• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Top 14 day 26

gaston le gaff

First XV
Country Flag
France
Club or Nation
Montpellier
THE FINAL DAY BEFORE THE PLAY-OFFS, STILL UNDECIDED, there are so many combinations between Clermont, who are assured of a direct semi, in 1st or 2nd place, the rest between Montpellier, Toulon, Racing, and even Toulouse have a fighting chance of a home barrage. All games are on Sun evening ko.20.45. [TABLE="class: classic-table matchs-table hr-link-table"]
<tbody>[TR]
[TH="class: sorting-desc"]
Date [/TH]
[TH="class: text-right, colspan: 2"]Domicile[/TH]
[TH="class: text-center, colspan: 3"][/TH]
[TH="colspan: 2"]Extérieur[/TH]
[/TR]
[TR="class: before"]
[TD="class: cell-date"] 05/06[/TD]
[TD="class: cell-team-a"] FCG
[/TD]
[TD="class: cell-logo-a"]
Club-rugby-FC-grenoble-rugby.png
[/TD]
[TD="class: cell-before-score"][/TD]
[TD="class: cell-score"] 20h45[/TD]
[TD="class: cell-after-score"][/TD]
[TD="class: cell-logo-b"]
s.png
[/TD]
[TD="class: cell-team-b"] ST
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TD="class: cell-team-a"] RCT

[/TD]
logo_toulon_rct_2015_2016_3_etoiles_hd.png
[/TD]
Club-Rugby-Union-bordeaux-Belges_0.png
[/TD]
[TD="class: cell-team-b"] UBB
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TD="class: cell-team-a"] R92
[/TD]
logo_racing92_2015.png
[/TD]
Club-rugby-montpellier-herault.png
[/TD]
[TD="class: cell-team-b"] MHR
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TD="class: cell-team-a"] CABCL39
[/TD]
Club-Rugby-Brive-Correze-limousin.png
[/TD]
rugby-club-section-paloise-bearn-pyrenees.png
[/TD]
[TD="class: cell-team-b"] SP
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TD="class: cell-team-a"] SUA23
[/TD]
rugby-club-sporting-union-agen-lot-et-garonne.png
[/TD]
Club-Rugby-Oyonnax.png
[/TD]
[TD="class: cell-team-b"] USO
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TD="class: cell-team-a"] ASM
[/TD]
Club-Rugby-Clermont-auvergne-ASM.png
[/TD]
Club-Rugby-Atlantique-stade-rochelais-la-rochelle_0.png
[/TD]
[TD="class: cell-team-b"] ASR
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TD="class: cell-team-a"] CO
[/TD]
Club-Rugby-castres-olympique.png
[/TD]
LogParis-d1b84_0.png
[/TD]
[TD="class: cell-team-b"] SFP
[/TD]
[/TR]
</tbody>[/TABLE]

Last edited:
So its a big Sunday night - why do we have to put up wth these matches on a Sunday night rather than 15.00 on a Saturday?

Gaston: rhetorical question - I know effing tv!!

Good question TM!

The two big questions! Will Montpellier topple Racing and will ST beat Grenoble.
Yes x2 should mean a home barrage fro ST!!!!
And let's hope UBB beat RCT - unlikely, though!

So its a big Sunday night - why do we have to put up wth these matches on a Sunday night rather than 15.00 on a Saturday?

Gaston: rhetorical question - I know effing tv!!

you know as well as i do that the new contract that Canal+ has signed i think till 2023, and worth some 90 odd millions €'s per season, and that if they wanted all the games on could be played on Monday evening, they wold get it!!!!!! if you look at the games on Sun and think about the travelling fans who work on Monday no thought or consideration has been given to the travelling supporters, the nearest is Brive v Pau and its not exactly what i would call a derby fixture the other 6 away teams have a minimum of 300/400kms to travel and some even more. Once again merci Canal+!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

- - - Updated - - -

Good question TM!

The two big questions! Will Montpellier topple Racing and will ST beat Grenoble.
Yes x2 should mean a home barrage fro ST!!!!
And let's hope UBB beat RCT - unlikely, though!

Your theory is obviously based on the "Pigs can fly syndrome", it is all possible but Racing if they loose and get a point could throw your calculations out of the window.On goal difference Racing have the edge over Toulouse, 14-3 for Toulouse and 28-13 for Racing, but a bonus pt win for Toulouse would cancel all that out and give them a home barrage, as i said "Pigs can fly syndrome'

teams for tomorrow evenings clash Racing Metro v Montpellier, and who goes directly into the semis, Montpellier, Racing, or Toulon

Le XV de départ: Mogg ; Nagusa, Tuitavake, Steyn, O'Connor ; Catrakilis (o), Paillaugue (m) ; Spies, Qera, Ouedraogo ; Willemse, Du Plessis ; J. Du Plessis, B.Du Plessis, Nariashvili
Remplaçants: Ivaldi, Watremez, Watchou, Liebenberg, Galletier, Wright, Lucas, Mas

Le XV de départ: Dulin ; Rokocoko, Chavancy, Vulivuli, Imhoff ; Goosen (o), Machenaud (m) ; Claassen, Nyanga, Lauret ; Carizza, Le Roux ; Tameifuna, Szarzewski (c), Vartanov
Les Remplaçants: Chat, Brugnaut, Kruger, Barba, Chauveau, Andre, Javaux, Ducalcon.

Sorry but after your comment on the Pro2 thread, it has to be Racing!!

Sorry but after your comment on the Pro2 thread, it has to be Racing!!

the truth hurts my friend.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

- - - Updated - - -

Gastons predicktions for this last weekend of TOP 14. Firstly what my heart says, home wins for Brive, Agen, and Castres, Away wins for Toulouse, Bordeaux, La Rochelle, and of course Montpellier.
Now for a reality check........Home wins for Toulon, Brive, Clermont, Agen, Castres, away wins for Toulouse, and of course Montpellier, who remain in seond and qualify for a direct semi, we then beat Toulouse in the semi and Toulon or Clermont in the final, Bouclier goes to Montpellier, and Gaston is a happy bunny, all fine on paper but doing it is another matter, but still quietly confident.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sublime 2 minutes from Goosen there. If he could've taken charge like this in the Euro final..

Harsh yellow for us resulting in conceding a try at the end of the half. Pity, we were looking good for a BP win and home semi. Well, a lot of rugby still to be played but you somehow get the feeling Montpellier just need to keep it tight with the forwards especially with us a forward down.

Last edited:
Hell of a beating South Africa took from Racing there and now they have to play next week....mind you they need the practice after that display!!

Thought Salem X had great game as ref apart from the Nyanga yellow which was somewhat over the top!

Hell of a beating South Africa took from Racing there and now they have to play next week....mind you they need the practice after that display!!

Thought Salem X had great game as ref apart from the Nyanga yellow which was somewhat over the top!

a mere 15pts the difference was 53 pts at Montpellier. a barrage at home will swell the coffers for Mohed.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! and we can beat Castres next Sunday

Castres have upset a few teams at this stage before......the SA team will have to play a bit better than today!!

I thought the ref (barring the yellow which I too felt was a bit harsh) had a very assured game indeed. Better than I've seen in a long while across all leagues I've watched.

I felt like the Montpol pack had the beating of us particularly at the set piece but they couldn't string two passes together on attack all while Machenaud, Goosen, Chavancy and Rokocoko were in splendid form. You wouldn't know we are missing the likes of Carter and Thomas in the back if you didn't look at the roster. Special mention to Chavancy who was two times more comitted this match than the next player on either team- the man had no regard for his own safety.

Can someone please explain to me why Racing getting a BP would not have helped getting us into the top two- I mean, how do the tie breakers work?

I thought the ref (barring the yellow which I too felt was a bit harsh) had a very assured game indeed. Better than I've seen in a long while across all leagues I've watched.

I felt like the Montpol pack had the beating of us particularly at the set piece but they couldn't string two passes together on attack all while Machenaud, Goosen, Chavancy and Rokocoko were in splendid form. You wouldn't know we are missing the likes of Carter and Thomas in the back if you didn't look at the roster. Special mention to Chavancy who was two times more comitted this match than the next player on either team- the man had no regard for his own safety.

Can someone please explain to me why Racing getting a BP would not have helped getting us into the top two- I mean, how do the tie breakers work?

First tie break is the performance in actual matches between the tied clubs in that season....as the win and bonus points were apparently the same, it comes down to points scored differential and Racing were truly spanked down at Montpellier!!

the yellow seemed harsh but; it was for repeated faults so anyone could have got it , as it happens it was Nyanga,(last fault) we made too many mistakes behind a domminate pack and especially Goosen played and orchestred everything with precision from the 10 spot. He combined well with all his backs who looked more dangerous than us and our attack was fairly sterile to say the least. It was always a tough call to go and win at Racing but a home tie v Castres will please the fans and swell the coffers.As far as the bonus point goes if they had scored it and Toulon not, they would have been 2nd but it did not happen.Toulon they would have had to not gain their bonus point v Bordeaux. The finishing second for Racing was always a possibility but highly unlikely and Toulon were always favourites even infront of us.

- - - Updated - - -

Castres have upset a few teams at this stage before......the SA team will have to play a bit better than today!!

This is true but we are not the same team that has been afflicted on by Castres over the past few seasons and i am fairly confident we will beat them, the real issue is fatigue can we go all the way Toulon will have a 2 week break as from today so they have to be favourites for the semi v us hopefully, and the game v Castres will be a tough affair to say the least, Toulou, Bias, Combezou, Beattie all ex montpellier players now playing for Castres!!!!!!! We normally have one bad game then it changes, remember after losing to Pau at home 10 straight victories, we now only need 3!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Toulouse certainly put Grenoble to the sword! I thought they would win, but not by that many points.
Away to Racing next week is a different prospect altogether and surely 75% of the time a victory for Racing would be expected, but a barrage match is a one off and the odds on a Racing win may be lengthened a bit.
Allez ST!

As you say each match is 80mins and you win you continue, lose you snooze, so anything can happen but i fear the semis will be Clemont v Racing and Toulon v Montpellier, but Toulouse and Castres will not lie down and die so they will have to be beaten.!!!!!!!

Oh, well. I certainly won't complain about an extra fixture but I think the players' bodies will not like it. Three tough games were anything can happen. Gonna be a long wait.

the more selected players are obviously getting tired, 26 TOP 14 6 Euro pool games, +3 for us as we reached and won the Challenge Final same for Racing, now 3 play-off game if you reach the final so if the TOP 14 final was Montpllier v Racing that would be 38 games, i'm not going to count players selected for Internationals 3 Nov tests, 5, 6 Nations or minimum of 2/3 pre season games etc etc far too many games!!!!!!! not surprised stress fractures and other abnormal injuries are occuring more and more often in today's Pro rugby. You ask the players to put their bodies on the line but the bodies can only take so much beating before they break!!!!!!!!!!!!!

the more selected players are obviously getting tired, 26 TOP 14 6 Euro pool games, +3 for us as we reached and won the Challenge Final same for Racing, now 3 play-off game if you reach the final so if the TOP 14 final was Montpllier v Racing that would be 38 games, i'm not going to count players selected for Internationals 3 Nov tests, 5, 6 Nations or minimum of 2/3 pre season games etc etc far too many games!!!!!!! not surprised stress fractures and other abnormal injuries are occuring more and more often in today's Pro rugby. You ask the players to put their bodies on the line but the bodies can only take so much beating before they break!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thought that was why you have big squads?

Thought that was why you have big squads?

without doubt and if the TOP 14 games were a little easier, well some of them, all the squad would be used but you know as well as i do when a team is winning difficult to change even if the squad is around players 40, but injuries international callups and the like do give others a small window of chance, but if you look at most teams they are using the same 23/26 players week in week out. Take Nic White Aussie international and can't get a game because Benoit Paillaugue is playing out of his skin, difficult to leave him out.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!