• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Wales v England

I don't think we should see North out as a big blow. He's probably been hyped up a little too much (as we like to do). He's an excellent prospect, and will continue to improve I'm sure, but some more regional rugby when he returns will be good for him. Maybe he'll be back in time for a couple of the games towards the end of the 6 nations, and then be in contention for a WC spot. What this does give us is the opportunity to find that 4th place winger. Shane, Halfpenny and now North look set to be the top 3, but there's a number below who need to step up now.

Personally, I'd go for Stoddard. He's no 15, we all know that, but on the wing he looks excellent, including his defense. Fussell is another who deserves a shot, and Harries shouldn't be discarded. Not all that convinced with Brew and Tom James in their tests against Fiji and NZ, although neither were helped by our out of sorts backline.

I'd like to see who the better scrummaging team is. My money is on Wales as I think the England scrum a tad overrated. Wales FTW IMO.

I'd like to see who the better scrummaging team is. My money is on Wales as I think the England scrum a tad overrated. Wales FTW IMO.

with gethin jenkins it's tight. Without him, as Wales will be, England have the better scrum, provided no one South African is referreeing (in which case the scrum decisions are given on the toss of a coin).

England are the better side, but I think Wales will win it, because it's in Cardiff, Wales always play well against us, and this England team is more than capable of bottling under pressure.

I actually think Paul James is a slightly better scrummager than Gathin Jenkins. Only area he's anywhere close to Gethin though.

Paul James is the better scrummager, been well known to also. Graham Price has often criticised Gethin Jenkins of being a bit poor at loosehead at times. It's his workrate round the park that would be missed. Although James as a scrummager is a positive rather than a negative, but would have a tough job against Cole. But then Adam Jones would eat Sheridan if they were selected.

I don't think we should see North out as a big blow. He's probably been hyped up a little too much (as we like to do). He's an excellent prospect, and will continue to improve I'm sure, but some more regional rugby when he returns will be good for him. Maybe he'll be back in time for a couple of the games towards the end of the 6 nations, and then be in contention for a WC spot. What this does give us is the opportunity to find that 4th place winger. Shane, Halfpenny and now North look set to be the top 3, but there's a number below who need to step up now.

Personally, I'd go for Stoddard. He's no 15, we all know that, but on the wing he looks excellent, including his defense. Fussell is another who deserves a shot, and Harries shouldn't be discarded. Not all that convinced with Brew and Tom James in their tests against Fiji and NZ, although neither were helped by our out of sorts backline.
While I wouldn't disagree with Stoddart, I think it's about time Fussell got a go. Harries is certainly a possiblity as he's a very simular player to Shane. North is only a big blow because Shane is already going to miss this game!

Brew grew in confidence with more games for the Dragons at HC level, and with the Ospreys at ML level before it. What's to say he won't be the same? Give him time and he may turn into a fantastic international-class player.

I still think Gethin is an excellent scrummager (Better than Paul James, I'd say) and totally unreplacable in the Wales team. The entire front row is, although there is something of strength-in-depth at hooker. (Though Huw Bennet ain't part of it!)

Its Wales. Not by much, but Wales have the more established unit and that counts for a lot.

IN general, my worry about Wales is the forwards will beat us up. Jenkins gives them a lot in the loose, they've got a great second-row... only place it falls apart is subs bench and back-row, they're very much dependent on a new generation coming through there. Warburton and Lydiate are good players though. But all in all, their pack could overpower ours at which point its a very long day as our backs won't win us any games single handed.

don't think their forwards will beat us up at all. england and wales have remarkably similar strengths and weaknesses to wales in the forwards - strong tight 5 and weaker in the back row.

still, while wales edge it in the front row i think we've got better 2nd rows and far better loosies (and that's not saying much)

On paper Wales and England look very similar. As you said, pack is about on par, depending on how a couple of players from both sides go on the day. I think the tight five in general is very equal, Bradley and Alun-Wyn (who's finally back to form) are a great pairing, as are Lawes and Palmer (although I'm still not completely convinced with Palmer). Both backrows can be good on their day, although I think Wales' is coming on leaps and bounds with more competition than I can ever remember. 8 is still a bit of a worry for both teams, although Easter has been playing well of late and Ryan Jones is slowly but surely improving game on game.

Both sets of backs also have their strengths and weaknesses. England are strong bar the centres, and Wales are currently strong bar fullback and now a few injuries on the wing.

Really looking forward to this game. I'm hoping home advantage will see us edge it, but we are currently a team struggling to win. I really think were a couple of big wins away from becoming a very good team again, but it all depends if we actually secure those wins anytime soon. If we beat England I can see us becoming a force again in this 6 nations. Same for England, win in Cardiff and they're firmly on track for the Championship.

Last edited:
If I was comparing second rows...

Davies
Lawes/AWJ
Palmer

There are tiny spaces between them, but the simple uncomfortable truth for me is I really rate Bradley Davies. I think he's the closest thing to a young Martin Johnson in these Isles since the man retired. Palmer's a superb workhorse with good hands and doesn't deserve the slating he's come in for from some quarters but he won't make a match budge.

Back-row, my main worry is 7 and Croft's fitness. Croft is a massive loss for us. Moody's beginning to fall apart and should be replaced by something younger. 8's only a worry if Easter gets injured or reverts to being spectecularly brain-farty.

Overall, I do think Wales have slightly better players, but are being hamstrung more by their coaching team, look less of a team and formwise currently have a worse half-back pairing which makes a hell of a lot of difference. Last point could change though.

Stoddart's 'defence' makes me cringe.
I just don't see him performing at international level.
Fussell has worked hard and played well, so considering how Harries, Brew, North, and James have been given a go, it might be his time.
Considering Byrne's form at the moment, it wouldn't be surprised to see either Hook or Henson at 15 for the 6N.

If only Martyn Thomas was fit right now.

both teams are very close and similar in their playing styles.
come scrum time it will be vary close mabye with Wales at a very slight advantage.
Both teams have strenghts and weaknesses in their back line.
My worry is thant english backs cannot play at all if there forwards are not dominating. Thats why they struggle against teams like SA but win against Australia.

In conclusion: IF (big if) england can equal or win against Wales in the forwards then they will win by a decent margin (10 points). If wales can gain some dominance in the forwards then wales will win by 5 IMO

Heard whispers that Stephen Jones' knee injury is pretty bad, and he'll miss the 6N

Leaves the 10 shirt wide open for Henson

If we can recapture the form we had against Australia and in the second half against NZ I think we have a good chance of beating Wales, but its a home game for Wales so its hard to call. No doubt it will be a great game whoever wins. Looking forward to it!

Heard whispers that Stephen Jones' knee injury is pretty bad, and he'll miss the 6N

Leaves the 10 shirt wide open for Henson

I'd rather see Hook in it. Tovey sometime during the 6N, if his injury isn't too serious.
Henson has never really clicked at 10, and is a better centre.

Then again, Hook could be at 15 if Byrne's form doesn't improve.

Edit, Adam looked like he picked up an injury today, combined with Gethin, its not looking good.

England have this in the bag. if they play a decent team which would includ manu tuilagi (yes he's samoan but qualifies to play for england)
15. Foden (if he's injured Armatidge)
14. Ashton
13. Tuilagi
12. Hape/Flutey
11. Monye/Cueto
10. Wilkinson
9.Youngs(if injured Danny Care)
8. Haskell (yes he's usually a flanker but when he plays 8 he causes a lot of damage and scores unlike easter)
7. Moody (c)
6. Croft
5. Shaw
4. Lawes
3. Cole
2. Hartley
1. Sheridan

Whaaaaaat?
He's not even starting for Tigers yet,

Further down the line i'd love to see him play for England, but not yet

Wilkinson at 10? Shaw at 5?
We've only just managed to get rid of them!

England have this in the bag. if they play a decent team which would includ manu tuilagi (yes he's samoan but qualifies to play for england)
14. Ashton
13. Tuilagi
12. Hape/Flutey
11. Monye/Cueto
10. Wilkinson
8. Haskell (yes he's usually a flanker but when he plays 8 he causes a lot of damage and scores unlike easter)
7. Moody (c)
6. Croft
5. Shaw
4. Lawes
3. Cole
2. Hartley
1. Sheridan

no, just no

14. Ashton
13. Tuilagi
12. Hape/Flutey
11. Monye/Cueto
10. Wilkinson
7. Moody (c)
6. Croft
5. Shaw
4. Lawes
3. Cole
2. Hartley
1. Sheridan

Jesus,, really???

Also I've seen Easter score plenty...

Jon the Fox is set to return at the same time as Super Gav and a week after Cheesey Jamie. Suddenly we've got quite a few centre options. Hook to 10 ASAP, Ospreys, Wales need him there!