• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Top 14 day 1 2016/17

Madigan 6 - Carter 3 to make it a worthy 18-9 to Bordeaux!!

Toulouse won't be expected to do much having lost some players and last season seemed to have abandoned/lost the traditional game that we have expected of them over the years. UBB could ruffle the feathers of the top teams

No such expectations over here from what I hear - expectations are always high and this season is no different.

Don't think we'll bother chasing both league and Europe. Europe will take a back seat and it's better that way. Le Bouclier comes first. Maybe it's a bit early to expect the new staff to win it in their 2nd season but we'll see.
We'll use Europe as a dress rehearsal for some of the big league games which is what we did lat season with success when we topped the league in January. We have the best home record (11 wins)+ 4 straight wins home and away over Toulon. Plenty of positives to work off for the new staff.

Solid start with our first win over Montpellier. Excellent game from Bézy and Huget on his return.

Our youngsters have another season under their belt Marchand Camara Aldegheri (28 games last season!) have earned their stripes as first starters this is the season to cement their place. We replaced the oldies (Johnson Steenkampf) with those 3 kids just after HT and they held their ground tonight against top internationals like Bismark DuPlessis so they are ready.

With Huget and with Guitoune we have 2 world class wingers. Palisson is also a nice option on the wing.

Our recruitment has been solid without having to forsake our identity like some others.

I see 6 contenders for the ***le: ASM, Toulouse, Racing, RCT, MHR, SF which makes it far more open than anything the 6N or AI has to offer ATM.

Lyon have the potential to stay in T14 if they sign the right people. Bayonne will struggle. Pau should hold their ground. Question mark about SF? Think they'll bounce back though.

Last edited:
there's a long way to go yet, 1 down 25 to go + European games, this is just the start of a very long and tough season, physically and mentally, which end on June 4th in Paris for the 2 best teams.

- - - Updated - - -

there's a long way to go yet, 1 down 25 to go + European games, this is just the start of a very long and tough season, physically and mentally, which end on June 4th in Paris for the 2 best teams.

No such expectations over here from what I hear - expectations are always high and this season is no different.

Don't think we'll bother chasing both league and Europe. Europe will take a back seat and it's better that way. Le Bouclier comes first. Maybe it's a bit early to expect the new staff to win it in their 2nd season but we'll see.
We'll use Europe as a dress rehearsal for some of the big league games which is what we did lat season with success when we topped the league in January. We have the best home record (11 wins)+ 4 straight wins home and away over Toulon. Plenty of positives to work off for the new staff.

Solid start with our first win over Montpellier. Excellent game from Bézy and Huget on his return.

Our youngsters have another season under their belt Marchand Camara Aldegheri (28 games last season!) have earned their stripes as first starters this is the season to cement their place. We replaced the oldies (Johnson Steenkampf) with those 3 kids just after HT and they held their ground tonight against top internationals like Bismark DuPlessis so they are ready.

With Huget and with Guitoune we have 2 world class wingers. Palisson is also a nice option on the wing.

Our recruitment has been solid without having to forsake our identity like some others.

I see 6 contenders for the ***le: ASM, Toulouse, Racing, RCT, MHR, SF which makes it far more open than anything the 6N or AI has to offer ATM.

Lyon have the potential to stay in T14 if they sign the right people. Bayonne will struggle. Pau should hold their ground. Question mark about SF? Think they'll bounce back though.

Yes, I can see Toulouse giving priority to the Brennus, but even the most optimistic supporter won't expect them to win it. In my opinion, finishing in the Top 6 would be a reasonable expectation.

please explain i'am ??????

All the people on this board who care more about the construct of the team and not the product

They want all the players to play in their home nation while I just want to see great rugby

French fans just want to support their club and be entertained and the players seem to be both enjoying themselves and giving their best

Best product in rugby

- - - Updated - - -

***le hangover? I suppose its early season and UBB will be tough at home.

It's more that racing only had two weeks to train

Yes, I can see Toulouse giving priority to the Brennus, but even the most optimistic supporter won't expect them to win it. In my opinion, finishing in the Top 6 would be a reasonable expectation.

Not very optimistic from Mr Positivity and Al. We've won 19 league ***les so you can let the hair down a bit :)

All the people on this board who care more about the construct of the team and not the product

They want all the players to play in their home nation while I just want to see great rugby

French fans just want to support their club and be entertained and the players seem to be both enjoying themselves and giving their best

Best product in rugby

I just knew you and I would get on......!!

Ab's (that is Aviron Bayonne for the uneducated not some master race!!!) are giving a very weakened ASM a bit of a game on Sky...... 23-13 after 53 minutes!!

Great win and in style from the Bayonnaise!!

I would be even more delighted were I not a BO supporter......(joke - Gaston - joke!!!!!!)

I hope they continue to play in the same vein but fear they will have to become pragmatic to survive!

I have always loved the atmosphere at the Jean Dauger and, if I were to change allegiance (which I am not) the only other French club for me would be AB's!

really enjoying the precedent set by the french referees this season

using the whistle to ensure fair and open play

unlike in the SH where they are afraid to use the whistle cause it will stop the game, then the game turns into a cluster****

really enjoying the precedent set by the french referees this season

using the whistle to ensure fair and open play

unlike in the SH where they are afraid to use the whistle cause it will stop the game, then the game turns into a cluster****

I thought that Salem and Gauzerre yesterday both had good games BUT, apart from the two crooked feed penalties, only a few of the feeds were genuinely straight!

I thought that Salem and Gauzerre yesterday both had good games BUT, apart from the two crooked feed penalties, only a few of the feeds were genuinely straight!

yeah, but you blow the whistle a couple times a year and they will get the lesson (obviously I would want them to nail them every time but oh well)

it wasn't only the feeds though, in the toulon-bayonne game there was a scrum awarded when a ruck collapsed (i don't know the last time i saw that happen) he did allow offenses to do whatever they wanted on mauls though

so not perfect, but a much more free flowing game

I have always loved the atmosphere at the Jean Dauger and, if I were to change allegiance (which I am not) the only other French club for me would be AB's!

me too. It's a special place to watch the game. Unique atmosphere with always great singing and a very partisan crowd. I missed my trips to the basque country last season - even as an out-and-out Toulousain fan, Biarritz Bayonne (along with Bordeaux and Clermont) are my favourite away trips.
PS Tony it's never too late to switch allegiance. A basque club for another one, no one will notice ;)

- - - Updated - - -

Great win and in style from the Bayonnaise!!

I hope they continue to play in the same vein but fear they will have to become pragmatic to survive!

Dominguez is already blown a gasket after Day 1. Poor Diego his lack of experience is going to show in a long tough season, he's in for a tough ride and going to get found out very quickly. Mourad must already be breathing down his neck...

It'll be a long season for Bayonne. They may claim a few scalps at home but they'll struggle.

Ab's (that is Aviron Bayonne for the uneducated not some master race!!!) are giving a very weakened ASM a bit of a game on Sky...... 23-13 after 53 minutes!!

stay off the sauce Tony, in France we had AB V Toulon, Sky have mastered the art of fantasy rugby.!!!!!!!! great game by AB all the same they deserved their win excellent start by the team. FTD very poor for Toulon.

stay off the sauce Tony, in France we had AB V Toulon, Sky have mastered the art of fantasy rugby.!!!!!!!! great game by AB all the same they deserved their win excellent start by the team. FTD very poor for Toulon.

No idea what you are on about......!

Last edited: