball in hand going forward

I love Banter, when i used to play rugby i loved having a go at the opposition. Doing shitty little things to them just to wind them up (i was a scrum half, it's my job) was great fun.
But there's something i don't like about Gatland when he starts having a go at the opposition.
We weren't favourites to begin with, i personally wanted us just to keep a low profile, go into the game, play our best and if we win then we'd all be happy, but if we lose our critics would only talk about our game. As a fan of a serverly under achieving national squad (how are we still ahead of fiji in the IRB world rankings BTW?) it hurts to watch a team - where a good handful of players are deemed "world class" - fail to perform over and over again.
The last thing we need is Gatland trying to "rattle" the opposition. The pundits always say to shut up when facing New Zealand coz they'll make us pay. That's the one team i'd happily yapp on about. They're gonna punish us anyway!
But the other 7 teams ahead of us in the world rankings (and 3 or 4 below) should be treated with respect (I'm not saying All Blacks SHOULDN'T be treated with respect BTW) and we should concentrate on analysing our game rather than giving interviews to the ******* Sun about Hartley. Nobody in Wales gave a **** about Hartley before the game and we still don't give a **** about Hartley.

I just hope we leave Scotland alone this week, keep our heads down, get out of the bastarding gym and concentrate on the rugby.
Maybe we can get some results that way...and little bit of respect from the rest of the nations instead of them laughing at us.

I love Banter, when i used to play rugby i loved having a go at the opposition. Doing shitty little things to them just to wind them up (i was a scrum half, it's my job) was great fun.
But there's something i don't like about Gatland when he starts having a go at the opposition.
We weren't favourites to begin with, i personally wanted us just to keep a low profile, go into the game, play our best and if we win then we'd all be happy, but if we lose our critics would only talk about our game. As a fan of a serverly under achieving national squad (how are we still ahead of fiji in the IRB world rankings BTW?) it hurts to watch a team - where a good handful of players are deemed "world class" - fail to perform over and over again.
The last thing we need is Gatland trying to "rattle" the opposition. The pundits always say to shut up when facing New Zealand coz they'll make us pay. That's the one team i'd happily yapp on about. They're gonna punish us anyway!
But the other 7 teams ahead of us in the world rankings (and 3 or 4 below) should be treated with respect (I'm not saying All Blacks SHOULDN'T be treated with respect BTW) and we should concentrate on analysing our game rather than giving interviews to the ******* Sun about Hartley. Nobody in Wales gave a **** about Hartley before the game and we still don't give a **** about Hartley.

I just hope we leave Scotland alone this week, keep our heads down, get out of the bastarding gym and concentrate on the rugby.
Maybe we can get some results that way...and little bit of respect from the rest of the nations instead of them laughing at us.

Not from the booing in the stadium on Friday :lol:

Not from the booing in the stadium on Friday :lol:

Bah! If they hadn't read all the hype in the newspaper, they wouldn't have given a toss about some hooker come match day.
They just wanted someone to boo at and were too lazy to boo at all 23 english boys.

Latest posts