• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Top 14 day 26

Toulouse certainly seem to be using their whole squad, although Toby Flood hardly seems to have played for a while. He was a replacement against Oyonnax a couple of weeks ago and was in the starting XV against UBB, but apart from that we've hardly seen him. He's had some problems with his place kicking (not an area where Toulouse are wanting!) but the rest of his game hasn't been poor, so maybe he's carrying an injury, or maybe he's fallen out with J-B Ellisalde. I hope he'll be in the squd for Racing next weekend.

Yes, I believe he was but he was on the bench a couple of weeks ago so maybe we can assume he's recovered and is available for selection.

Can't believe the T14 finals fall right in line with the June test window. I mean I know its the case it just feels ike it shouldn't be too hard to avoid clashes surely?

Can't believe the T14 finals fall right in line with the June test window. I mean I know its the case it just feels ike it shouldn't be too hard to avoid clashes surely?

this is what happens when there are too many games in a season TOP 14, 26 + 3 barrage games Euro 6 pool games + 3 barrage games far too many!!!!!!!!!

who are ya telling?! try and explain that to the morons running FFR and LNR

Clermont have been the most consistent team this season and have finished first - and thus deserve to be champions.

As gaston says, the season has too many games much to the detriment of the national side, so can we hope that some day, common sense will prevail and the play offs will be consigned to the history books!

we hope that some day, common sense will prevail and the play offs will be consigned to the history books!

Don't hold your breath. Not many sign of reform on the horizon. LNR have signed TV rights to the T14 for nearly 100M euros. Paul Jabbah Goze is not going to rock the boat. He already said he doesn't want 12 teams in the league.

LNR are accountants. They're marketing a very marketable product. The national team doesn't even feature on their radar. And if they were to introduce any reform they'll do it to suit the clubs.

I wouldn't know what the solution would be though. 14 Teams playing home and away comes to 364 regular season matches (14 x 26). Just taking two teams out then it comes to 264 matches (12 x 22). Would cutting down the tournament by 4 weeks be worth losing way more than a quarter of the income generating matches? I'm not saying 2 weeks less wouldn't help hugely but is it feasible to shrink the tournament by that much considering the investment? I would think not.

I would make a suggestion that would cut off 7 weeks while keeping the total regular season games at a respectable 352 but I fear it'd be too complecated and not as 'clean' a format as the current one.

16 teams. Round 1 is a round robin where all teams face each other once (15 games x 16 teams, 15 weeks). The tournament splits in two at that stage and the top 8 play each other a 2nd time for a return match and ditto with the bottom 8 teams [2 x (7 games x 8 teams, 7 weeks)]. In a sense you double the drama by having a cut off 2/3rds in. This also ensures the top teams have all but a mini play-off session and its strength vs strength assured at the end so no finals series while the bottom teams also get to play for something even if it isn't the main event. That's 22 weeks, off from 29 but still close to the same number of regular matches. I know there are a number of holes in there. Just thought I'd put down my 2 cents.

Last edited:
many of these formats have been thought about but i'm fairly sure the format will stay the same for a while yet. there is far too much money involved to start changing things Canal + are paying just short of 100 million per season for the next 5 yrs so there will be no changes in the near future until this new contract finishes and its not even started yet.

Would cutting down the tournament by 4 weeks be worth losing way more than a quarter of the income generating matches? I'm not saying 2 weeks less wouldn't help hugely but is it feasible to shrink the tournament by that much considering the investment? I would think not.

Canal+ are dictating what goes on or what doesn't. They're paying for it.

how do you think all the games for the last Day were all scheduled at 8:45 pm on a Sunday evening...

i'm afraid were there is money there is greed and dictatorship, good job Canal + are not running for Presidency next year, mind you they could do no worse than the Muppets in charge today!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Latest posts